Sign in to follow this  
gliderguy09

Motorhome Insurance - Importing to Canada

Hi - just purchased a Class A 2004 40 foot motorhome in Florida. Will not be titled here as we will be importing to Canada. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure this for the trip home and thereafter. We have contacted our insurance company in Ontario but they don't insure anything over 35ft. Any other company we have contacted will not insure as it is not registered in Ontario. What do people do for insurance that buy and import back to Canada.

I have never tried to import a motorhome from Florida, however we are insured with Wayfarer Insurance Brokers, Beaverton, Ontario 1-800-461-0318. We have had a couple of claims and have found the service to be excellent and the rates are competitive as well.

gliderguy09

I went through the import to Canada stuff in March. I bought in California and imported to BC, where we have ICBC as the only insurance game in town. They had no trouble insuring for the trip, so long as I didn't do any more than bring the coach home and go right to them for plates. The initial coverage I bought was good for 21 days, which should have been enough for the trip home.

Unfortunately, the first time we presented at the border, on the express invitation of US customs "I have your documents, you may now come through", we were delayed until they got one last document. That one document took another 3 weeks, so I had to go back to ICBC and get another bit of coverage. This time I bought a further 2 months, just to be sure, and as soon as I got to Canada, I went right to the agent and got full regular coverage and a plate.

The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will want you to get inspected at a licensed facility before giving you the go ahead, and they want that done before you go get your insurance, but the insurance Co wants you insured before you go driving around. No consistency, but in the end it didn't seem to matter, as all was done and the vehicle legally imported without pause.

In Ontario, you will need to convince your private insurer to issue a temporary policy for the trip up, followed by the permanent policy when they can go outside and "view" the VIN.

[12928']

Hi - just purchased a Class A 2004 40 foot motorhome in Florida. Will not be titled here as we will be importing to Canada. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure this for the trip home and thereafter. We have contacted our insurance company in Ontario but they don't insure anything over 35ft. Any other company we have contacted will not insure as it is not registered in Ontario. What do people do for insurance that buy and import back to Canada.