tmoning

National Fishing License

Fishing licenses are issued by state governments. RVers who want to fish in a new state must first buy a license in that state.

FMCA member Ron Johnson of Wilsonville, Ala., asked FMCA for help in promoting a national fishing license. He and his wife, Delores, have been RVing since 2000. They love to fish at U.S. national parks and other federal lands.

The cost of out-of-state fishing licenses strains their budget, Mr. Johnson says, particularly when they want to fish for only one day or when bodies of water border more than one state.

He ponders, "Wouldn't it be nice to have a federal licenses program whereby we could fish anywhere on federal lands for a nominal fee (or even better, a one-time fee like the Golden Age Passport program) and be exempt from state requirements."

Vicky Ferrari, chair of FMCA's Governmental and Legislative Affairs Committee, and I thought this would be a good topic to post here. So, what do you think …

Is a nationwide fishing license a good idea? Could states agree to a reciprocal license that would allow Americans to fish nationwide while abiding by the fishing regulations of the state where the fishing takes place? Could such a bill be passed? Or, would a regional or multi-state license be more reasonable?

By the way, Passport America, the discount camping club, has a Petition for a National Senior Fishing License on its Web site.

Not a bad idea! My wife and kids love to fish and our motor home is fully stocked to fish anytime. There have been a couple of times we had the opportunity to throw a line in, but the inconvenience of getting a licence stopped us.

I would suggest there be one license, and when you get it, you pay for stamps for states you plan on fishing in that season. That way, each state could get their revenue, and the DOW would get theirs.

Guest Wayne77590

I think the word "revenue" is the key. Fishing licenses are rather expensive in many states. I know that the senior license in Texas for "all" waters is $22. How would that transfer over to a "national" license. I'm all for it, but it has to work for all the states so that they do not loose revenue. There are some big combined bucks involved in fishing licenses.

Is a nationwide fishing license a good idea? Could states agree to a reciprocal license that would allow Americans to fish nationwide while abiding by the fishing regulations of the state where the fishing takes place?

This is the only logical solution just as you have reciprocal driving license.

Since some of the license revenue goes into maintaining lakes and rivers for fisherman, I suspect that the loss of that will not be well supported by individual states. I suspect that is more true for those states that have lotsa dollars coming in from specialty fishing.

If the federal government mandates a national license and fails to distribute the money back to the states, then the states are going to find a work-around to get money anyway. They will just put a surcharge or something similar on fishing.

I know many in the RV community who fish around the country. They don't bother getting a license, figuring it is ultimately cheaper to pay a rare fine than buy 50 different state licenses. In that case, not withstanding the state that actually does get a fine or two, it might be benefical for them to support such an idea. After all, getting something is better than getting nothing.

I found this post here and dug up something I wrote a while back for another RV forum.

Interesting read:

http://www.onthelake.../openletter.htm

I found it buried in my bookmarks and it deals with something that I am in favor of.

I have spent a lot of money over the years on duck stamps, hunting, fishing, bow hunting licenses, permits: many times that I purchased and never found the time to use. Of all the things I do I really love to fish. Nothing like a nice quiet time away from it all, tossing a line in the water. I prefer saltwater but I also love to catfish, or go after a lunker. I have seen some favorite hidden native brook trout streams disappear to development. I still get out fresh water when I can.

When I go camping I always bring at least an ultralight spinning setup with me for those campgrounds that allow fishing on private land in other states. Nightcrawlers are everywhere and fun to catch at night no matter where you are.

I have never understood in all our "united" states, there is no reciprocity concerning fishing licenses. I would be, very much, in favor of an added fee for a federal license with limitations, in order to be able to fish all over the US:maybe something like the duck stamp in a national fish stamp version or along that idea. Just for waters that aren't stocked. Charge extra per state if you wanted to add stocked waters. Mandatory home state license requirement of course.

It's a money game for the states. What gets me, in my state, is alot of the money doesn't get back to environmental purposes and goes to, I believe, the general fund.

Has anything gone on with this topic lately? LOL how about the AARP designation for Senior at 50 for us under 55 crowd lol

A federal license is not a bad idea if it required that the person requesting a federal or national license must hold a fishing license from the state they reside in.

This way the state they reside in would still receive the revenue from residents and a couple of bucks from each federal or national license sold. However this would require another government bureau to over see the distribution of the funds. And do any of us know how much of a budget that would take. By the time all was said and done there would not be any money left for the states to share.

