Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Houston RV Show

Question

Guest Wayne77590

I looked for a place to put this and this thread looked like the closest topic.

For those who are staying around town to save money, just resting, or just passing through, the Houston RV Show starts this week at Noon (each day) beginning February 11, 2009.

Look for me on Thursday - I'll be the ugly one!

7 answers to this question

Guest Wayne77590

Well, for us, the Houston RV Show has come and gone.

We got there just before the doors opened and had buy one, get one in free tickets, so the outlay for entrance was $9.99, but the parking this year was $8. Of course, there was the one food concession charging $9.50 for a foot long hot dog, and the same price for a cheesburger. My wife and daugher-in-law split a cheeseburger and french fries, so with the three of us it came to $9.66 each, or $29 and change.

There were every kind of RV there, from van's, pop-ups, class c's and up, with just as much a varied range of money up to just past $500,000 on some of the coaches. We liked some of the designs, and disliked some of the designs, only to conclude that what we have is adequate for us. (DW may have a slightly different take on this.)

I did not see as much sit down paper pushing, as in buying, as I did last year, but hey, the weekend is near. Hopefully the dealers will get a boost.

Country Coach was present with the "Veranda," model coach. I asked the salesman about Country Coach folding and he said that they did file Chapter 11 this week. He also stated that the dealers were now picking up the 1st years warranty with an aftermarket warranty company, and after the 1st year it was up to the owner to continue the warranty if they so choose.

To many to list, and I did not take notes since I was not there to buy, just window shopping. Other than the outrageous price for food, we had a good time.

Guest Wayne77590

Tom,

Monaco closed 3 Indiana plants and move their entire operation to Oregon. I had not heard of a total closing. Fleetwood is closing their PA plant and moving all operations to Indianna. Unfortunately I don't think it is going to help Indiana's unemployment. Many other RV Mfg's have cut down on operations or just closed their doors.

Yet, when you look at all the news on RV shows, it is being stated that there are more people to talk to than the salespeople can keep up with. i wonder if they are just "looking." The campgrounds around here are all full for the Winter, so travel has not been affected that much. It may be that the fixed income may not go as far, and that people are staying longer in one spot, or taking shorter trips around their home. Here in Southeast Texas i have a variety of places to choose from, all within about 5 hours. Several years ago we went with my in-laws in their Class C. We put on over 1200 miles. From Texas City to Blanco, to Lake Corpus Christie and back home with stops at CG's in between.

Ah! Texas! I love it.

At the Tampa RV Super Show, in January, the standard line Newmar coaches sold about a dozen coaches. The luxury line sold a couple of coaches. I'm not smart enough to figure out why, to me it seems the luxury coaches might be better recession proof than the standard lineup.

Here in Southeast Texas i have a variety of places to choose from, all within about 5 hours. Several years ago we went with my in-laws in their Class C. We put on over 1200 miles. From Texas City to Blanco, to Lake Corpus Christie and back home with stops at CG's in between.

Ah! Texas! I love it.

Just received the 2009 Texas Travel Guide, I order it every year,,,and there are so many places to go and see,,,don't think it can be accomplished in one lifetime.

The guide provides some hx of Texas Towns,,,,and things to see in each town. They alsosend a separate events guide.

"Ditto" the Love of Texas

What's Not to Love About Texas

Just received the 2009 Texas Travel Guide, I order it every year,,,and there are so many places to go and see,,,don't think it can be accomplished in one lifetime.

The guide provides some hx of Texas Towns,,,,and things to see in each town. They alsosend a separate events guide.

"Ditto" the Love of Texas

What's Not to Love About Texas

What's not to love about Texas? We have wintered in south Texas for 8 winters. I have learned to live with the wind and dust. When the wind isn't blowing, the gnats will make you crazy. Still, it is nice and warm in the winter and the cost of living is very reasonable. We enjoy taking a different route south each winter and another exit from Texas in the spring. Along the way we see something new every year. Someday we may end up staying in Texas for the summer but that will be only after we are unable to continue RVing.

Not being a Native Texan,,,,in good company with Crockett, Bowie,,,Houston,,,,,,(fictional Texans,,,,McNabb, Campbell) et. al......

What I feel we have discovered about Texas,,,,,Texas, really is America,,,,,,it's not the wind, dust, drought, knats,,,,etc.,,etc....we believe it is two distinct things:

Texas History (Legend which means factual) - And - TEXIANS, TEXICANS, Or TEXANS It's the PEOPLE,,,,,IT's FREEDOM!

The friendliness of Texas is contagious,,,the type of contagion,,,,we have gladly caught.........I Love Texas,,,,,,,

For all the reasons and listed and not listed above.

Disclaimer: This is solely the opinion of the writer,,,,,but,,,,it is the right opinion,,,,,,If you don't like it,,,,,WELLLL

DRAW! TexasJohn.gif.jpg

GreetingsFromTexasPostcard.jpg