dstand534

Travel Through Utah

Question

We will be traveling in our 43 foot class a with tow from Grand Canyon City to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in mid- August.

If you have information that could help on what to see and places to stay along with routes in Utah I would appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks,

David

5 answers to this question

We traveled a part of your intended route this time last year. From Grand Canyon South Rim we took Hwy 89 through Page, AZ (Lake Powell, Glen Canyon) beautiful country, then west to Glendale, UT where we stayed at Bauer's Canyon Ranch RV Park (nice small park, friendly owners) where we made home base for touring Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. If you have a big rig I would not recommend driving it through Zion National Park as there is a long tunnel through the mountain on Hwy 9 and they have to stop traffic on either end to let you through. Cedar Breaks to the north and west was not open yet. Zion and Bryce are breath taking. From this locale you could travel north and go through Salt Lake City or north and east through Denver.

Enjoy your trip.

Don

Boy, I don't envy you the decision you have to make about which way to travel....:)

As Don mentioned you can travel up Arizona 89, I would recommend heading west towards Jacob Lake rather than through Page. There are a couple of campgrounds in Jacob Lake (U.S. Forest service with no hookups and a commercial campground) from where you can day trip into the North Rim of the Grand Canyon - a completely different experience from the South Rim.

From Jacob Lake you can continue on to Zion National Park, which is truly stunning. We have traveled numerous times across Highway 9 - which takes you through the tunnel Don mentioned. You will be asked to unhook your toad, and traffic will be stopped from the opposite direction so that you can drive down the middle of the roadway - it's the only way to do it. There is also a toll - last time we went I think it was $10 for the coach - to travel through. There is a campground inside the National Park which has electric hookups or several commercial options outside the park - by far the most popular is Zion River Resort in Virgin, Utah - here's a link: http://www.zionriverresort.com/

Don's Glendale, Utah recommendation is also a good one. You can 'home base' from here while checking out both Zion & Bryce - equally stunning but completely different.

I would recommend a couple of days in Salt Lake City - you can take in the history at Temple Square along with the Great Salt Lake. North of town is Golden Spike National Historic site which preserves a unique part of our not so distant history - http://www.zionriverresort.com/ Park City, UT is also a short drive east of Salt Lake City and you could easily pass a very scenic day here! I don't have a campground recommendation here but there are several commercial options in the area.

Now comes the tricky part....there is another option!! From the South Rim you can travel highway 89 to highway 160 - heading towards Tuba City. This will take you through the Navajo Indian Reservation the scenery is stark but beautiful in its own way! From 160 you want to take 163 - be sure to stop at the Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park - there is a campground. You can either do the drive through in your toad or travel with a Navajo guide. I am sure the scenery will be very familiar to you! Don't miss Goulding Lodge & Museum which is across from the Tribal Park it is full of interesting movie memorabilia.

From Monument Valley you will continue up 163 to 191 which will take you into Moab, Utah home of Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse State Park. All amazing places and worth spending time at. When you are done being amazed by the power of nature you will continue up 191 to it's junction with Interstate 70 and head west to Interstate 15 OR you can travel up 191 to Highway 6 and Interstate 15. I70 is very scenic and faster but we are big fans of the road less traveled!!

Both options are good ones but be aware that Utah can be very hot in August - we've seen temps over 100 in both Zion & Moab previously.

Ken, thanks so much for your input. We have two motorhomes making the trip so will get together and discuss this with the other couple. Thanks again, David