Sign in to follow this  
LynsayPilotFlyingJ

Pilot Flying J - Official Info

$9.95/month to use the program? That's stiff if all you are going to use it for is to check fuel prices. I think I will stick with gasbuddy.com, dieselboss.com and the PFJ website. I may not always get it right but I should get it right most of the time.

Perhaps you miss the point - fuel optimization is more than fuel prices. If you're just taking an occasional trip then fuel op is probably not worth the ongoing cost, but if you travel a lot like we do it more than pays for itself. Fuel Op doesn't just look up fuel prices for you, it looks at your trip and figures out the best places for you to purchase fuel and how much to purchase at each location based on what you want for minimum fuel in your tank, tank capacity, etc. For example you may be running low and need fuel along the way, but another 200 miles up the road you could get it for $0.10/gallon less and another 300 miles and it's $0.20/gallon less. Fuel op will see that and suggest that you get enough to get to the cheaper fuel at each stop instead of just looking for the cheapest fuel around where you need to fuel.

On the trip I'm on right now I've saved close to $70 using Fuel Op over what I would have paid if I'd just been looking at fuel prices on one of the fuel price boards and buying it at what seemed the cheapest spot in the vicinity of where I would need to fuel again. I don't think it's ever suggested a Pilot - but to each their own.

Guest BillAdams

No, I didn't miss the point. It's just not for me at that price. Maybe since I only travel 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year (which is higher than most RVers) it does not seem like a big deal. Others may see it differently and I am glad to hear that it works well for you.

Hi ronnewsam and DarinCox,

To activate the pump start feature (at the truck diesel pumps) one does need to take their PFJ Frequent Fueler Card (or the old RV Real Value Card) to a PFJ cashier. They will need to see your driver's license. They will enter information from the license into their computer. Once completed the pump start feature is immediately available for your use.

Once you have the pump start feature, treat your Frequent Fueler card the same as a credit card. If you loose it or lend it and the card is associated with a drive off fuel theft, guess who PFJ will come after to collect the $s? If you loose the card report it lost to PFJ immediately.

Actually, you no longer have to show your driver's license to a cashier to activate pump start. It should activate as soon as you register your card. We changed this back in mid-March to make it easier on customers.

Having read several comments concerning FlyingJ/Pilot fueler program (lots of negativity) I decided to comment. We have been traveling since May 1st and have fueled exclusively at FJ and Pilot. Happy to report that each time I inserted our FJ card at the truck pump it was intantly approved with directions to fuel and pay inside. The part that is great is we get "cash" price plus 3cents off of cash price. Worked every time, hassel free. Thanks FJ and Pilot

Jim

Thank you for giving us a chance despite the negativity. We are working hard to make things up to our RV customers.

LynsayPilotFlyingJ

Two comments on your post. The situation on discounts is not clear in NJ. I've been to the same PFJ site in NJ three times. The first time late last year or early this year, I was told that the discount does not apply to NJ since they can't sell gas for less than the posted price. The last 2 times I've purchased gas at the RV lane, once in my car and once in my motorhome, the discount was automatically applied. Has there been a change in NJ regulations?

Pump $ cutoffs for MC, Discover, AMEX Auto/Car & RV Lanes = $75. I've not experienced this at any location along the East Coast since all PFJ sites require you to go into the cashier and estimate how much you are going to buy on the card. I've purchase from $10 to $150 on American Express. I've always had to go to the cashier for credit purchases of gasoline since the merger.

Sounds like there is a lot of DAs! out there! It seems that those of you who don't use the proper procedures

at the the pumps (Which I will not dwell on, as they have been written about umpteenth million times so far.)

are having the most problems. I also :rolleyes:have not had a problem at either pumps (RV or Truck). I've never gone inside

to ask a clerk (and get a wrong answer) if my card will work at their station. At the moment I just don't care

for their pricing structure. The only problem I've ever had with my card is my own fault. I carry a magnet

money clip and the card doesn't like it. So P/FJ clerks had to hand key the card number in until I received my

new card, and yes, I keep my cards away from my money clip now. I've been using FJs for the last 8 years with their

card and I only put on 4m a year on my rig, BUT I've no fueling problems then or now. I've never been N/E but everywhere

else.

