Sign in to follow this  
e.broomfield@verizon.net

Surge Protection

In January we purchased a 2010 Journey Express (new)and doing what many new coach owners do drive the thing home open the door and throw in $10,000 worth of stuff. The coach comes with an energy management system, generator auto start, converter/inverter, Etc., but does not have a surge protector.

I am looking to install a permanently mounted surge protector and am looking for recommendations.

I would consider a portable one but I would rather not have the extra step on installing it everytime we hook up and besides someone could just walk away with.

Thanks Ed

Before you go investing in a separate surge protector, check out what functionality is in your energy management system first.

Many high-quality EMS systems also incorporate surge protection.

Of course, if a surge was to exceed capacity and burn something out, I'd prefer it to take out a cheaper surge protector first.

Our experience with the Progressive Industries product line has been excellent -- both on quality and customer service.

So I'm considering installing the ems lchw-50 on my class A. I visited the dealers website and downloaded the .pdf that descibes the install process. I noticed that there are two possible installs: first, EMS before transfer box and the second, after the transfer box. So here's my question:

Installing the ems after the transfer box will also protect my rig in the event the rig's generator produces dirty power, right? If so, then I'm a dead duck sitting in water...meaning I have no power in the rig at all. Should I consider this as an option for the install?

Thanks,

Rob

I've always felt the greatest threat was from campground set ups, so I've opted for the portable

EMS from Progressive. The down side to the permanent mount is that if you have a failure, you

would have to go to generator until you get repaired, unless you wired it like "gmoreno" is

considering, but then, as noted, you are a dead duck with no options. Your trip is over.

If you have the portable unit, you may be able to get another quickly, or not use any protection

at your next stop, or when the problem was repaired in the source.

I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey, The book says it will accept 240 volts,says nothing about a surge protector.

I want to buy Progressives EMS-PT50C but it says it will not allow 240 volts to pass through.what is the alternative?

Arvid

Arvid,

I suspect a slight miss-communication on terms.

If your coach has 50 amp service (plug has 4 prongs), you have two hots, a neutral and a ground.

As measured from hot to hot, it will read 240 VAC. As measured from either hot to neutral or ground, it will read 120 VAC.

And this is what your coach is wired for.

But, if the CG is miswired, an open neutral, etc, voltage could go well over 120-- even up to 240. NOT GOOD.

I suspect the protector you list will work just fine since it is for 50 amp RV connection.

Hi, Wolfe 10,

Thanks for the well explained answer.

The reason i was confused is the book says. Quote-The energy management system the power line 2004 EMS- automatically senses the available power to the vehicle. It determines whether it is connected to a 120 VAC,30 Amp shore power source,240 VAC, 50 AMP source or generator.- unquote -So i hope this helps others as well.

Arvid

I would vote for before the xfer switch. I recently helped a person that because of a miswired shore power cord lost not only the microwave but the xfer switch was damaged also. A good surge protector will detect misconceptions like this and would have prevented this. Luckily the GFI breakers in the coach prevented damage to two thin screen TVs.