Sign in to follow this  
LynsayPilotFlyingJ

Pilot Flying J - Official Info

Hi joelashley,

If post 39 and 48 do not contain or direct you to the information I have posted for RV Frequent Fueler customers, please be specific about what is missing or incorrect. When going to the PFJ web site stay in the RV section. The Frequent Fueler FAQ information you quote is for OTR Drivers not RVers. The RV FAQs are found on the same page. Once you read and understand the RV Frequent Fueler Program then it is your decision to participate. My responses to your posts is to provide the correct information to those reading the posts and you. This is important, especially when incorrect information is posted.

Guest BillAdams

Joe,

I agree with you that you were unfairly beaten up! Just because there happens to be written somewhere (whether it's written right and read wrong) this program should not be so complicated compared to how it worked in the past. It use to be that FJ or Pilot meant just that. Today, franchise, affiliate, corporate, how the heck am I supposed to tell. I shouldn't have to take a graduate course in fueling just for the privilege of paying too much for the same fuel I could buy elsewhere of less.

Even folks who have followed the procedure exactly as they should have are having issues and a few folks here seem to want to dismiss the event and simply blame the user.

Not fair and not appropriate. I have been very lucky over the last few months as I have been able to find fuel stops which good access and I simply just paid for my fuel without having to swipe anything. What a concept!

Like others, I have had a few problems with my card working properly at Pilot Flying J stations around the country over the past couple of months. However, I am happy to report that I recently filled up in the truck lane at Flying J #747 in Springville, UT a few days ago and everything worked like clockwork. Glad to see Pilot Flying J finally getting it together. My next stop will be at one of the NV stations. Hopefully I will see the same results.

My comment is about the CC limits, particularly the MasterCard limits. Limiting fuel purchases to $75 at the pump is ridiculous, even for a car, much less an RV. I have been assured from my bank, and by MasterCard, that these limits are imposed by Pilot/Flying J's company or bank/credit card processing agent. Both my bank and MasterCard assure me that they do not impose any "pay at the pump" limits. The limits are Pilot Flying Js limit by virtue of their bank/credit card processing company they do business with......and they are ridiculously low in the day and age of $4.00+ a gallon fuel.

So, Pilot Flying J, you really need to starting twisting your company or your bank's/credit card processing company's arm to get these limits changed. It is just ridiculous that I can buy a $5000 TV and nobody blinks but some arbitrary, hidden institution that I cannot contact limit's me to a $75 fuel purchase at the pump.

Otherwise, I would like to say that I think Pilot Flying J is making a concerted effort to get the RV program off of the ground and working properly. My last few visits to Flying Js my card has worked properly and the discount and cash price have been honored. I have been please EXCEPT for when I know I want to put more than $75 of fuel in my SUV at the gas pumps using my MasterCard and I have to go inside first. I will admit that the prices at Pilot Flying Js are frequently quite a bit higher than surrounding truck stops and I question the wisdom of fueling there unless you need the use of their amenities such as dump station, propane, restaurant, and RV parking. The amenities they provide to do not cost them anything since they now charge for the dump station and there is no discount at the restaurants so how do they justify charging .10 to .15 cents more a gallon than nearby stations?

You really need to get those pay at the pump credit card limits changed and it's YOUR company or their bank...not my bank....not MasterCard.....but your company or bank that imposes them......at least according to the MasterCard folks.

For everyone's info I just fueled up at the FlyingJ in Black River Falls, WI at the truck pumps. The truck house is under renovation, and you have to go to the

main building, and I hope it isn't raining like it was for me. I gave the gal my J card and I had to do a pre-pay. I hate that! After I finished fueling I went in for

a receipt and low and behold I was charged the cc price @ $3.99 OUCH! The manager said nothing cando. Get ahold of corp. and they'll credit you. For

$3.00+ I don't think I'll go that route. Anyways it might of been different if I had used the car pump side but I wasn't sure if they had diesel on those pumps.

Just for your FYI. I also dump whenever I can and can't remember ever using a J.