As far as the dollar amount of fuel that can be pumped you may need to talk to your credit card company and let them know

how you are using their card so they can take the max hold off of it when your using it to fuel up. It's not always the

stations putting a dollar amount on how much you can purchase at a time. I've had to let 2 card companies know that I'm

filling up my Coach, and not my truck, and that I needed to have them take off the stop amount from my card. I also let them

know that I travel all over the USA and not just in my home state area. Solved a lot of problems. :D

It just would be nice just to hear some positive and updated good news about P/FJ on this thread. :P

Linsay,

Can I strongly recommend getting staff training for the FJ locations? I use the FJ in Checotah, OK routinely and have for about 15 years. After the merger, I got a new frequent fueler card and was there on Friday and Sunday, this past weekend. I filled up on Sunday and attempted to use the new frequent fueler card. It wouldn't start the pump in the RV island. So I walked inside and the clerk- who's been there for almost as long as I've been using that location- told me that since I hadn't pumped $500 in fuel last month, the card wouldn't do anything for me. I asked her what's the point of having the card and she just shrugged her shoulders. When the staff have no clue about a program, it's very tough for the customers to learn how to properly use it. The email from the FMCA this morning is very timely, so I will try the methods suggested here and see what happens.

I also appreciate you taking your time to visit with us! THANKS!!

I rarely use the truck islands, so are the any suggestions for the RV islands? I'm typically in a pickup, but even the coach doesn't like the hi speed fuel flow from the truck lanes. Also, as previously mentioned, the RV lanes are typically cleaner.

Hi jcmace,

A registered Frequent Fueler Card is used to start the truck diesel pumps via the pump start feature and provide a cash price and discount. It has nothing to do with starting the auto or RV pumps. The payment method starts the auto/RV pumps and the Frequent Fueler Card provides a discount and cash price.

Hi jcmace,

A registered Frequent Fueler Card is used to start the truck diesel pumps via the pump start feature and provide a cash price and discount. It has nothing to do with starting the auto or RV pumps. The payment method starts the auto/RV pumps and the Frequent Fueler Card provides a discount and cash price.

Exactly my point- the staff had NO CLUE what the card truly did. They need training.

Having read several comments concerning FlyingJ/Pilot fueler program (lots of negativity) I decided to comment. We have been traveling since May 1st and have fueled exclusively at FJ and Pilot. Happy to report that each time I inserted our FJ card at the truck pump it was intantly approved with directions to fuel and pay inside. The part that is great is we get "cash" price plus 3cents off of cash price. Worked every time, hassel free. Thanks FJ and Pilot

Jim

Ditto! Maybe we have just been fortunate enough to stop at the right stations, even with the old RV card which was replaced with a new one at the Perry Convention.

Actually, you no longer have to show your driver's license to a cashier to activate pump start. It should activate as soon as you register your card. We changed this back in mid-March to make it easier on customers.

Hi Lynsay,

Just now I tried to register my old FJ RV card. To my surprise the window said the card was already registered. Well, that's strange but what the heck, it's registered I guess!

The Loyalty Card window has a drop down marked <Card was registered with> which has only one selection available: "Postal Code". What in the world does that mean and what should I do with it?

When I tried to set "Pump Start" a pop-up window opened that reads:

"Pump Start is only available to customers paying with cash, check or credit cards.

Pump Start can only be requested at a store.

Please present your drivers license to a cashier to request Pump Start.

Close Window."

I know that is different than what you wrote as quoted at the top of this post, but that's what the site says. Presumabally you have it right and perhaps the web guys can change the site sometime.

Thanks for being on here. I don't know how much time they allocate for you to be on here but I hope you'll be here a lot to stop rumors and "I think you do it this way's" before they get started and are taken as Gospel.

I hope PFJ will invest in training videos or booklets or something for the on-site employees to learn about the RV rules because if each visit to a PFJ site is a confusing, aggrivating, maddening experience I'm afraid the customers will just go away as some here seem to have done already.

