wnytaxman

Aluminum Wheels

We have a 2011 Berkshire which came with steel wheels and the stainless steel inserts. We are giving serious thought to switching out the steel for Alcoa Durabrites or Accurides. Has anyone done this? What are the pros and cons?

Guest BillAdams

I am not sure that there are any pros but the cons would be taking perfectly good wheels, throwing them away and replacing them with an expensive wheel that requires more maintenance than your current wheels.

Thanks Bill for the reponse. The pros as I understand them to be are that the aluminum wheels are lighter which allows more carrying capacity on the rig, they tend to hold air better than the steel because they are one piece, and you eliminate the squeaks of the stainless steel liners. I was curious about whether or not anyone who has gone the route of changing the steel for aluminum and what their reactions were to the change. I would try to sell my steel wheels and liners if I do switch to aluminum.

Guest BillAdams

It sounds like you have already made your decision as you have more information about the differences than I do. What is it going to cost you to save 60-120# of wheel weight? If that gives you more carrying capacity and you load up your coach with more "stuff" what have you saved?

A shot of air now and then doesn't sound like a bad thing to me if I can avoid spending hundreds of dollars. I am frugal (some would say cheap) so I simply have a hard time removing a perfectly good piece of hardware only to replace it with a similar perfectly good piece of hardware. Now, if the wife wants it, that's different. Let it be so!

Unless I simply can't get by with what I've got I am not going to replace it.

Remember, I am talking about me and I do not want to pretend that I know what you should or should not do. If it feels good, go for it!

Actually Bill, we asked around some more and decided to not get the aluminum wheels. I think we are headed more toward the Tire Pressure Monitoring System as a better alternative. The wheels look cool, but for about $2500, they are pricey for something that is mostly looks rather than function.

Guest BillAdams

Great! Now go get those wheels rolling. There's so much to see and do.

Well, I'm late to the party but I did it in Sept 2010. Got the wheels from a truck wrecking yard, had them polished by a wheel polishing outfit and then had new tires put on. One of the reasons for going to new rims was going to 305/70 tires from 275/70's on the front to match the axle capacity of 14,600#'s. They do look much better but they also take more care since I didn't get the Durabrite finish.

Taxman, you made a good choice. As Bill said, why change out good rims that are easy to care for, for Aluminum rims are nice, also expensive. They also take a great deal of work to stay looking nice. You said that you thought the steel rims didn't hold the air as wells as Aluminum. Even if you changed out your steel for aluminum you may still have steel rims on your inside duels.

Now shine up those easy to care for Stainless Covers, pack up the coach and take those kids out and make memories that will last a lifetime.

Happy RVing. :)

I changed my steel wheels for aluminum wheels awhile back because of the looks and easy care..I put the steel wheels in the local paper for sale and sold them the first day...I really like the looks of the aluminum but thats just me!!! I also tow a CORVETTE!! He He

As a retired 40 yrs over the road truck driver,you see aluminum wheels on big rigs solely to reduce weight of truck to allow more payload.

I was at an RV show here in Atlanta and very disappointed in Forest River for putting those stupid inserts in steel wheels, makes rig look cheap in my opinion... most Alcoa's aluminum are high polish an require only soap an water to look good for years, yes you can take them to a very high polish shine with a buffer, but not necessary in my opinion to look nice ...... in my forty years i have never had any problem with aluminum rims. I've run them front and back.

We've got a Georgetown 378 with aluminum. I always wondered how many owners know they got aluminum out side an steel inside, a little trick big riggers use to make there rig look nice when weight for them is not an issue ...... would like to hear how you like your Berkshire .... :)

I run aluminum wheels in all positions because of the trueness of the wheels and not the weight reduction. Because the wheel is much thicker at the lugs the inner dual is moved out about 3/4 inch. I needed that extra clearance when I changed axles, for the shock clearance.

All I have to say is Location, Location, Location. If one lives in the Northeast with all the rain and dirt with a few other things thrown in, it’s real hard to keep them clean and if you do not keep them clean they start to pit and sooner or later they start to leak air.

Thinking not on my dime.

Makes me cheap to, R.M.