Sign in to follow this  
gmoreno

Drop Dual Hitch Adapter

I'll be towing a 2002 Mini Cooper -- automatic transmission -- front wheels up on a tow dolly with surge brakes. I have a 35-foot Class A motorhome. First, is there a formula used to calculate the drop length of a hitch, assuming a drop hitch is necessary?

Next, I'm considering a dual hitch adpater with a 4-inch drop. The most bottom hitch for the tow dolly (assuming 4-inch drop is what I need), while the upper hitch will be used to attach a Reese 4-bike carrier. The Mini will have a Thule roof rack, but I will be using it for my cargo carrier (Excursion Model). Also, RV ladder bike carriers only transport 2 bikes. Any RVers out there currently use a dual hitch system with similiar applications? Can this be done?

Thanks,

Robert (gmoreno)

Regarding the drop needed for your hitch to the tow dolly, there really isn't what you would call a formula. Place the tow dolly on a level surface and prop up the hitch so that the arm to the dolly is level. Typically these are in an S shape so level the portion of the arm that attaches to the motor home. Check your owners manual for exact information on how to level the tow dolly. Measure the height from ground to the bottom of the dolly hitch.

Next, with your motor home on a level surface and the air bags or other suspension raised to driving level, measure the distance to the top of the hitch receiver. The difference in the two measurements should be the amount of drop that you need in your hitch.

There may be some leeway in this measurement. Check the owners manual for the tow dolly to see what the tolerance from level is permitted. The closer you can get to the preferred level, the better.

Before you get too far into this project, you may want to investigate whether you can load the bikes on a hitch and leave clearance for the car on the tow dolly. The type of bicycle hitch you get may determine whether this will work.

Your assessment of ladder bike racks is correct. I haven't had much luck with them. I used them when transporting our grandsons bicycles for a trip several years ago. They really don't work very well.

One other possibility might be to go with a "trunk hitch" and put the bikes on the rear of the Mini. I don't know how or what would fit for you but that might be another solution. We use a rear hitch to carry our bicycles on our Trailblazer which is flat towed.