seajaycecil@yahoo.com

Read this and profit by my error

I would like to post the following for my fellow campers and motor home owners.

Some time ago I had a large company to order me a Banks Exhaust system for my

2000 class A Pace Arrow motor home. The exhaust system was delivered and I took my coach down to have the system installed. I bought the transmission chip and the complete Power Pack system for a v10 Ford engine.

I delivered the coach as instructed and was assured that the installation would take no more than three working days to complete. Two days later I was informed by phone that there was a problem with six manifold bolts and that I would be surcharged an extra $410.00 for broken bolt removal. I will state at this time that this company was already charging me about $675.00 for the instillation of the exhaust system. I finally agreed to the ‘’extra charge of $410.00’’ and work proceeded.

Three days later I was informed that the ‘’technician’’ was having trouble with two of the bolts that he had broken off in the head and that a complete head removal may be in order so they could complete the job. I was told that this would cost an additional $1700.00 on top of all the other installation charges previously discussed.

I went down to the company to look at the situation. I will state now that I was a mechanic for 14 years and I have done this type work.

The coach was up on a lift about five feet off the ground. I was instructed that the two broken bolts were the last two on the right side of the head. There was nothing in the way of boring out these bolts. There was a straight shot for the drill path and there should actually be very little problem removing these bolts. I removed a couple items from the coach and went back home.

Several days later I was called by the service manager and told that there was about twenty hours of labor in removing the two broken bolts from the cylinder head of this engine.

I informed him that if he had a ‘’Tech’’ that took 20 man hours to remove two bolts that he had a ‘’duck digging a ditch’’. He said he was going to give me a ‘’special rate’’ on the work and a price that would be fair for both myself and the company. His suggestion was that I should pay an additional $1000.00 to cover broken extractors and man hours applied to this job. This was in addition to the $675.00 dollars plus the $410.00 dollars I had already agreed to pay. Needless to say I did not agree with this surcharge

After much discussion I agreed to pay $525.00 instead of the initial $410.00 for bolt removal plus the $675.00 for the muffler installation complete.

They have had my coach for two weeks and I am paying over one thousand dollars total cost for an installation that was quoted for $675.00 initially.

I will state now that I firmly believe in paying for what I get and I have no problem in giving the devil his due.

I will advise this to my fellow members. Get a firm commitment from your person that installs a Banks kit on your coach and be very careful of ‘’overcharges’’ by companies that employ ‘’ducks to dig ditches’’……………………

Seajay the sailor man…..

Ps. E mail me at seajaycecil@yahoo.com and I will tell you the name of the company I did business with….

That kind of crap is why I took my coach (99 F-53 V-10) to the factory to have my kit installed. They broke 2 bolts, charged $214. extra, I pulled in at 6 am, they handed me the keys at 3pm with the completed upgrade. I couldn't be happier with the installation or the increased performance.

Bob