pnixon235

Scan Gauge II Information

Looked at the Scan Gauge II for a while and rlkings post on another topic brought it back to mind. Has anyone had any expierience with it and if yes then what kind of MH engine did you try it on. Looks like it could be very useful. Looking to put it on a 99 V-10.

We have one on our 2000 GB with the Ford V-10. Works great, no problems, will basically tell you everything you need to know about what's going on with your engine, and more. We do not, however, use it as a trip computer, so I can't tell you if it works well or not in that category.

We put it in a couple of years ago because the factory instruments have no numerical readouts, i.e., the engine temp gauge reads C and H, the oil pressure L and H. I wanted something with real numbers. Also, the Scan Gage can be programmed to read tranny temps, oil temps, etc.

Recently, the engine temperature gauge went bad in Jan's Chevy Trailblazer. I had no desire to tear into the instrument panel to replace the thing, so I took the scan gauge from the Coach and put it in the Trailblazer. I set it to read engine temp, incoming air temp, RPM and MPH and it worked fine.

I just saw on E-bay, a devise that is pluged into your OBD-2 port on your car/motorhome that has bluethooth for $20.00. You than use you cell phone, Ipad or laptop to connect to the devise using bluetooth. There are many apps you can download to get all the infomation you need. Looks like most people use the Torquescan app. I haven't ever used this but for $20.00, I will give it a try. Here is a like to what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bluetooth-ELM327-Fault-Code-E-OBD-2-Scanner-Live-Dat-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f9c0fd39QQitemZ300542917945QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Infomation on the Torquescan app. can be found here.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/communication/torquescan-plugin_vorz.html

I have been using one for several years on my 2004 Chevy 8.1L engine. It works well and the trip computer functions are worthwhile.

Thanks for the info folks. Ordered one from Amazon and it plugged in and was functioning in about 3 minutes. Good to see engine temp, RPM etc. Will program tranny temp readout and started setting up the MPG program after $245 fillup (here in Cal Regular fuel is $4.17/gal. Also paying a little closer attention to engine after losing a sparkplug from hole #7 in my V10. Ford dealer in Bakersfield repaired with an insert. Wasn't cheap and will see if it will last.