Sign in to follow this  
MikSher

Routing Richmond, Va to Hartford, Ct

Question

I am considering the following route around New York: I95N to I287 to I87 to I684 to I84. Is this a wide enough swing sround NY considering weekday travel around mid day?

5 answers to this question

I am considering the following route around New York: I95N to I287 to I87 to I684 to I84. Is this a wide enough swing sround NY considering weekday travel around mid day?

During my life as a over-the-road trucker I always used the I-84 option to bypass NYC. I have used I-95 and if it is mid day or a weekend and no major accidents to mar the trip it isn't all that bad. But my motto has always been if you don't absolutely have to go thru NYC than don't. Good luck and safe motoring.

Guest Wayne77590

We make the run from Quantico, VA to Mass, and the reverse of that for the last few years. Son is at Quantico, and Brother is in Central Mass.

We took some of the Interstate to get around DC, like I-495, I-270 and I-70 over to I-81.

Then I-81 to I-78, then to US-33 and US-209 (Deleware Water Gap)

US-209 will take you to I-84 on in to Hartford.

We were in a 40Ft towing.

It is 91 miles further doing this route, but less stressfull.

Happy trails.

We make the run from Quantico, VA to Mass, and the reverse of that for the last few years. Son is at Quantico, and Brother is in Central Mass.

We took some of the Interstate to get around DC, like I-495, I-270 and I-70 over to I-81.

Then I-81 to I-78, then to US-33 and US-209 (Deleware Water Gap)

US-209 will take you to I-84 on in to Hartford.

We were in a 40Ft towing.

It is 91 miles further doing this route, but less stressfull.

Happy trails.

Thanks...

During my life as a over-the-road trucker I always used the I-84 option to bypass NYC. I have used I-95 and if it is mid day or a weekend and no major accidents to mar the trip it isn't all that bad. But my motto has always been if you don't absolutely have to go thru NYC than don't. Good luck and safe motoring.

Thanks...

I live just outstide of NYC...I would not do the 287/87 route. Wayne has the right idea. The other option would be to stay on 81 directly to 84.