Sign in to follow this  
donolinski

Remote (tripod) Satellite Dish

So I am toying with the idea of adding a Tripod Satellite dish. I currently have a KVH R-6 up on the roof. Where would I run the cable to tie into

the Directv Receivers? Run a separate cable to each receiver?

Don: Radio shack has flexible cable connectors that fit through a window or under your entry door. I run the cable from the dish, under the door, and to my receiver. I also run a second receiver so my friends can watch the football games in the trailer next store. It's worked for the past 4 years. Eddie Elk.

Guest BillAdams

So I am toying with the idea of adding a Tripod Satellite dish. I currently have a KVH R-6 up on the roof. Where would I run the cable to tie into

the Directv Receivers? Run a separate cable to each receiver?

The simple answer is "yes" you need to run one or more cables from the tripod to each receiver. This might be running the cable(s) through a window or you might be able to connect to your cable input connection for the front receiver (after relocating a couple of cables) and then running a cable through the window to the back receiver. There are a number of additional options but all of them include getting a new cable from the tripod to the receiver(s).

I've tried all those ideas but finally made the effort to run my cable through the driver side (left front corner) windshield post.

In my front engine Bounder, it was as easy as pulling off the screw head covers to get at the screws (6) to take off the panel

and running the coax through a hole (drilled through the left side of the entertainment cabinet) large enough for the cable to

fit. I recommend you cut off the coupling for an easier feed. Feed it through without the coupling with a smaller guide wire

secured with electrical tape (or lead line) through the insulation in the left front corner of the dash then out through the engine

compartment. You can reinstall the coupling afterwards with a crimping or swedging tool. The cable can be secured when not

in use or leave it with just a "jumper" end that can be coupled on to when you ready to set-up your dish. Just leave enough for

easy access. Mine is a 25' length coiled-up and secured around the circuit breaker box.

Good luck.

I did have a tripod dish. I connected it to my TV connection in my bay just as I would have to a parks cable. It worked just fine. However on that coach we only had one TV. I would just connect my TV to my receiver and the cable connection from the switch box to the receiver. I would assume that if you had two receivers the second receiver could be hooked up the same way. One satellite into one control box = two receivers.

I did that too when I first got my Bounder. The connection in the bay is clearly labeled "Satellite Ready". That's how it worked in my travel trailer. I nearly went bald pulling my hair out till I finally ran continuity tests (touch the coupling to your tongue. If it's hot you'll know it) and discovered the "Satellite Ready" meant "wired for roof mount installation". I checked at Radio Shack for the through-the-window coax without success. I just adapted my rig by running the coax through the drivers side windshield corner panel through the engine compartment. It's been working great for 3 years and, wired through the control module, I can switch from Dish to cable or antenna between two TVs.