Sign in to follow this  
angler3041

Savannah, Ga., Campgrounds

Guest Wayne77590

We stayed with our 40 foot MH at the Hardeeville RV - Thomas Sites & Parks which is a Passport America RV park(or it was then) in Hardeeville, SC . It is about 9 miles to Downtown Savannah. Another ride in the other direction to Hilton Head. We even tripped over to Parris Island.

Yes, we went to Paula Deans restaurant and I can say that my wife is a much better cook. But she can say she was there.

Yes, we went to Paula Deans restaurant and I can say that my wife is a much better cook. But she can say she was there.

Wayne:

I agree -- Paula's restaurant is crowded and overpriced. We tried it years ago. Thanks for the info.

Guest Wayne77590

Regarding Hardeeville RV, when you call ahead tell them if you are going to be using satellite or not. If you are, they will park you in an open area. If you are not, you will get some tree shaded area that satellite will not work. Also, when you are going in, if you get the tree shaded area you are going to wonder how you can maneuver the MH amongst the trees. I unhooked in the road and I was able to navigate into position. We would definitely stay there again. The owner was most accommodating.

We stayed at Skidaway State Park - no sewer sites but they do offer 50 amp. It is a beautiful State Park and is about 15 minutes from Savannah.

Here's a link: http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/parks.aspx?LocationID=19&s=0.0.1.5

If you are looking for a unique dining experience check out the Crab Shack on Tybee Island - it's also about a 15 minute drive from Skidaway.

We also enjoyed our stay at Skidaway. Nice park for bicycling. If you go out the park road to the highway and turn left, there is a small community and shopping area about 200M down the way. The gas station is also a decent convenience and camping store. There is a very nice supermarket across the parking lot, with a surprisingly good wine store within.

Any suggested campgrounds for Savannah, Ga.?

I have a 36-foot coach with 50-amp electric.

Thanks, in advance.

We've stayed at Skidaway several times and really like the spacious sites, lots of shade. A beautiful park!

I would avoid Red Gate Plantation. We had one successful stay there, but on a road trip they called me within one hour of our arrival to cancel our reservation; someone returned that they thought had departed. On another attempt, they never would return my call. So in other words, they are not dependable.

We always stop by Paula Dean's, Lady and Sons restaurant, but I think my favorite is her brother's place on the way to Tybee Island, Uncle Bubba's. And the Crab Shack, mentioned previously, is definitely a unique experience not to miss.

Enjoy!

Skidaway is a very good location, we have stayed there many times. Also, if you like State parks you might want to try Ft. McAllister out at Richmond Hill. It has everything we need, quiet, peaceful, and friendly. There is no sewer hookup but there is a dump station. Sites here are pretty shady so satellite may or may not work. There is several over the air staions though.