steve@switzland.com

Just Received Rand Mcnally's TripMaker RVND 5510

I just received a TripMaker® RVND™ 5510 GPS unit from Rand McNally. Although I haven't taken it out on a trip, I wanted to give my initial impression of the unit:

I have a Class A Monaco and have been using a TomTom Go. It has gotten me where I want to go but was set up for a car and not at all for a motor home. I recently purchased another unit at Costco and while it was a nice unit, the mount was terrible as it would not allow the GPS unit to be mounted on the driver's side window; it was designed for a car windshield.

So, I returned it and started looking again for a GPS unit that was more tailored for RV usage. I found the TripMaker® RVND™ 5510 on Rand McNally's web site and, after searching the web, found a 20% discount code (great20).

I just received it a few hours ago and am giving my 1st impressions:

The packaging is very nice and I must say the TripMaker® RVND™ 5510 is a very attractive unit. The snap-on cradle and the mount are very impressive. The mount is the best I have seen on a GPS unit. It is very heavy duty and will allow for great viewing angles on the side window of a motor home. The only possible gripe would be the power connector is on the left side of the unit. This would be up against the window. The power connector might be better off on the bottom or right side…we will have to wait and see.

Upon connecting the unit to the computer, it automatically installed the proper drivers and Windows opened a window showing the onboard memory of the TripMaker® RVND™ 5510. Once opened, the Windows software is right there. This is a ice touch as you don't have to mess around with CD's.

The software installed without issues and immediately asked if I wanted to update the software on the TripMaker® RVND™ 5510. I would recommend that you have a little time and a fast Internet connection as this took around an hour on my DSL line.

Once all the updates (314 total) were installed, I disconnected the unit and started playing around. Wow, this thing is amazing. You enter your motor home information, e.g., height, weight, length and if you are towing something. When it plans your route, it will plan it for the proper roadways based on the information you entered; pretty cool.

There are some great information screens. One tells you what your elevation is (nice to know), speed time to destination and other pertinent info.

Another button, and one that is great for me, is a one touch button for RV friendly gas stations. This is huge for me as I have always found it hard to find these types of businesses as I am driving.

While I haven't used the TripMaker® RVND™ 5510 on a trip yet, I can't wait. I will let you know how it works on the road.

steve

Well....thanks for the review there. Mine shoould be in today or tomorrow. I also need an RV friendly GPS unit. There are too many considerations that a car would not have, obviously, over a motor home. I was also lucky enough to have found a 20% discount code too(VIP).

Tanks for the quick review.

This thing wasn't even supposed to be out till the middle of June, so we got a jump on it.

Thanks for the discount code. I have had my eye on this item also. When I saw your update about it and the discount code, I ordered one also. Looking forward to it coming.

Thanks again for the discount code information.

I'm interested in getting more info on the capabilities and limitations of the unit.

1. Can custom or individual POI's be uploaded from external databases? Say, an index of cemeteries for genealogists

2. Can a route be developed on a computer and downloaded to the GPS?

3. Will the GPS re-route on the fly?

I know there are more questions to come, and thanks for any info.

Wish the manufacturers would tell us what the unit does instead of having us guess!.

I'm interested in getting more info on the capabilities and limitations of the unit.

1. Can custom or individual POI's be uploaded from external databases? Say, an index of cemeteries for genealogists

2. Can a route be developed on a computer and downloaded to the GPS?

3. Will the GPS re-route on the fly?

I know there are more questions to come, and thanks for any info.

Wish the manufacturers would tell us what the unit does instead of having us guess!.

I will try to answer as best I can:

1) Not that I can tell

2) Not that I can tell

3) Yes

I have uploaded the user guide so you can take a look at what it does. I have owned numerous GPS units with some being built into cars and several portable ones. This is by far the nicest, and for RV's the best I have come across. Go here for the user manual. I hope it will answer all of your questions.

steve

I just tried to use great20 as a code and it would not work...suggestions? This was on Rand McNally' site.

