Sign in to follow this  
dstand534

Best Satellite Antenna For Motorhome

I currently have a 43 foot motorhome with KVH in-motion satellite and Direct TV.

We are wanting to record and you cannot do this with a Direct receiver and KVH satellite.

What is the best satellite you have experienced so you can get the proper direct receiver to record?

We just changed to slim line and to High Def service with DVR, very satisfied with Directv service. Hope it helps.

I currently have a 43 foot motorhome with KVH in-motion satellite and Direct TV.

We are wanting to record and you cannot do this with a Direct receiver and KVH satellite.

What is the best satellite you have experienced so you can get the proper direct receiver to record?

I believe you must have a single unit receiver. See if you can get a DVR and I think you may be able to record and watch a different channel at the same time. I don't beleive it the satellite thats the problem. If you have Direct TV in your home and have a DVR move it to the coach and see if you can record then. If so then just get another DVR.

Good Luck

We just changed to slim line and to High Def service with DVR, very satisfied with Directv service. Hope it helps.

What satellite antenna do you have on top? Mine is KVH Tracvision and they along with Direct tell me I cannot use the direct receiver that allows you to record.

Guest BillAdams

What satellite antenna do you have on top? Mine is KVH Tracvision and they along with Direct tell me I cannot use the direct receiver that allows you to record.

Some (but not all) of the KVH domes only have a single output LNB and if this is the case with yours then you would have to update to a dual output setup which involved installing a different kind of LNB (known as a stacked LNB) and a destacker inside the coach. This would allow you to combine the 2 signals and then split them inside the coach. This is about a $300 piece of hardware plus the labor involved to make the change.

It's not the best choice, but it is by far the least expensive. The caveat is that not all of the KVH antennas are capable of this option so you may have to replace your antenna to gain this option.

If so, I would recommend getting away from a dome unit for the best overall performance.

We have been using the Moto Sat slimline for 3 years with good results. It has 4 outputs so you can run 2 hd receivers with dvrs.

Guest BillAdams

MotoSAT and Winegard are the only 2 manufacturers of the multi-LNB antennas for DirecTV and Dish Network (as well as Bell ExpressVu and Shaw Direct). Both work very well but you will want to take a look at both before making a purchase decision.

I have sold both systems having been a Winegard dealer for some 20 odd years and more recently with MotoSAT. Comparing the two I would say that MotoSAT has a more robust construction and doesn't have wires hanging out around the mechanism. Also I have found customer service has been better.

Guest BillAdams

We are also a long time Motosat and Winegard dealer. The Motosat does get points for looks (very cool glowing blue at night) but I am not sure that this alone is worth the extra $300-$600. The Motosat has also had more than a dozen software updates released in the last 3 years and Winegard has released exactly...zero. The elevation worm drive on the Winegard handles high winds (deployed or stowed) substantially better than the Motosat. The Winegard peaking routine which allows the movement of both skew and azimuth simultaneously allows for a better final peak. The Winegard 2 year parts and 1 year labor warranty beats the Motosat 3 year limited/graduated parts and 3 month labor warranty. Motosat has a very small dealer network compared to the Winegard and can make finding someone to diagnose/repair a Motosat a real challenge.

As to tech. support, I would have to call that one a toss-up. I can't give either company the highest marks in this area but they both do try very hard to get it right.

Our MotoSat HD has worked flawlessly. Still able to receive most of the HD channels in Alaska! We are very pleased with our decision to buy it. Also we use Direct TV service.