Sign in to follow this  
moto3

Air Force One Toad Braking System

Guest Wayne77590

I have AF-1 installed on my 2007 Saturn. I have not used any other braking system so I am not able to give you a comparison. AF-1 is a true proportional braking system. A very small piston fits under the brake pedal and connect to the arm. The controller is mounted under the hood. I hook up TOAD and air line to the RV and away we go.

Guest BillAdams

I am sure that it's a very good system but you should also look at the M&G braking system. There is nothing inside the toad but rather a unit that is attached to the master cylinder and an air line connection. It makes the toad work just like it would if you were driving it and braking it. We have well over 100,000 miles on our M&G system and highly recommend it for easy of operation and the highest safety factor.

I have had a Brake Buddy system. At Perry just installed AirForce One. Easier to connect and get ready to tow. No problems on our 600+ mile trip home. Stopped for a couple of nights and did unhook. Again easy to connect to get ready to leave.

I have Air Force 1 and am very pleased with it. My wife hooks it up most of the time. We have towed over 9,000 miles with it in the last year and a bunch of that was in Colorado- need I say more :>)

We have the SMI Air Force One and are highly satisfied with its operation so far. The unit was installed one year ago i.e. March 2010 and we tested its capability unexpectedly on I-95 heading north right outside Richmond, VA last November 2010. There was a sudden accident that had occurred directly in front of us and the system stopped our 7200 pound Hummer H2 propotionately with the motorhome without incident.

My wife and I were glad that the system did what it was suppose to do. It sure made beleivers out of us.

This is in response to Bill Adams suggestion that one might want to consider the M and G System as a viable alternative. Yes, that is true; however, The M and G System is not universally applicable and their system will not work with some popular toads, i.e. Ford Edge. Conversely, SMI advocates that it will work with any toad. Be so guided, Ken...

Guest BillAdams

I happen to like my M&G brake.

And, agreed, they can not be fit on all models of toads.

Bill Adams,

Thanks.

I was exploring the SMI AFO when someone drew my attention to M and G. Since I had always heard good things about them I checked their web site and it "appeared" that my Ford Edge would not be workable. I accordingly got a confirming email from M and G that there physically was not enough room under the Edge hood to accommodate their braking cylinder.

Ken Roberts....

We have the older model SMI and over 150,000 on it with no problems that a telephone call to them did not solve.

Make sure you check your emergency brake away switch before each trip to make sure it is working no matter which system you have.

By accident I just found mine was not working. On the SMI system, with the SMI switch on and disconnect the plunger, the toad brakes should apply and the air pump will operate.

Have you ever tryed to stop your car(with power brakes) with the engine not running. It tklaes alot of pressure to over ride the Power Brake Booster. Th AF-1 unit seems to be a pull unit on the brake pedal. Therefore you are putting alot of pull on the pedal. Take a look at the M&G Engineerimg Car Braking unit. It is an Air Cylinder between the Booster and the Master Cylinder. It pushes the master cylinder and not through the Booster.

It hooks up just like the AF-1 with one air hose. The safety is an air cylinder that incase of disconnect it will lock down your brakes. I have had the unit for 4 years and no problems. Take a look http://www.m-gengineering.com/.