$9.95/month to use the program? That's stiff if all you are going to use it for is to check fuel prices. I think I will stick with gasbuddy.com, dieselboss.com and the PFJ website. I may not always get it right but I should get it right most of the time.

Unless I'm mistaken, this site, http://www.findfuelstops.com/ , does the same thing FOR FREE. It's well worth looking at! I find it one of the most all-inclusive sites out there.

Hi Larry3570,

Gut feel says you may have an OTR Frequent Fueler Card. What is needed is an RV Frequent Fueler Card. However,

something is not correct about the scenario mentioned in your post. The quickest way to close this is to send the scenario mentioned in your post and your RV Real Value or RV Frequent Fueler number to RV@pilotflyingj.com Staff at this email address has the ability to research and close the problem with you directly, via email. Once closed, please post here what the solution was. It may be helpful to other members.

Hi Everyone,

I've been monitoring the PFJ thread on another forum. The following is what I have posted there to keep members updated with the most current information. Much of the information is the same as in Lynsay's post #1. However, there are some additions that have been determined along the way from where we were to where we are. I hope this is helpful to all reading this thread.

"This thread is only for questions about PFJ's RV Frequent Fueler Program. For all other questions/comments please contact PFJ directly. Go to http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Ab...ontact_Us.aspx and determine the contact method that is best for you.

Added May 3, 2011

For specific Frequent Fueler Program incidents:

1. where you do not feel the cash price and discount were received

2. card could not be registered, etc.

Please send as much of the following information as possible to RV@pilotflyingj.com

a. Your RV Real Value or Frequent Fueler number.

b. The transaction number from your receipt.

c. A short narrative explaining your concern.

d. The names of PFJ people you talked to.

e. Date and place the transaction occurred.

Please be sure you understand and follow the fueling process, to the letter. If the process is not followed, discounts and cash price may be lost for that transaction.

The following two links should be read before posting questions about PFJ's Frequent Fueler Program. They should answer most questions.

Link to the RV section of the PFJ website

http://pilotflyingj.com/rv-home

This link provides the fueling instructions for the three different pumps available to fuel from. These are:

Auto

RV

Truck

The link also mentions the benefits of the RV Frequent Fueler Program.

To register your RV Frequent Fueler Card (or the RV Real Value Card) go to the PFJ loyalty site to register a card or check your online account http://www.frequentfueleradvantage.com/.

Added May 6, 2011

If you registered your Frequent Fueler Card in an in store kiosk and now want to check your account via the Internet (on line), follow these instructions:

1) Go to Frequent Fueler Advantage

2) Click register

3) Enter the email address you registered at the kiosk

4) A confirmation email will be sent to you. Follow the link back to the website.

5) When you do that, it should automatically pull up the info you put in the kiosk.

6) Then just follow the next steps to complete your online account.

1. One must register your PFJ card (your old J card or one of the new orange RV cards provided by all PFJ stores) to activate the Pump Start Feature at the truck diesel islands.

Added May 7, 2011

Once the pump start feature is activated treat your PFJ card with the same security as a CC. If you lose the card, report it to PFJ immediately. The card is now linked to you. If the card is used in a fuel theft (drive away) PFJ will look to you for payment.

2. At the truck pumps, the first screen may ask for an ICC #. Just insert your registered RV Frequent Fueler Card and follow the instructions on the screen.

3. In AZ discounts are not allowed or require a different process. Signage at these location needs to be read to understand what is available and how to acquire a discount. Due to regulations in NJ and WI, PFJ is unable to give any fuel discounts at locations in these states. Specific tax regulations in IN and OR are currently preventing us from processing discounts at the truck diesel lanes. We are working on a solution. Until we reach this solution, you will need to use the RV lanes to obtain your discount in these 2 states.

4. There is no ability to process credit cards at the truck pumps. PFJ is looking at allowing this in the future.

5. When paying for fuel pumped at the truck diesel pump

Added May 8, 2011:

after following the truck diesel pump fueling procedure

present your payment method and your registered RV frequent fueler card to the cashier. The net cash price (discount and cash price) was displayed at the pump, once the pump recognizes you are a frequent fueler. It will not be broken out as line items on the receipt.

