carlpeterson

Leaking Gray Water Dump Valve

I don't think it is all that hard. Try this first...put a bit of Vaseline on the valve handle shaft. It may not be shutting all the way closed.

Guest BillAdams

If yours are like mine (and you can get to them easily) there are just 4 nuts and bolts at the corners. Empty the tanks and tilt the coach the other way a bit (water won't run uphill!). You find the replacement valve, unscrew 4 screws and put the new one in place. Use a little Vaseline or similar on the o-rings and bolt the new one back in place.

If yours are like mine (and you can get to them easily) there are just 4 nuts and bolts at the corners. Empty the tanks and tilt the coach the other way a bit (water won't run uphill!). You find the replacement valve, unscrew 4 screws and put the new one in place. Use a little Vaseline or similar on the o-rings and bolt the new one back in place.

Yup, as long as you can access the valve, easy to replace. I get even a little more carried away with the tilting. I tilt the coach TOWARD the side with the valve first and open the valve. After it has stopped dripping, I then tilt it the other way. Have never had to work with any water, etc.

And I use pure silicone lubricant on the sides of the slide area of the new valve when I install it-- keeps it operating smooth all season.

Brett

Thank you for your quick support, However my valves appear to be unaccessible except through the floor above them. I guess that I will just let it drip. Thankfully its not the black tank.

Thank you for your quick support, However my valves appear to be inaccessible except through the floor above them. I guess that I will just let it drip. Thankfully its not the black tank.

I find it hard to believe that you can not access your valves from the compartment. If this is a fact might I suggest you find a way to remove the panel covering the valves.

I had a water valve problem and had to replace it. It also looked as if it was inaccessible. It is accessible now-- I made a cut out in the plastic panel. I found some paneling trim to join two wall panels together. If I every have to go into the valve again all I have to do is slide out the trim remove the cut out and wala! I have access.

Again look real hard to see if you can find an access.

They do have a cap that goes on the hose connection the will stop the waste from dripping into the compartment.

Good Luck.

You may not need to change the t-valve. On my 97 Fleetwood bounder the grey and black water tanks come together, each with its own t-valve. My grey also leaked. I bought an add-on t-valve at CW which went on where the sewer hose normally goes. The hose then connects to the add-on valve. The leak no longer is a problem and I now have the capability to flush the balack tank a number of times using the grey water and manipulating the valves. Let me know if you have any problem finding the valve or understanding my approach.

AJ Theiler

Dear Carl,

I have a similar situation. I have a pre owned 2004 Georgie Boy which I really like. However we had several leaks in the same area. The RV dealer said the problem was fixed several times, but under the pressure of an RV park the leaks still survived. I finally found a tool called, "DREMEL Multi-Max", which allowed me to cut the bay apart to give me access to all the water controls and drain connections. I replaced some of my control with and an after market item and was able to cut an access hole to control the valve.

Now anytime I need to get to this area all I have to do is take out a few screws and I have full access to plumbing controls. We will never solve the problems trying to get things back together like the manufacture did, and RV dealers will charge you an arm and a leg to do so.

John Billups

jayrbiii@yahoo.com

I have a 2006 Safari Simba. Gray water tanks leak even though valve is closed. Does it take a Rocket Scientist to change this valve?

Hi Carl,

Changing dump valves in itself is not a difficult job, getting access to the valve and space to work on them is always the challenge. Some great posts regarding future access and well worth doing. We specialize in RV waste management and are here to help RVers understand what RV manufacturers do when they build RVs--from a holding tank forward point of view. We also full time RVd for more than 10 years and realized a real need to help others in this important area of RVing. Contact us 877 787 8833 toll free with issues you are not sure of or need clarification.

Dear Carl,

I have a similar situation. I have a pre owned 2004 Georgie Boy which I really like. However we had several leaks in the same area. The RV dealer said the problem was fixed several times, but under the pressure of an RV park the leaks still survived. I finally found a tool called, "DREMEL Multi-Max", which allowed me to cut the bay apart to give me access to all the water controls and drain connections. I replaced some of my control with and an after market item and was able to cut an access hole to control the valve.

Now anytime I need to get to this area all I have to do is take out a few screws and I have full access to plumbing controls. We will never solve the problems trying to get things back together like the manufacture did, and RV dealers will charge you an arm and a leg to do so.

John Billups

jayrbiii@yahoo.com

Hey John, another alternative to an easy access hatch install is to get one with built in latch that is water tight from one of the Marine Supply shops ( such as Westmarine). This is one of my projects in progress right now..

Clive

Many thanks to all who responded to my the leaking valve on my grey water tank. I found a shutoff valve which connects to the sewer hose connection and a bottom connection for the sewer hose to connect to. $25.00 at Dues Camping Center in Dickinson, TX. I'm sure most RV parts places have them, but I was there for a recall on my Dometic 1200 RLIM refrigerator. Problem solved.