Sign in to follow this  
jgbaird

Routing Help - Baltimore to Hartford

Question

My wife and I plan to work north from Florida to Maine in our KSDP commencing in mid-May, making stops to see friends, family and some of the obvious high points along the way.

The part of the trip which we do not look forward to is the section between Baltimore and the Connecticut coast N of New York City. I spent some time this afternoon looking at maps, RV guides, computer routing help (Google maps) - and I conclude that I need some advice and routing help.

Bottom line, we will be more than happy to drive more miles to avoid the big cities; and find nice places to stay on the "circle route."

Any help offered will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim Baird

6 answers to this question

My humble opinion would be to take I 64 to I 81 north...than take I 84 to Conneticut. This will bypass the Baltimore/Jersey turnpike traffic. I also find I-81 to be more scenic than the Jersey turnpike.

I agree I81 to I84 is the best, less traffic and better views a little hilly in upper PA and a long pull on I84 at port Jarvis NY PA line. The only heavy traffic is Danbury CT to Waterbury CT at rush hrs. We go to Charlotte NC several times a year by car and and have tried all the routes. One toll at the Newburg NY bridge.

Guest Wayne77590

Consider I-77N to I-81N

I-81N to I-78E

I-78E to PA-33N

PA-33N to US-209N (Thru the Delaware Water Gap)

US-209N to I-84E to Hartford.

We made the reverse trip down as far as I-81 and it was all good road. Some small stop and go getting from PA-33 to US-209 but nothing major. We enjoyed the scenic ride through the Water Gap.

We had our home up in the Pocono's and I would tell you that the trip on 209 above I80 is a 2 lane, low speeds 25 to 45 max all the way to I84. It takes you thru The Water Gap National park. I agree with the route of I81 to I84. I would not take 209 if you wanted to make time. Just another opinion.

Guest Wayne77590

I can understand some concerns regarding speed limits when one is in a hurry. We did not find The Gap to be limiting to us. The 33 mile ride from Milford, PA to Stroudsburg, PA was just another scenic adventure for us. The drive was about 50 minutes or so.

As an example, and using a map calculator, traveling from Milford, PA to Hazleton, PA, using US-209 and US-80 it is predicted to take 1 hour 51 minutes.

As an example, traveling from Milford, PA to Hazleton, PA using US-84 and US-81 it is predicted to take 1 hour 50 minutes.

Using GOOGLE map software, projected travel from Milford, PA to Jonestown, PA, (Where I-81 and I-78 meet) the software preferences the Deleware Water Gap (US-209) route and predicts travel to be 128 miles at 2 hours 19 Minutes.

Changing the route and using GOOGLE maps again, the routing on using I-84 to I-81 to Jonestown, PA predicts 150 miles at 2 hours 32 minutes.

I personally would rather have a more scenic drive. I could always stop along the way to wait for the time to catch up with me.

Okay! I've spent enough on this today. My humble opinion is that, although there are recommendations from fellow travelers, we still each have to do our own homework to select a route that fits into our own scheme of things. The consensus for this thread is to try and avoid I-95 through some of the busiest major cities.

Happy trails, and most of all have a safe trip.

We have made the trip from Ct to NC many times and used 81 to 78 to 33 to 209 many times and it is a nice ride except for 78 33 & the short ride on 80 to 209 if you hit it at rush hours. Even by car I avoid it at rush hours any other time is ok.