Added May 12, 2011

6. At which locations can one receive the cash price and discount? Go to the PFJ website at: http://pilotflyingj.com/locations and if the title of the location says anything except Pilot Travel Center or Flying J it is not owned/operated by Pilot Flying J and at these locations, the cash price and discount is only available at the truck diesel lanes when the Pump Start Feature is used with the Frequent Fueler Card. This is also indicated in the new RV travel guide: http://pilotflyingj.com/assets/templates/pilot/images/RVTG_v10_eproof.pdf

The following are additional items. All the following assumes one has a registered PFJ RV Real Value Card or RV Frequent Fueler Card.

1. The Pump Start feature is available immediately once your card is registered. There is no 500 gallon minimum before the feature activates.

Updated May 3, 2011

2. Pump $ cutoffs for credit cards:

2a. VISA Auto/Car Lanes = $150.

2b. VISA RV Lanes = $495.

2c. MC, Discover, AMEX Auto/Car & RV Lanes = $75.

2d. Payment method does not matter at the truck pumps. Truck Pumps = $750.

Added May 11, 2011

3. Pump cut off limit for Debit Cards (PIN needed) is $75 at all Auto and RV pumps (diesel and gas).

4. Payment method is not a factor for starting the truck pump.

5. Payment method in cash or check at the RV/Auto pumps will require one to go into the store to get the pump started.

6. There are no limits on the amount of discounts one can earn."

Bill - when it works, it WILL give the "discounted" (cash) price on the receipt, right at the pump...and, it will deduct the .03/gallon right there on the receipt, as well, after you've turned the pump off. It multiplies the number of gallons purchased by $.03 (diesel), and it's taken right off the total!

However, here's a NEW WRINKLE IN THE PROGRAM, that I've not seen mentioned anywhere before: We reported a specific incident yesterday at a Utah Flying J location, where we did not get the cash price NOR the $.03/gallon discount. Here's the reply from Flying J: The Scipio UT location is a Flying J dealer location which means it is not owned and operated by Pilot Flying J. Due to this fact, discounts at dealerships may be different than at the Pilot Flying J locations. According to my information about the dealerships, the fuel discounts are only available on the truck diesel lanes when you use your RV loyalty card to start the pumps. This would be due to the dealerships computer systems not being compatible with the Pilot Flying J systems. Most dealerships have altered their systems on the truck diesel lanes enough to be able to give our discounts but their gas lanes are still on a separate system. I can send you a Travel Guide that denotes the different locations and whether they are Pilot Flying J locations or not.

So, FMCA Friends - there's one more thing to watch out for!! DO NOT EXPECT THE LOYALTY CARD DISCOUNT OR THE CASH PRICE AT DEALER LOCATIONS IF YOU PULL INTO THE AUTO/RV LANE! Guess we'll have to check online to be sure what kind of Flying J we're pulling into before we do it from now on!

As I said in my post yesterday - it's a really valuable program, just requires a lot of research and patience to make it work!

Hi gandr2737,

I'm glad you received a reply from PFJ. I guess you missed my reply to you yesterday afternoon. Check the other PFJ thread and post #80. I replied there because that is where your original concern was posted. Also, in this thread I made a post of current information about the PFJ program. It is about 3 posts up from this post.

Guest Wayne77590

Used the PJF card at Pilot. No problem. Swipe card, get approval, press continue, go in and pay. Receive 3 cent discount per gallon.

Thanks PJF.

For many, many years, my wife and I fueled almost exclusively at Flying J facilities for the simple reason that we found their diesel fuel pricing to be consistently among the cheapest and they provided free dumps. A year ago we encountered a $10. dump charge at FJ in East Boise. At that time I wrote to this forum and also to FMCA officials commenting on our experience. Since then, we have not fueled at any FJ facility and have watched the FJ and Pilot pricing since the Pilot takeover. Our conclusion is that their diesel fuel pricing is consistently and substantially higher than the competition.

Recent example- Needed fuel in Las Vegas area. FJ and Pilot minimum $4.199. Found fuel through gasbuddy.com web site at $4.01.

