rrlowther

How Important Is A Supplemental Braking System For My Toad?

Greetings everyone. My Partner and I just purchased a 40' diesel pusher for our business. We are consultants that work all over the country. We purchased a 40' Safari Zanibar. We have a Blue Ox tow bar system and purchased a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 to tow behind it.

I have had several people tell me that I do not need a supplemental because of the size of the coach, engine etc. We do have air brakes on the bus. Since we aren't using the coach for pleasure but for work (we have to be onsite for the last three weeks of each project), we are trying to keep our costs down as much as possible.

If I need one I'll get one, but wanted to know how important it is.

Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated!

Very important. Some years ago, about 5, when stopping at a light in thankfully a rather empty intersection, I looked in my rear camera and watched my toad, a Saturn VUE, begin to slowly pull past the motorhome on the right. It was to be a short, 40 mile trip to the dealer for routine service, on a reasonably flat road, at speeds of about 45mph, so I didn't bother to hook up the supplemental brake. The tow mounts broke free of the car dropping the entire tow assembly, and the front grill and bumper of the car onto the ground. The car rolled off to the right, and I was able to exit the MH, reach the car which was not locked, and set the brake. No damage to anyone other than my car. The installer of the tow package repaired my car.

Since the entire assembly dropped I don't know if the "Oh my Gosh" brake would have engaged, but it is possible that in the mess the pin might have been pulled setting the brake in the car.

I now install the tow supplemental brake for even the shortest trips. It only take a couple of minutes. The liability if my car had caused an accident could have been significant....after all I live in California.

Purchase and use the supplemental brake. JMHO

Guest BillAdams

Supplemental braking is absolutely mandatory. It's mandatory for your safety and in most cases it is mandatory by State law. Many States require braking for any trailer over 1,500# and I think all require braking if the trailer if over 3,000#. The brake-away option can be valuable as well but not required.

Your coach will stop that vehicle without any problem at all - as long as you have plenty of room. When you need the supplemental braking is when you suddenly find yourself facing stopped traffic ahead - or a light changing to red - or someone pulls out in front of you or something drops off the flat bed truck ahead or ... you get the idea. I hope none of these ever happen to you but when your stopping distance isn't unlimited, you will be so glad to have the toad helping you stop rather than pushing you along. It can change your stopping distance significantly because it takes the toad from a big push to helping to stop. I have always had brakes on anything we tow, tow dolly, car or trailer. Since you are using this for business, consider the liability you create if you don't have brakes on your toad. Your business could be gone in an instant.

I also consider a break-away system just good sense. Tow bars take a tremendous amount of stress and wear. If it breaks, where will your car go? For a small increase in price of the system, you have something to stop the car when it comes loose. It isn't just the tow bar that breaks, I've had bolts on the mounting system break (several times). I've always caught them before they became a problem but everything eventually breaks. Plan on it and you'll be prepared.

Every time I stop, I check the whole tow bar and supplemental braking system. It never fails that problems happen when I pass up an opportunity to check when we stop. Next thing you know, something bad happens. There I am saying, "I should have checked that when we stopped!" So now, every stop, I do a walk around, feeling tires and hubs for excessive heat, looking at lights and the wiring connections, re-checking tow bar attachments and brake hoses, etc. Just having a system doesn't mean it is working properly.

Think safety constantly and you'll have a better RV'ing experience.

"Many States require braking for any trailer over 1,500# and I think all require braking if the trailer if over 3,000#."

And the California Highway Patrol considers a towed vehicle to be a trailer. It is logical that most other State's patrol services hold the same conclusion about "towing a trailer".

Guest BillAdams

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified that anything being towed is a trailer. Thanks for ensuring others understand this as well. As to CA, the speed limit when towing is 55. Some signs say "autos towing trailers 55" Since you are not an auto you might be confused but it's still 55 and you will be ticketed. Other newer signs are much more clear. "All vehicles towing 55".

"Many States require braking for any trailer over 1,500# and I think all require braking if the trailer if over 3,000#."

And the California Highway Patrol considers a towed vehicle to be a trailer. It is logical that most other State's patrol services hold the same conclusion about "towing a trailer".

Well not all states NC requires towed vehicle brakes at "2 Tons" ie 4000lbs

PHE

Ok, picture this. You're in a courtroom being sued because you rear ended someone. Their lawyer asks if you have a brake system installed. Your answer is no. End of case!

Greetings everyone. My Partner and I just purchased a 40' diesel pusher for our business. We are consultants that work all over the country. We purchased a 40' Safari Zanibar. We have a Blue Ox tow bar system and purchased a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 to tow behind it.

I have had several people tell me that I do not need a supplemental because of the size of the coach, engine etc. We do have air brakes on the bus. Since we aren't using the coach for pleasure but for work (we have to be onsite for the last three weeks of each project), we are trying to keep our costs down as much as possible.

If I need one I'll get one, but wanted to know how important it is.

Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated!

You might check with your insurance carrier. I have beem told that some Companys will not pay if you do not have a braking system. Also as said, there have been cases where a person ran a stop light injured people and totaled cars and they didn't have to pay a cent because the injured parties inspection sticker was out expired. Because they would not have been on the road to be hit if they had followed the law and not driven on an expired inspection. Picky but true. :(