rrlowther

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Greetings Everyone.

I recently met up with another FMCA member when dropping our coach off at the shop. (Seems like we do that a lot). We had a long talk and he shared that the best investment we can make in our coach is a tire pressure monitoring system. I've checked into them and they run $700 or more.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a reliable system that is not quite so expensive? I'd even be interested in looking at a used unit as long as it works properly.

Thank you in advance for all of your advice.

I installed a Hawkshead TPMS system prior to a 1,500 mile drive from Ocala, FL to Vermont. The peace of mind is incredible. I have 8 sensors that have removable batteries...two on my trailer and six on my coach. It was substantially less than $700..and less than $500.

On the first day of my trip on Easter Sunday I had three flat tires on my trailer...first the right (I put on the spare) and then the left 500 miles later in the middle of I-95 in North Carolina. While sitting there the right tire I had changed in the AM had the valve stem break. ERS came and changed all three valve stems and I was on my way.

I was alerted to an issue with each tire long before they went flat. If I had not been alerted I would have possible destroyed all three tires and possibly the rims, so in my opinion the TPMS paid for itself the first day

Does anyone have a suggestion for a reliable system that is quite so expensive? I'd even be interested in looking at a used unit as long as it works properly. Thank you in advance for all of your advice.

I bought my system from Truck System Technologies. I bought the six-sensor unit, ($299) after a blow out on an inner dully. I transferred the sensors to my new coach in April. The sensors have to be returned for a battery change, which is a drag, but I can do it during a time when I'm not going out. I'm not a full timer. I would recommend this system as they work very well and don't leak. http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.html

For what it's worth:

I used the TST system on my 5'er and liked it. It was inside the tire, so nothing to steal, it compensated the pressure alarms for temperature, and was always there, and the control unit was easy to use. Only problem was that I didn't have it on my spare. Then when I had to have new tires mounted - the dealer broke all four of my sensors.

Next time around I tried the Doran system with the sensors that screw on to the stem. No temperature compensation (although it did measure it), and the teenintsy O-ring inside the sensor tends to get damaged when you have to remove it. And to get a replacement O-ring, guess where you have to go? I did have one tire failure due to sensor failure - the seal on the stem leaked (probably I overtightened it) and I never got an alarm until I heard a large bang. I remember that one well - changed the tire in the rain on a busy two lane road with no shoulder.

I am thinking about the TST for my motorhome.

Chuck

We purchased the TST 407 system back in June, the 10 sensor system for $499.00. I'm very happy with it, turn it on in the morning and check the coach and toad tires, monitor them for pressure and temperature as we roll along. I have done a manual comparison of the sensors a few times and am quite happy with the accuracy. As far as I'm concerned this is money well spent. If we start to lose tire pressure we will get an alarm. Getting off the road before the tire destroys itself or damages our coach or toad will pay for the TPMS. Besides the potential catastophic issues, I don't have to get down there and do a pressure check on 10 tires-easier on my back. If you don't have a system, ask for one for Christmas.

I brought 6 TRUCK SYSTEM TECHNOLOGY for my Vision... so far they have worked well...\

I also got 2 more for my Air bags, and one of them lose air, took me a little while to figure out why it was driving squirrely. Never could figure out why, but now I can monitor them too.

For me they are well worth the money.

Bob

Are the TST made TPMS the only ones made that have to be sent back to manufacturer for battery replacement's?

We are looking to purchasing a TPMS for our motor home & toad but didn't realize there were so many brands to choose from

Can any of the TPMS's be secured to the valve to prevent theft?

There are two systems from TST, the 410 which requires returning the sensors for battery replacement and the 407 system which allows you to change the batteries yourself. Both types of sensors come with a special wrench to install them and remove them-very easy to do... If you tried to spin them off by hand the end of the sensor just spins but will not come off the valve stem. Of course nothing is perfectly secure but the system will discourage most thieves.

There are two systems from TST, the 410 which requires returning the sensors for battery replacement and the 407 system which allows you to change the batteries yourself. Both types of sensors come with a special wrench to install them and remove them-very easy to do... If you tried to spin them off by hand the end of the sensor just spins but will not come off the valve stem. Of course nothing is perfectly secure but the system will discourage most thieves.

Am I wrong in thinking you mean the 510 and the 507?

Dave Ramsey