delhawk

HWH Leveling Jacks

I have a 2000 Winnebago Brave 33V. The rear leveling jacks go down but do not fully retract. I had the coach in for service recently and the dealer said the jacks needed to be replaced. Estimated cost ~$1,000. Has anyone replaced them on their own? How difficult is it? I haven't looked yet under the coach yet to see whats involved, but I'm guessing that ti's not much more than removing anchor bolts and disconnecting the hydraulic line and then reversing the process and bleeding the hydraulic system.

Actually, I would start by calling HWH with your jack model number and tell them your symptoms. It could be something as simple as you not using the correct stow procedure (which can trap hydraulic fluid in those long lines to the back)!

They are great in walking you through the diagnostic process. And if parts or service are needed and you decide to do it yourself, they can provide that as well.

HWH 800 321-3494 or 563 724-3396.

Brett

Hi delhawk,

You are correct about the replacement procedure. One does not even need to bleed the lines. The reservoir has a vent cap on it. If any air is in the lines it will be pumped into the reservoir and expelled there. For me, the most difficult part was the jack springs. I use the clothes pin method to replace the spring on the new jack, it just took a while to get it done.

After staying in our motorhome all winter, I raised the jacks in preparation for departing, but they did not fully retract. I thought to myself that I had intended to clean the jack rods with WD40 before retracting them. I extended the jacks, cleaned the rods (shiny, movable part of jack) with WD40 and then they fully retracted. It seemed to work for me.

Sam

I had some problems with my HWH jacks at one time. The service guy suggested that I spray the rods with silicone instead of WD40 or any lubricant that can attract dirt. I've been doing that and no problems.

Hi everyone,

In the past I sprayed my jack cylinders and it did help. However, after replacing 2 of my jacks I am rethinking that activity. It seems the jack not retracting properly is the result of a very large seal in the jack contracting in on the cylinder.

I do not know if spraying the cylinders contributes to this contraction. For me, the jury is out on this one.

I have a 2005 winnebago (journey) 350 #7 All of the jacks come up using the (STORE) button however the left rear will come up but not enough to turn light off or the buzzer 1 or 2 inches. I have contacted HWH and they are looking into it. I spent $130.00 at General RV in Wixom and they said that I have a bent cylinder. :lol:

I have a 2005 winnebago (journey) 350 #7 All of the jacks come up using the (STORE) button however the left rear will come up but not enough to turn light off or the buzzer 1 or 2 inches. I have contacted HWH and they are looking into it. I spent $130.00 at General RV in Wixom and they said that I have a bent cylinder. laugh.gif

Yup, a bent cylinder is certainly one of the causes of a jack not properly stowing.