jlsnyder

Cortez, CO to Cheyenne, WY and Mt. Rushmore to Cody, WY

Question

Planning 2011 summer trip. Will visit Mesa Verde in Cortez, CO and the Durango area. What is the easiest route (fewest grades) when leaving that area to Cheyenne, WY? Any great overnight suggestions on the way to Cheyenne?

We will then head to Mt. Rushmore, Cody, Yellowstone, Oregon and back home to So. CA. What is the best route between Mt. Rushmore and Cody, WY? Remember a steep grade from a trip taken in a vehicle years ago.

Class A, 2007 34' Dolphin, Ford Triton V10. Towing Ford Ranger truck.

Any suggestions appreciated!

12 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams

First, if you are going to visit Cortez you should also plan a visit to Canyon De Chelly which is just a bit SW of Cortez in the town of Chinle, AZ. You will also pass by the 4 corners area so while it's just a huge tourist trap it does make a nice photo op standing at the corner of 4 States (I know, it's been determined to really be about 1/2 mile away, but who cares!).

Between Cortez and Denver we always visit Glenwood Springs, CO and spend some time at the hot springs. A morning dip after breakfast and then a return trip after dinner and before bed is just so relaxing. There will be a big climb as you go over the mountain toward Denver but just take your time as it's a great 4/6 lane highway. You will head over Vail pass at about 11,000 feet. The rest of the drive to Cheyenne should be uneventful but there will be some hills and valleys but nothing to be concerned about while traveling the Interstates. Before you get to Glenwood Springs you will also be passing through the Moab, UT area. Canyon Land and Arches are must see locations if you have not been in this area before.

I have not made the trip from Cheyenne to Mt. Rushmore but you are going to have about 150 miles of driving off the Interstates to get there to take a look at your maps. I suspect that this will still be a very good drive without issue but I am just speculating. From Mt. Rushmore you will pass Devils Tower on your way to Yellowstone. It's an interesting geological formation but not really not much else. It's about a 2-3 hour visit unless you are a serious rock climber.

Now, about the trip to Yellowstone from there. If you want to go to Cody and then Yellowstone you are going to have to do some mountain driving on some 2 lane roads. We did this drive in a 40' but with a small toad but if you take your time the switchbacks are easily handled (sometimes using both lanes) and you will climb for awhile and then down through a canyon. It's really a beautiful drive and the only logical way to get to Cody directly. You will notice signs that say take I-90 for the easier drive to Yellowstone and they are correct. However, this route completely by-passes Cody and you would have to make a separate trip from Yellowstone back to Cody and then back to Yellowstone to head on your way. It could be a day trip while staying at Yellowstone as it's about 60 miles from the East gate to Cody.

Have fun, it's a great trip!

Thank you for the information and the extra side-trip tips! Will have to check them out.

So I-70 is the best recommended route out of Cortez to Cheyenne I guess? No one has some secret way out without the steep grades? We drove over Wolf Creek Pass above Pagosa Springs quite a while back and I remember being a nervous wreck as the passenger. You are right - we will just have to relax, take it slow and take in all the beautiful scenery along the way. As to the route from Mt. Rushmore to Cody, I read somewhere where a person recommended taking Hwy. 310/120 off the I-90 down to Cody. More miles, but less mountain-driving stress vs. going down Hwy. 16. Has anyone else taken Hwy. 120?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the tip on the wind in Cheyenne. Another thing I get nervous about! Geez, should I really be riding around in an RV being the nervous nelly that I am???!!! We encountered terrible wind in AZ last year on I-10 I think around Wilcox and it nearly blew us off the road. Definitely something to be watching out for. Thanks again.

Joyce

I can't speak for the south end of your route, but as you get near Mt. Rushmore, check out Custer State Park. It's huge, has several campgrounds, and is just lovely, and you'll see as many bison, wild burros, and other wonderful wildlife as you desire. You'll need reservations, so investigate soon if you think you want to go there.

Judy Bass

Altadena, CA

Roadtrek 93 Pop

If I were traveling to Mt. Rushmore I would also continue 50 miles east on I90 to Wall or Cactus Flat S.D. to drive the 40 mile loop on Hwy 240 thru the Badlands National Park.

