Sign in to follow this  
derleth

Buyer Beware

I won’t ever be purchasing anything from Adventure RV of Sevierville,TN again and would recommend that anyone who does to be very wary if they do.

I recently purchased a Maxxfan Deluxe with remote, from Adventure RV of Sevierville, TN. The purchase was made on-line and was based on a google search for a remote operated Maxxfan. The search returned a number of vendors that carried this product and after reviewing a few and selected the Adventure RV product based on their excellent price and the product description posted on their web site. The Maxxfan was chosen because I currently have a manual operated Maxxfan installed and figured that installation would be an easy swap out of the fan unit without disturbing the roof penetration.

After receiving the unit I installed it without any problems (4 screws and 2 wire nuts) and then broke out the operating instructions. At that point found that the fan I received didn’t match the description of the unit I had ordered. The Website description was: “ … Features a powerful 10 speed fan motor, thermostat, air intake and exhaust. Includes back up controls on the fan. Fan can be run with the lid closed (ceiling fan mode)….” The fan received has a 4 speed motor, NO back up controls and NO ceiling fan mode. When I contacted Adventure RV I was told that the fan description on their website was a “typo” (which they corrected immediately after getting off the phone with me) but since I had installed the fan it was now “used” and couldn’t be returned. I explained that the unit was undamaged/ appeared in NEW condition and could be returned in the original shipping packaging but the answer remained the same “it’s used now.” In review of the P/N and S/N I was able to figure out that this was a unit manufactured in 2008 rather than a New 2010/2011 and that the description was from a different P/N.

This experience has left bad taste in my mouth with regards to the trustworthiness of vendors in today’s economy and has reinforced the old adage “Buyer Beware” - especially when vendors use deception in their product description. Another lesson relearned.