Safe Travels

Guest Wayne77590

John,

PFJ Specifically states that Wisconsin locations cannot give the discount. There are a a couple other states, AZ being one of them I believe. I think this has something to do with State law, and not PFJ policy.

Guest Wayne77590

Wow! I just re-read this entire thread. If I were just coming aboard on the PFJ Frequent Fueler program I would be very confused, but only because I read the negative posts. It seems that some have problems, and many do not. I would venture to say that those who are not having problems just don't post to often of their good points, like everything works the way it should, but I wish they would post their good experiences. All the negativism may have PFJ rethinking their position on offering RV'ers discounts. I for one would not like to see that happen, as I'm sure most of the other satisfied users would not like to see that happen.

We just completed close to a 5000 mile trip, from Texas over to the East Coast, up into New England, across to the Niagara Falls area, through lower Ontario, Canada, over to Lake Michigan, then up and around the Great Lakes, and then points South back to Texas. When I could, I would use the PFJ fuel stops. I typically fill up around the half tank mark, mainly so I can get out, stretch, and more importantly I just don't like to get down close to that 1/4 tank area just in case I have to run the Generator for whatever reason. So that was a lot of fuel stops, and in every one, except one stop, I never had a problem using the PFJ (Old RV Value Card) frequent fueler card. I reported that one incident to PFJ, and hopefully if I travel that way again it will be taken care of.

We can talk about our other credit cards that offer a percentage back on purchases, and discounts on fuel in certain situations, so let's just talk about one more Frequent Fueler Advantage, that being the Pilot/Flying J card. It is an opportunity. An opportunity to acquire fuel at a little lower pricing structure than the average driver. An opportunity to save approximately 3 dollars per 100 gallons of fuel. An opportunity to use other benefits as described by PFJ. It is an opportunity that one joins voluntarily.

With so many users having no problems they must be doing something right.

So, please Pilot/Flying J, do not do away with the program when so many of us are enjoying using it. I am extremely happy just to have to not go in to hand my credit card to a clerk before fueling. That in itself is the best advantage I can have. (Oh! Thanks for the discount also.)

Guest BillAdams

Plus discounts on propane and a reduced fee for using their dump. It also allows you to use a credit card and pay the cash price.

FlyingJ does not work for you in Canada and this was confirmed by Jeremy Beal from PilotflyingJ so I will by fuel from someone else.

Guest BillAdams

Flying J is just not getting it! I don't know why, but they just can't seem to get all of their stations on track. We were on our way to Quartzsite the last week in Jan. and stopped at the Flying J in Ehrenburg, AZ. We went to the truck pumps but due to the AZ truck tax had to go inside. The clerk said if we used the truck pumps we could not get the cash price. I told him he was mistaken and he said his boss told him this exact information that every day. Whatever, let me fill up, I have got to go. We got to QZ and stopped by the Flying J booth at the RV show and they agreed that this was incorrect bu they would get it all worked out with the regional. OK, one more store on target. 2 days ago we returned to this same location and decided not to try to fight the truck pump issue (be it fixed or not) and went to the RV side instead. Swipe the CC, swipe the FJ card and life is good. Then, the pump cuts off at $75. I need to fill a 200 gallon tank and the pump is going to cut off every $75? Why am I bothering with this nonsense? So I go through the drill 3 times to get enough fuel to dry camp for a few days and try to make my way to Eloy (I know, I am a glutton for punishment) to fill up before we park for a month or so. As I look at the 3 $75 receipts, 2 are at $3.88 and one is at $3.91 (no RV .03 discount). Seriously? I did all the same steps all 3 times but one didn't register the credit? I know, I know, it's my fault, I didn't do it right that time!

Nothing seems to have changed from when this mess first started and I still don't seem to be able to see any resolution at the end of the tunnel. I have tried and tried and tried and it just doesn't get any better.

For anyone who is a member of Good Sam, check out the new Pilot Flying J RV Plus Charge Card. According to the description, it should eliminate all the hassle we currently have trying to swipe one card, then another card and then worry about different procedures according to what lane we choose. We shall see - I just received my card and will try it in the very near future. If I get my $0.06 discount off the cash price it will be great.