Thanks for reminding us about Custer SP. We camped there once previously but I decided to add it to our trip this time around too - even managed to get a reservation! Have never been to Wall or the Badlands but hope to include it. Especially looking forward to visiting the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary. Lots to see and do in that area - can't wait!

Joyce

Guest BillAdams

If you need to skip one, skip Wall (do you really need free ice water?) but be sure to make the Badlands!

We made a trip from the Denver area down to Durango last year. We took I25 to Pueblo. From there we took I50 to Canon City. We spent the night which allowed us time to take in the Royal Gorge sites. From Canon City we continued on to Durango, traveling I50 to 285, to 112, to 160. It is all mostly 2 lane highways but the scenery can't be beat! This drive did take us down the Wolf Creek Pass which can be a bit hair raising but it is also BEAUTIFUL. We just took it slow and enjoyed the ride!

Mesa Verde National Park does have a campground inside the park. Only a few of the sites have electric hookups the rest are all dry camping but we love to stay there - you just can't beat the night sky! If you have the time Colorado Springs is worth a couple of days - you can visit Garden of the Gods, the Olympic Training Center ( they do tours ) and the USAF Academy. You can also day trip out to Cripple Creek and make the drive up Pikes Peak ( or take the cog railway) We stay at Cheyenne Mountain State Park - another beautiful campground.

We also love the Fort Collins/Loveland area but this could be because of all the Micro-breweries!! We have used Boyd Lake State Park in Loveland as a home base for day trips into Rocky Mountain National Park - a not to be missed National Park in our opinions...:) The New Belgium Brewery ( makers of Fat Tire, amongst other great beers) along with O'Dells and Fort Collins Brewery are all worth a visit as well!! Fort Collins is also a fun, funky college town with a great downtown area.

Seems you have been given lots of good info on the Black Hills area and I'm glad you got a reservation at Custer State Park - it's an amazing place. Besides the wildlife loop and the Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway ( be sure to pick up a brochure so you don't miss any of the unique sites on this National Scenic Byway ) you can easily get to Mt Rushmore, Jewel Cave and Wind Cave National Parks.

If you do decide to make the drive through the Badlands ( and I would second the recommendation to skip Wall Drug if you have limited time!) be sure and stop off at the Minute Man Missile Historic Site - here's a link: http://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm They do offer tours but you need to make reservations ahead of time - it is a very unique look at our not so long ago history!

Have a great trip.....

Be careful when you go to South Dakota. The Sturgis motorcycle run is in the first week of August and you will not find a place to stay within 100 miles.

I am a newcomer to the forum. We live in Custer SD in the southern Black Hills and very close to Custer State Park. The Sturgis motorcycle rally is Aug 8-14, but there is also a "pre-week" the week before that is almost as hectic. It can get very busy in these parts at that time, although Custer is usually not too bad. In addition, local media is reporting this will be a big tourism year in the Black Hills and many RV parks in the area are full/almost full. We are planning another trip to Yellowstone in late June and will stay on the east side this time at Wapiti's Yellowstone Valley Inn. When I made a reservation on April 23, I got the last site for June 27-30.

If you can also travel in September, the Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup is Monday, Sept 26 with many activities in the week leading up to the actual roundup.

Hank Whitney

2005 Mandalay DP

2007 Honda CRV

We are new members and we are just loving all the great suggestions for our upcoming trip! As to the Sturgis rally, we were one of "those people" and attended the rally in 2004 on our motorcycle. Alas,our Harley Davidson motorcycle has since been traded in on a motorhome :) We will be out of the Black Hills by that time but sure do recommend to others visiting the area to stay away near the end of July thru mid-August not only to avoid all the bikers but to avoid all the exorbitantly high prices too. All those "biker" folks plan well in advance for the historical event and pretty much snap up any place they can call home for a while.

Living in California where campsite reservations are just about a must for camping at any time of the year at the popular sites, we have secured our reservations for our upcoming trip well in advance out of habit. We yearn for the day when we can just take off on the road without a care in the world...and no reservations! The only worries we have about our trip is that we may want to stay longer in a certain area than we have allowed, but we'll have to move on to the next reservation. We will be on a schedule to get our grandson back home in time for the start of the new school year so we think it will all be good. Next time out we'll just wing it and see what happens!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions!

Joyce