Can not understand FMCA's continually supporting FJ/Pilot.

Yesterday I stopped at Bosselman's Pilot, Exit 54 on I-70 in Kansas. Despite the bright red canopies over the pumps with Pilot clearly printed on them in large letters, they do not honor the discount because as the clerk stated they are Bosselman's, not Pilot. They are listed on the Pilot web site and their cash fuel price was the best I could find on our route of travel so stopped there but didn't get the cash price or any discount at all from the credit price. And yes, I followed the procedure as outlined above and on the Pilot web site. The card reader on pump 22 was posted as inoperable so I went inside and presented R.V. Real Value card and my credit card.

If the clerk was correct and they don't honor the Pilot programs then they should be removed from the web site or there should be some disclaimer (an asterisk or footnote) indicating that they are some kind of affiliate that is not really a Pilot Center. I don't know what the clerk was thinking when I presented my R.V. Real Value card with my credit card before the purchase. I would guess she thought it was for entertainment. Nothing was mentioned about the card not being accepted at their location until I had finished pumping fuel and was presented with the bill.

I've contacted Pilot via e-mail regarding this incident, awaiting reply. When I get some kind of response from Pilot, I'll post it here.

Hi Tom,

The reference material you used may be the wrong book. An RVer should use the PFJ RV Frequent Fueler Guide. Go to the URL in post #39 or to http://pilotflyingj.com/assets/templates/pilot/images/RVTG_v10_eproof.pdf . One can download the PDF file and keep it on a computer. This is the "bible" for RVers wanting to use the PFJ Frequent Fueler Program. In Kansas there are only 3 PFJ places to fuel.

This has got to be the most fouled up program ever. I'm reading different things from different sources and forums, and Pilot Flying J's website is no help, because it is full of ambiguity. I take it that you have to "register" your Frequent User card, Loyalty card, or whatever it's called, (of which there are several versions) in order for the company to tie your card to a chargeable credit card account.

But the website implies you have to have 500 gallons purchased before Pump Start will activate a Trucker pump. The info in this thread indicates otherwise. If the former is true, then for my first 8-9 trips to Flying J (I usually fill at reaching half a tank, requiring ~60 gallons), I have to (1) pull up to a Truck pump, (2) delay the annoyed trucker behind me while I go inside to get my charge card okayed and my FFueler card aknowledged and discount applied, and then (3) fill my tank, which at the high-speed pump will cause foaming at the finish, requiring my further delaying the "time-is-money" trucker while I (4) clean up the mess. Yes, I can pump at a slower speed to avoid foaming, but how is that gonna save time? I could always accumulate gallonage toward the Pump Start feature by using the RV Lanes, but the Flying J RV lanes I've been to are a chaotic, hard to access pain in the rear, sometimes hard to spot when first pulling in, and generally to be avoided.

Thank goodness I signed up for Pioneer Fuel years ago - no crowds, no delaying anyone because there are always open lanes, no involved card program, easy-in and easy-out station access, and far more facilities continent-wide. And few if any customer complaints, unlike the many found in this thread re. Flying J. I really never want to see another Flying J "parking lot" again unless I'm out of other options.

FMCA would do better by its membership to negotiate a program with Pioneer Fuel instead of Pilot Flying J. I know when we joined FMCA we were supposed to receive a Frequent Fueler or some such Flying J card as a benefit, but we were never sent one. Perhaps that was a good thing.

Hi Tom,

The reference material you used may be the wrong book. An RVer should use the PFJ RV Frequent Fueler Guide. Go to the URL in post #39 or to http://pilotflyingj.com/assets/templates/pilot/images/RVTG_v10_eproof.pdf . One can download the PDF file and keep it on a computer. This is the "bible" for RVers wanting to use the PFJ Frequent Fueler Program. In Kansas there are only 3 PFJ places to fuel.

Thanks Gary,

I hadn't read the whole thread and missed this. I must say that this seriously complicates the whole program. I passed up the Flying J in Warrenton, MO today and fueled at Mr. Fuel in Foristell, MO at $3.799, no cash/credit price, just $3.799 for everyone. Best deal around!