The only way for folks to be able to fish in other states would be for each state to have a fee, for 2 or 3 days, that was small enough that more people would purchase their license rather then say "with a fee that much I will just not fish".

Just my thoughts.

I agree with Herman that most of the money collected from a national fishing license would go to fund another federal bureaucracy and very little would ever reach the state agencies. I know Texas Parks & Wildlife department had their budget cut by 21.5% over the next 2 years. I would assume other states are feeling the same type of budget crunch and really would not be open to a idea which would further reduce their operating income. The money to fund hatcheries and other projects to improve and maintain fisheries has to come from somewhere and those of us that want to fish will have to pick up the "tab". We are planning an extensive trip this summer and I would like to fish in several states. I have compared Texas license fees for non residents to those states and I can say that their fees are not out of line. I am not a golfer but I consider the greens fee for playing one round of golf to be ridiculous. But as my son explains it "that is the price you pay to maintain the course you like to play".

I think that there should be some sort of reciprocity when it comes to fishing licenses. Perhaps FMCA could lobby to get a Federal override of sorts. Each person would be required to purchase a fishing license in their State of residency and then pay a fee of say $5 to get an annual Federal license that would allow them to fish in any State. This idea continues to give money the States, although they would loose on out of residency fees and violation fees. I suspect that with budget cuts in most States enforcement is going to be difficult anyway. I haven't been asked to see my license in over 10 years. Those that don't travel across state lines would not be required to pay the additional fee. Certainly this would be better for both State and Federal agencies, as well as those that fish in multiple states, than not getting a license in a particular State and taking our chances.

Mark

I'm a military retiree, and a citizen of the UNITED STATES. I'm a resident of the State of Florida, and I paid for an annual fishing license in Florida. Then, because we were spending 3 weeks in Colorado this summer 2013, I paid them their $66 for another annual license. They only sell very short-term licenses so it made sense to just shoot the wad on an annual license. The real irony for me is that most of the fishing I've been doing has been in national parks and forests, stocked by UNITED STATES fisheries. I just went to visit the Hotchkiss NATIONAL fish hatchery near the Gunnison river. I still haven't seen a Colorado hatchery. What am I paying $66 for? I've also bought a temporary license in Arkansas on this trip, and did most of my fishing in lakes that aren't even stocked by the state. Why should there be any fee to fish where it doesn't cost the citizenry any money? So some game warden can have his badge and his paycheck? What's next, city and county fishing licenses? And another thing, if the Florida Fish and Wildlife storm troopers would burn less gas in their go fast boats tearing around like they're on Baywatch, we could probably save enough money to lower the cost of fishing licenses. It's not like Florida Fish and Game stocks the Gulf of Mexico. What am I paying for???

In my not so humble opinion as a citizen of this great country, not a citizen of any state, a fishing license bought in one state should be good as gold in any other. Period. Just like driver's licenses. Fishing licenses should also only be required where there's a demonstrable cost to the taxpayer to maintain the fishery.

So yes, please FMCA, put whatever weight you have behind this quest.

As a truck driver, I could be anywhere in the country when it is time for a mandatory 34 hr break, or anytime I can't deliver a load ahead of schedule.   A national fishing license would really help me to relax during this downtime. 

11-8-2017

When Salt Water Fishing Licenses were first introduced the regulations provided for free (except for the processing fees) licenses for seniors and reciprocity for bordering states.  Senior still needed the Salt Water License but it was issued free except for that pesky FEE.  I am currently researching Non Resident Hunting & Fishing Licenses for Florida and see no provision for the free Salt Water License.  Has any one kept up with the changes in the regulations?  Has the free senior license become optional by state?

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:45 PM, manholt said:

OK. Russ.  So tell me how you would get to this "Fishing Spot in a Tractor and trailer or just tractor"?  Don't quite your day job!

Manholt,

I spent a 40 plus year carrier with a food distributor and I know of at least one driver who always kept fishing gear in the truck.  He planned his rest breaks at streams, rivers and lakes he spotted from the road.  Of course all the trailers were refrigerated, multi compartment.  Bob came back often with prize catches and a big smile.  Running in New England the opportunities were abundant.  :) 

I used to fish when on the road as a trucker. Most often in Colorado because their license with per day stamps was reasonable. Find a safe place for the trailer, pin lock it and bobtail to the fishing hole.😊

As a Florida resident when I turned 65 this year my requirement to have a fishing license went away.   So if Florida would be part of a national/federal fishing license program how could they possibly come out on top?   They get millions of visitors each year that buy fishing license and permits.  If that would be replaced with a small cut from the proceeds of a national license program I don't think it would make them enough money.