The unit sounds great. How do I find the discount? The checkout says not valid.

I just tried to use great20 as a code and it would not work...suggestions? This was on Rand McNally' site.

Try the one stargazr posted. Try VIP

Hopefully, they haven't turned these off...

Steve,

Thanks for posting the user's guide.

From what I've read, Ican enter the waypoints and POI's manually. Was trying to avoid that, but looking at the big picture, the pro's definitely outweigh the cons.

Boy, it looks like they locked out all the codes. I feel bad that they don't work anymore. Both codes that were given here were supposed to work until May 31st. I just spent half an hour trying other codes that I found but none work...sorry folks, it is still a great unit and worth the money; even if it is at full price.

I checked the Camping World website and the club price for it is $319.99. That's not 20% but better than nothing. I checked in the local Camping World store and it is not in stock yet.

Guest BillAdams

After reading the users manual I would not buy a Rand McNally unit. The POI databases are amazing and if the RM cannot use these you are missing an amazing opportunity.

After reading the users manual I would not buy a Rand McNally unit. The POI databases are amazing and if the RM cannot use these you are missing an amazing opportunity.

I am a little confused by your statement. I have played around with the unit and am amazed at the POI database that is inside. And, it is RV friendly. Instead of having to search for RV parks, RV gas stations, RV friendly rest stops, etc., they are all there.

Yes, but there are hundreds and hundreds of missing POI's that can be imported to the other GPS manufacturers units. Databases from low bridges to speed traps to Tim Horton's to In-N-Out burgers. The list in almost endless.

Take a look at a few of them (if you have the time!).

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=170

Each GPS unit has its strengths and weaknesses. Some have instant traffic updates, some have speed traps, and, some even let you update the burger joints. This one is designed specifically for RV's. As of now, there are no others like it. Unfortunately, one can't pick and choose what features you want. And, the database for low bridges is there; that is why you put the information in telling the unit the size of your motorhome. This unit has two to three times the database than my TomTom. I have owned it less than a week and there have been three updates already for information. I am very pleased with it.

Guest BillAdams

Yeah, I think I will wait and stick with my Garmin 2720.

Steve,

Thanks for posting the User's Manual. :)

We received our unit yesterday but I have not been able to do the downloads yet since we use Macs, and those instructions are not too clear. Will call for support on Monday. One thing I have noticed, is that our screen resolution is VERY grainy. Did you have any issue like this? Thanks.

Marie

Steve,

Thanks for posting the User's Manual. :)

We received our unit yesterday but I have not been able to do the downloads yet since we use Macs, and those instructions are not too clear. Will call for support on Monday. One thing I have noticed, is that our screen resolution is VERY grainy. Did you have any issue like this? Thanks.

Marie

Hi Marie,

My screen resolution is just fine. Perhaps when everything is updated and re-booted it will look OK. As far as I can tell, there is no Apple software and it looks like it is all Windows based. The software is on the unit when you plug it into a Windows based computer. Perhaps you can go to a friend's house and use their computer to do the updates.

Good luck,

Steve

Hi Marie,

My screen resolution is just fine. Perhaps when everything is updated and re-booted it will look OK. As far as I can tell, there is no Apple software and it looks like it is all Windows based. The software is on the unit when you plug it into a Windows based computer. Perhaps you can go to a friend's house and use their computer to do the updates.

Good luck,

Steve

Hi,

I do have Windows on my Mac so I downloaded the updates and re-booted unit, but no improvement with the screen resolution. Although I agree with all your first impressions, I am very disappointed with our screen resolution. It is very hard to read. I will be calling support on Monday. Thanks

Marie

Yeah, I think I will wait and stick with my Garmin 2720.

Me also. Though it is getting old, mine has the 2011 software and many POI's. It just keeps going and going, and....

If you have an iPhone or iPad there is an app called Allstays Camp and RV. It is just amazing. It would probably rival Tripmaker RVND for info and the thing about it is that you can provide feedback on all the campgrounds to make it even better.