Hi joelashley,

I am surprised by your post. Go to post #39 in this thread. The link for an RV Frequent Fueler is in this post and for your benefit

http://pilotflyingj.com/rv-home is posted again here. Post #39 and the link you will find the current information. Some of the information in your post is months old. One does need to register their Frequent Fueler card. One can do this via the web site link (again in post 39) a Kiosk in the store or a PFJ cashier. Just like you registered for Pioneer, one must do a similar registration with PFJ. Sound fair to you? It is unfortunate the information you are working with is outdated. Stay with what is in post 39 and you'll have the current information.

O.K. Pilot Flying J must think we, as a group, must be about as dumb as a box of rocks. I finally went to the PFJ site to find out where all the hullabaloo is coming from.

I guess I'm just getting tired of hearing about this 500 gal. thing.

DA!!!! Here from their site @ (http://pilotflyingj.com/rv-home) is how PFJ is giving you all the info you need to pump your fuel.

Pump Start Procedures

The discount on Diesel Truck lanes is only available when you register for Pump Start. Please see any Pilot or Flying J Cashier, or visit us at an RV Show to register for Pump Start.

Please note that at this time Pump Start is only available at Truck Diesel Lanes. As usual, you can always start the pump with any major credit card at both RV lanes and Gas lanes.

No 25 gallon minimum or 500 gallon fill up required to receive discounts at the pump.

Do we know what the word NO means???????????

Granted it could be worded different but the correct info is still there. That is if you don't just glance over it, but actually read the info that they are putting out there.

How hard can this be to understand:RV pumps credit card first, then Frequent Fueler or RV Advantage card when asked to insert it, TRUCK LANES Frequent Fueler or RV Advantage card ONLY, then go in and pay.

For either card, get your card registered. Read only whats on the RV site, and keep away from the truckers portal and you might be much better off.

Not much new info seems to coming from this thread, just mostly P**ing & Moaning going on about the same old things that have been hashed out way too many times already.

PFJ is trying to get these changes going but most of what I hear is that, we as a group don't know how easy it is to fuel up without trying to make it difficult on ourselves. We need

to understand also that not all stations are Corporate stations but that some are franchised out. In the PFJ booklets and on their internet site they mention who are and who aren't.

Those that are franchised also seem to always be higher in price as PFJ doesn't control their pricing. Don't ask cashiers questions that you don't want wrong answers to. Some of

them may have just started yesterday and not know any more than u do. I'm just waiting for their pricing to get in line with the old FJ. I won't hold my breath on that one. For me it's as

simple as if I need them, I'll use them, If I don't need them, I won't use them for my fuel, propane, dump, or eating stop. They are handy and if I'm in a bind on any of these I'll use them.

Other than that I'll wait and see before I'm back to using them on a regular basis.

Wow. I sure got slapped around for my contribution.

No, I didn't read every single post in this long thread. I did relate what I'd experienced, including what I got from linking to the supposed official site, where it implied that one had to have 500 gallons purchased before Pump Start would activate; here is the pertinent direct quote from the current Frequent Fueler FAQ site:

"I registered for Pump Start and my member card will not start the pump. What happened? Once you have registered your card for pump start privileges, you must purchase 500 gallons before your member card will start the pump. If you have purchased 500 gallons after registering your card, and your card will not start the pump, please check with the manager on duty at the closest Pilot or Flying J."

This does not say you won't get the discount, and that is not what I implied, so perhaps you should do more careful reading yourself. If you are "tired of hearing about the 500 gallon thing", then get on Pilot Flying J's case about updating their website - don't bash around those confused by it.

And I did not indicate it was unfair to have to register a card. The comparison to Pioneer Fuel is that once PF issues their card, you are already "registered". One card in to start a pump. Nor do you have to go in to pay following your fillup, no matter which pump was used.

I am indeed sorry that my post offended anyone; that was not intended. I merely related my experience for others to glean from. Isn't that what a Forum is for? If everyone expressed exactly the same viewpoints, there would be little point to exchanging them.