Come on Carl.....I've always trusted my Uncle Sam.....he let me enlist when I was just 17 years old and promised me I would never leave the U.S.  Five months later I started to think he may have lied when I found myself frozen in Germany, then 9 months later when I was sunburn in a shithole further away I suspected he wasn't on the up and up after all.  But in all fairness he did let me finish in the middle of the scrub in New Mexico!

Wayne.  Not the Natives! :rolleyes:

Do I enjoy what?  Being over 65...YES.  Even with the break down of the parts. :P Fishing?  On occasion, for trout, in CO. & ID with super light tackle, that's fun!  Used to fish a lot off shore, TX. and South East Coast FL.

Just read this whole post from 2011...YES !  I really think a National Fishing Lic. would be great and I like the idea about having a home license along with State Stamps!!! :wub: 

I've attempted to bring this subject up with Congressmen and Senators and absolutely no response.

Right now in Tn it is over $146.00 a year for hunting fishing, trout and a deer stamp, not to mention is you use, state area fees, for Residents. use to be only 11.00 for year out state fishing in Alabama, for non Residents

At 65 for ten dollars you get free from then on hunting and fishing but not sure about tags.

As a Disabled Vet all I have to pay is, some access tags for trout etc.

Out west they enjoy a great bounty of game and fish, an on our Public lands, funded by us and staffed, stocked  and manged by our tax dollars.

Locals don't want us using our resources. They and the Big Land Owners both make huge amounts of money on out of state Hunters and Fishermen though guides, required many times and so forth.

They don't even consider how much money we would bring in to their areas.

It is not right.

We will have to get enough people to speak up.

As an avid fisher-woman and traveler, I have sadly missed out on casting a line in several states due to the high cost of a non-resident licence.  I've found that many states offer too few options. For instance: one-day or three-day only which forces a non-resident into a costly annual licence to keep the cost down.  Also, while many states offer discounted fees for senior or military, these discounts apply only to thier residents.  (Any fisherman worth his or her salt knows that fishing is hit or miss at best!  How many times i have wasted money on a one or three-day license just to get skunked by bad conditions!)  It's like some states don't want outsiders using the resources that are funded in part by our federal taxes.  Fishing gets really cost prohibitive when traveling to two or more states!

I teach fly fishing skills to women, encouraging them to fish wherever they may find themselves,  for any species at any time they are able.  I would fully support a federal license and an affordable "tag" paid to the state I happen to be in.  Such an arrangement would have to be a better option for individual states instead of outsiders (like myself and my husband) just bagging the whole idea of fishing and finding something else to spend our dollars on.  I believe that local guides, bait and tackle shops, boat rentals, etc. would go for the added revenue from non-residents.

I would be willing to contact my representatives and write letters to anyone who will listen so that travelers like myself can enjoy fishing through our country.

Bob and Rae Johnson and GSP "Della"

Fleetwood Discovery

Jeep Wrangler

I've wasted a lot of time with our Senators and Congressmen over the years about reciprocity on fishing and hunting. Especially or 100% Disabled Vets.

Remember when out of state fishing license was either seven or eleven dollars?

Most of Alaska is Federal Lands and Waters, as are good portions of most western states.

We pay for most or all the operations including stockings and mangement  but are not entitled to any of the use...except by paying for it through the nose, a lot more than State Residents. Alaska now is way over 100.00.

And in our State for Resident combined hunting and fishing and tags for trout and deer are approaching 200.00 for Residents.

The new theory well I won't get into the infuriating political/ business mess.

The States's Residents don't want us hunting or fishing there at all...except for outfitters and guides. 

The States way to keep us out or limit our numbers is with outrages our prohibitive costs.

They claim their Taxpayers foot the bills, so they should enjoy the resources. We should play the difference plus. It is not equitable. We pay way more than small populations, of those states, for our Federal Lands and Fisheries but cannot enjoy them. Even total disability in service, protecting those states as well as our own and our Federal Lands and Waters and Resources in them, doesn't make any difference.