mjrij

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

Question

I'm thinking about traveling this summer the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Route 13, through the Del-Mar-Va penisula, to bypass Baltimore and Washington DC. I was wondering if anyone has travel this route in a Motor Coach, and should I be concerned with a 12 foot 7 inch clearence in a 13 foot 6 inch tunnel ???

Thanks, mikie

18 answers to this question

They will not let you into the tunnel now with any propane.

Use I-695 to go around it. The loop on the West side doesn't have tolls and the East loop has one. I have done this many times without problems.

Very easy.

Guest Wayne77590

Mikie,

Don't know where you are jumping on, but US-113 is only 1 mile longer than US-13 and avoids 17 stop lights.

Just a thought. If you are coming down US-1 from the north and pick up 113, I-695 doesn't even come into play.

Wayne is right about US-13. I took it once to go to Ocean Beach, MD and it is very slow. I now use US 113 also.

If the Bay bridge tunnel is 13'6" you won't have any trouble with height , but, I would check on being allowed with propane on board.

I have no first hand information on the Tunnel.

But, this from their website: http://www.cbbt.com/gas.html

After reading, contact them directly:

For additional information on the

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

write or call us at:

32386 Lankford Highway

Cape Charles, VA 23310-0111

757. 331.2960 (phone)

757. 331.4565 (fax)

I have traveled through the Bridge Tunnel both ways (north and south) several times with a 39' motor coach and also with a 36' fifth wheel. No problems with either.

The rule with propane is that the propane tank must be shut off when going through the bridge tunnel.

The second time I travelled the bridge tunnel a dump truck hit my driver-side mirror with his mirror. I was going North, he was going South. The mirror, in turn hit the window to my left. My wife thought I was shot. I was covered with glass. There was no place to stop. She called 911 and they stopped the truck at the south end. We stopped at the north end. The mirror was hanging by a few wires. I cut the mirror off and found a glass place a few miles north that fitted the space with plexiglass. When we got home to Ocean City MD we went to a glass place and they fixed the mirror and replaced the glass. The truck's insurance paid for it. I have tried to avoid the bridge tunnel ever since.

Also, if the weather is bad they won't let you on it. Of course,you won't know until you get there.

I had the same thing happen to me but I was stopped at a traffic light in the middle of Indio, CA. Stupidity is not limited to tunnel travel. I made the trip many times in my RV without incident. I would not by-pass this route if it is the most logical path. As I recall they have started charging double in one direction and nothing in the other so if you are headed the wrong way with no expectation of returning the toll is going to hurt!

I traveled the tunnel last year from FL back to MA. I pulled over and turned off the propane. I intend on making a trek to Virginia Beach and will probably use the tunnel again, so I assume nothing has changed from last year by way off turning off propane.

Rob

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel Authority requests only that you turn your propane system off while traveling the bridge / tunnel. There are no other issues. Clearance is easily 13'6" or better. We just came up to NJ from Myrtle Beach this way. Our cost for traveling the Bay Bridge Tunnel with a 38 foot Monaco Diplomat was $28.00 including the motorcycle trailer we were pulling.

Bay bridge tunnel just asks that you shut off propane. There is a rest area going southbound you can stop at to shut it off. Going northbound I pull off in a gas station before the entrance ramp to the bridge.

I have been traveling the bay bridge tunnel since the beginning. No problems although I do wish they had made the tunnel wider and put a barrier in the middle.

Route 13 south of 113 used to be clear sailing, but now they added a bunch of lights and it's slow with a motorhome. Stop go stop go. They are not timed. Use to be such a nice drive without the lights.

We through the tunnel about 2 years ago and I recall a pulloff area just before the entrance and they check us to see if the propane was shut off. We were headed north.

We last traveled the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel last October 2012 on our way to Houston, DE from Virginia Beach, VA. When we arrived at the toll booth, I was asked by the attendant if I had propane and was it turned off? I responded affirmatively, paid the toll and proceeded across the bay. The height of our motorhome is 13' 3" and we had no problems with the height restriction.

There is NO issue with propane through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. (There are actualy two tunnels and three bridges). You have to turn off your propane that is all. Your ht. is not a problem. Be prepared for four lanes of travel on the bridges, then narrowing down to two lanes with oncoming traffic through the tunnels. There is no barrier between you and oncoming traffic while in the tunnel. I have done this four times in my class A with a toad and it is WHITE KNUCKLE through the tunnels. When the 18 wheelers are coming at you, it is frightening. The bridges are NO problem.

As far as avoiding DC and Baltimore, this is a GREAT solution. Jon796 is not talking about the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel, he is talking about the Fort McKinnley tunnel and the Harbor tunnel and his right, propane is not allowed even if turned off. You would then have to by pass west or take the Francis Scott Key bridge BUT if you are taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, this won't even apply to you.