Sign in to follow this  
skyking8

Which Tire Maker: Kelly or Continental?

RV tires have been discussed, at nauseum, on the forum. I've research and read most of the posts. Several of the more detailed posts similar to what Wolfe10 has put up have been great educational tools.

One of the things that I have found in my research is that the drive vs steer tire issue is not applicable for RV tires. Unless you are prone to 4 wheeling in your motor home an all purpose tire is the right choice when buying tires. They are a bit cheaper and provide the MH owner with the luxury of rotating tires without consideration of what is on the front or the back.

Now to my queston. I am about to replace all six of my M/H tires due to the age factor. For several convenience factors, I have narrowed my choice to Kelly or Continental tires (275-80R-22.5). In my geographical area, those are the common commercial tires that are available. The exception being Michelin and I will absolutely not pay the price for those.

Kelly is a Goodyear company and carries their warranty, so I am leaning toward them. Does anyone have any experienced advice on which of the two (Kelly or Continential) would offer the best performance for the money?

My tire guy who sells Goodyear, Michelin, and Continental steered me to Continental, so I put 6 on last summer. Only have about 5K on them, but satisfied so far. He didn't like Goodyear tires, and wouldn't recommend buying overpriced Michelins.

I have Kelly tires the front of my M.H. I have no problem with them, and its the second set I've owned . The first set looked like new, but the age forced me to change them.

I'd would use Kelly's, or Copper's which is a good tire too.

Skyking 8

Tires? <_< Everyone has their preferance. Last year I needed to replace 5 of my 8 tires. The coach had GoodYear G670 RV's. The previous owner had replaced three for some reason.(I will replace them next year). The store where I got my tires has been in our town for 50 years and is highly respected for their knowledge. Ronnie had the G670's to match what I had. The price was good and he got me with the GoodYear rep. and I got a rebate of $50.00 per tire. So far I have been pleased with the tires. We have driven about 5,000 miles with out any trouble. We have a 40 ft. Monaco and run 90 psi. front and 95 psi in the rear. It has a smooth ride and handles well. GoodYear has a wed site "GoodYear Rv Tires". Even if you don't go with them it has a pdf file on tires and tire maintance that is realy good.

Good luck and smooth RVing.

I went with the Kelly all purpose 16 ply tire. DOT manufacture date less than one year. Reputable nationwide shop and was able to negotiate a price that was way lower than my original Michelins. Kelly is a Goodyear company. Only 200 miles on them, but I feel no difference in the ride.

Here's the exact URL that hermanmullins mentioned in this thread. http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rvbrochure.pdf