Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Combo Washer/Dryer Leak

Guest Wayne77590

While washing a few loads of clothes this past week we notice that the carpet was a little damp on the engine cover pull-up. I went outside and noticed a significant amount of water on the ground. I started looking inside but found now water on any hoses or connections. I "assumed" then that it was coming from the drain system. Especially since it only leaked when washing.

I called Winnebago, informed them of the situation, and I was asked where I was going. I replied Savannah, and they said the Camping World was a warranty repair facility. So, I called CW and set up for this morning, Monday. My stay overnight was in the parking lot with 30A according to my ems. Hey! It was free, right?

Today, Jack Shultz was called in. He is a partner with All American RV. If you do not have a Mfg. Warranty, he is a mobile repair service, 912-230-3942, in the Savannah and outlying areas.

Anyhow, He ended up pulling the washer out. What we (we, because I was supervising at no cost) was a rats nest of wires, hoses, and dryer connections back behind it. Pulling the washer and the boards it mounts to was, and is, a hassle. Under the support board for the washer (the board rests on a 1/2" aluminum square frame) was the drain line. The drain is a 1-1/2 inch PVC. The Combo 3/4 inch drain line just goes into an open 1-1/2 inch pvc. The pvc has a trap and a line going 90 degrees to the left where it enters the down drain with the anti-siphon contraption on the top, then down and a 90 degree turn toward the front of the Combo (underneath the flooring) and again a 90 degree downturn for the final leg of the drain into the grey tank. That last 90 degrees was not cemented, and the entire piece of drain, about 6-7 feet in all, was not supported anywhere behind the washer. So the torque on that last 90 degree elbow caused it to pull out of the pipe.

Jack cut the flat run so he could glue the elbow, put a union in the cut, and then used plumbers strap to anchor the pipe in 3 places after gluing the elbow and union. We are washing a load tonight.

I also discovered that on my trip up here the dash Air Conditioning was only blowing 60 degrees. (I have a thermometer I can put in a vent.) Jack said he had to add 2 pounds of freon, and that the caps for the attachments to the freon machine were missing. The freon was added and the caps replaced.

Now it is not sure if the freon will be covered under warranty, but CW told me that if it wasn't, they would call me and I could settle up with them. Now how's that for service.

If the service provided by the other full time technicians is as good as Jack's service, then I can highly recommend the Camping World in Pooler, GA, Exit 102 off of I-95. I can highly recommend All American RV and Jack SchultIz.

I didn't get a chance to walk around in the store, but did one stroll through, I'll be going back in the next 3 days to fill my wish list.

Isn't it just a shame that we pay a lot of money for something that should be put together and with a good quality control system. This unit came with the Combo unit in it. I'm assuming it was done at the factory, but in any case, quality control was not in the "Old Craftsman's" tool box the day the assembled this unit.

Guest Wayne77590

Don,

I'm trying hard to forget that term. Do you have to remind me?

But, these symptoms are simple ones that are fixable the first time. The name comes from trying to fix one probelm several times.

glad ya got er fixed up top! i will say camping worlds rv university was a great place to learn the trade. i was very impressed by ed sweetman and ralph fluery and jesse rossem, the instructors there. too bad they closed it though.

i wonder if jack was a graduate of it.

steve