batbc

After Towing Chev Tracker

I towed my 4WD '93 tracker that has low mileage from Arizona to BC, Canada with no problems and stops to run the motor at required intervals.

After having driven it back here for a few days, it suddenly felt like something grinding in the front end, then would stop.

This has happened off and on and Mr Goodwrench suggested a wheel bearing but also a hefty cost attached.

Any suggestions?

In my experience failed wheel bearings don't come and go. If your '93 has locking hubs they may cause some noise. You might try driving with the hubs engaged for a short period to see if any change. If you're comfortable jacking up the front end and rotating each wheel plus checking for play you might learn something also. Engaging both hubs with transfer case in neutral or 2wd and rotating each wheel may also provide some info. I'd try a good driveline or 4WD shop for a second opinion. Sounds like Mr. Goodwrench just wants to start replacing parts, IMHO.

Does your Tracker have AutoLocking hubs? You didn't say if you have the 2 door or 4 door version, so I don't know if you have Auto Locking front wheel hubs on it. I have read you should NOT 4Wheel-down tow a older (1990-1997) Tracker IF you have the AutoHubs (although I've heard many people have with no problems). I believe the newer (post year 1998) AutoHubs are improved and have no problems towing.

From articles I've read, people who have old Trackers just swapped out their AutoHubs for Manual Hubs (available in junkyards, Ebay, online stores for around $150).

Then while towing, leave the front hubs in the "Unlock" position, Transfer case in "Neutral", and the transmission in 2nd gear (for Manual transmissions . . . although I know many leave it in "Neutral" also) or in "Park" if you have an Automatic transmission. This is in accordance with the Owner's Manual Book. I believe Tracker's with AutoLocking Hub should NOT be towed 4Wheel-down (I'm not positive). What does your Owner's Manual say?

This might have nothing to do with your problem, but maybe it is.