Maybe Pilot Flying J can print an official letter to be handed to any pump jockey that says this does not apply to them and have them fill out name location (station #) and reason discount is declined with invoice number and number of gallon or liters so we can sent in for a refund and have proof of transaction

the reply to my email I sent Feb 14 ;and replied by Jeremy Beal from PilotflyingJ

on Feb 15 2012

The RV card will only work in the US and there is a list you can download on pilotflyingj.com.

Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:55 PM

To: RV

Subject: up charge for credit cards in Canada

I will be renewing plates for my Renegade motor home beginning of march and heading from Kamloops BC to Moab Utah

the third week

last time I fueled in Kamloops ( 847 ) they charged extra and told me the discount had changed

is there a paper that shows which stops have discounts and does it only apply to company owned ones

Thanks Bruce

Email

Ph 250-828-xxxx

fax 250-377-xxxx

I just looked the rep that started this post has not been on for 4 to 5 months oh well they must not be to interested in our business

joelashley:

You sure didn't deserve that kind of response.

IMHO, johnfv2 and PFJ both have issues and I could live nicely without either one.

Guest Wayne77590

I can understand why Lindsay has stopped showing up. Just about every forum that the PFJ information has been posted on, PFJ gets bashed.

At least they are trying to do something for the RV community. If it doesn't work at a station, report it to PFJ and don't bash them on a forum. A whole bunch of negativism and we can all pay full price.

Thanks PFJ. In 20,000 + miles I have only had one incident at a pump. And that station was an independent station.

Guest BillAdams

If I remember correctly, Lindsey has dropped out but the "leader" of the thread is now (or was) Garykd. I don't know if that's still the case or if there even needs to be a leader since most everything has been addressed somewhere in this thread.

All I know is that we have stopped at Pilot or FJ going to and from Canada for the last decade. When I reactivated my long dormant FMCA membership, they sent me the card and instructions on how to activate it. Went to their website and followed their instructions and guess what? The card number produces a message "invalid number" and tells me I can only register it in person at a physical location.

Like I said, they have issues in their system that need correcting. I hardly think that's bashing. It's no big deal, they can keep their 2 cents.

I find that what works best for us is to pull into a Pilot or Flying J truck lane, swipe the card for pump start, pump the fuel and then go inside and pay. The discounts happen automatically, both getting the cash price on the CC and the .03/ gallon. No problem having to restart the pump at a predetermined limit. I never use the RV lanes unless I need propane. I realize that folks who drive gassers can't do that, but it works for me.

Do you know when we will receive our PILOT FLYING J credit card?

I applied the day i received e mail.

Welcome to the FMCA Forums. Are you referring to the Pilot Flying J Frequent Fueler Advantage card through FMCA? Note that it is not a credit card but a discount card.

The card being offered to Good Sam members is actually a charge card but must be paid in full each month. I was told that those would be received sometime in March.

It's been widely discussed here, and on other forums. The RV lanes are limited by the credit card companies max limit. That depends on the company, some are $75, others are $100. I've talked with the owner of a small truck stop in Wisconsin that I know personally and he explained that if the fuel retailer allows the customer to pump past the limit, which they can choose to do, and there's a problem with the card, the retailer is on the hook for it. At or below the limit the card company guarantees payment to the retailer. Lets face it, the RV lanes not with-standing, 99% of the fuel pumped on that side of the business will fall under the limit.

The truck pumps are handled differently. Pilot / Flying J has made the decision, apparently, to take the risk and allow realistic limits for their high volume customers. Of course remember, to get the pump to start you do have to swipe your Pilot / Flying J card which does have some of your personal identifying information attatched to it (or if a comercial driver, you have to type in your DOT number).

I had a lot of difficulty with the first card issued to me. I got it at the Good Sam rally in Louisville in 2010. I called Pilot / Flying J and they sent me a new card. So far it has worked as advertised at every stop I've made, all east of the Mississippi (I avoid Indiana as their state laws make it a hassle for the RV owner. You have to go into the store and pre-pay).

I'll have the opportunity to try it out west of the Mississippi later this year.