steve@switzland.com

Just Received Rand Mcnally's TripMaker RVND 5510

Thanks for the discount code. I have had my eye on this item also. When I saw your update about it and the discount code, I ordered one also. Looking forward to it coming.

Thanks again for the discount code information.

Am trying to find the 20% discount code for the RVND 5510 Can you help. Gary seaayer@aol.com

Guest BillAdams

I believe I read that those codes where no longer valid. VIP and Great20 are the only ones I have seen.

I purchased my 5510 from Camping World last week. I now have NO hair on my head after trying to enter a multi-stop cross country. I visited with 2 RM techs and both gave me the same answer basically you CANNOT enter a route of your desire and you cannot look in detail at a planned trip except for the first leg. They told me that it would send you the "best" route within the law. It sent me down narrow winding two lane farm-to-market roads when a direct 4 lane highway was available and shorter plus faster. In have used CoPilot laptop 11 for years on a laptop and netbook but it is out dated but they have a new CoPilot 8 laptop which I am getting ready to order. It is RV friendly and will allow you to program YOUR route not THEIRS but will not lead you down a NON-RV lane. I am going to try to return my 5510 to Camping World for a refund tomorrow.

The 5510 is RV friendly BUT is not RVER friendly unless you want them to plan your entire trip with no discussion!

I use a Garmin 465T that let's you set it up for Truck/Motorhome routing - takes into consideration weight limits on bridges, low overpasses, narrow roads etc....

I have used my RVND 5510 on a recent month long trip from Texas to Michigan then out west and then back. Its ok, a bigger screen would be very nice. I mounted mine on the dash above the rear view camera so I can see both at the same time. I also have Co-Pilot truck on my IPad and used them both to compare. Co-pilot truck is for trucks but also has routing for RVs and cars. Most of the time the two units agreed on route and were always matched on speed, etc. The co-pilot takes the operational environment of the big rig trucks into account and there is a choice for fastest, shortest, and pratical, a very nice feature. One advantage, I turned off the main route a couple of times. The RVND 5510 would let me make tight right turns to get back on course, the co-pilot absolutely refused to give me a right turn on city streets (I like that). When your new in town and don't know the streets a right turn can get you in trouble fast. I figure anywhere an 18 wheeler can go, I can certainly go without much difficulty.

One quick aside. I found a bridge in Wyoming that was only 12 ft 10 inches and neither unit picked up on it. I was in a spot where turning around meant backing up about two miles. my coach is 12 ft 6 in but with the CB and radio antennas it is closer to 13. both antennas scrapped loudly but the coach was clear all the way.

I think you will find the 5510 to your liking.

Guest Wayne77590

For what it's worth, if you are an Escapee member they are offering $50 off.

I'm with Bill on this one. I'll wait and pay the additional $50 if POI's are enhanced. I presently have the TomTom Live 740. I can, on the fly, search "live" for any point that I am interested in using the Google search built into the TomTom, plus, DW has the iPad 3G.

If you have never seen the POI database that is on the Discovery Owners Club site, you are missing something. I have the full version for Microsoft Streets & Trips, and it is awesome. It is not for all GPS's but for what I have it beats the Rand item. The TomTom has low clearances.

I'm holding off for more reviews, and possibly software updates.

Guest Wayne77590

For what it's worth, if you are an Escapee member they are offering $50 off.

I'm with Bill on this one. I'll wait and pay the additional $50 if POI's are enhanced. I presently have the TomTom Live 740. I can, on the fly, search "live" for any point that I am interested in using the Google search built into the TomTom, plus, DW has the iPad 3G.

If you have never seen the POI database that is on the Discovery Owners Club site, you are missing something. I have the full version for Microsoft Streets & Trips, and it is awesome. It is not for all GPS's but for what I have it beats the Rand item. The TomTom has low clearances.

I'm holding off for more reviews, and possibly software updates.

Just saw the pre-release info on the new Magellan RoadMate Pro 9165T. Due out this month, and seems to have solutions to most, if not all, the questions raised about the Rand-McNally here.

Owners manual can be downloaded. Camping World is $50 off at this time.

I was one of the first owners of the RV GPS. What a waste of money. I recently returned (yesterday) from a three week trip. I thought it would give me all sorts of neat stuff. It told me about speed zones, big deal I have a wife for that. I used my Garmin (I think a 1200) with it's big screen and the Rand McNally unit with it's minature screeen. If I was 20 inches from the windshield maybe ok, but it is to small. Another product designed by trailer people and people who have never been in or driven a motorhome. I am going to a six state rally and perhaps I can meet the people from Rand McNally and tell them to stick to maps.

We bought this unit when it came out. Took a 2500 mile trip through 7 western states. Great product. Only complaint was ours did not have a audio warning for an upcoming low bridge, only a visual warning sign. I was on winding coastal roads and didn't see it right away. I had listed enough clearance and we were fine. Worth the price we paid.

That would be Google Maps or WAZE.  Do the research before you go to determine where you want to go and then use these tools to get you there.  Cost?  ZERO!  Only this kind of web based service can give you current, up-to-date, information and dramatically more than any available for a stand alone GPS.  All of the GPS units suffer from limited and out of date information and that part of the equation will never change unless the companies change the way they do business.

4 hours ago, MARIAHPINES said:

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CURRENT OPINION OF A GOOD RV GPS. THESE POST ARE ALL 6 YEARS OLD ?

We use CoPilot because you can download the maps on WiFi and not use data. It works well as you can adjust preferences. We like Bill A use google maps/Google earth and RV Parkey also RV park Reviews. 

Bill

You can do the same thing with Google Maps if you need to save data.  Download the area you plan to travel before you go and like is OK.  I say OK and not Good as using Google Maps without data will not give you updated traffic information which I really like having available.

I have heard great reviews on the Garmin RV GPS.

Bill, curious...how long does it take for you to prep for a trip?

6 hours ago, jleamont said:

I have heard great reviews on the Garmin RV GPS.

Bill, curious...how long does it take for you to prep for a trip?

Depends on the length of the trip and where. 

Bill

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Depends on the length of the trip and where. 

Bill

Can you just jump in, key in your destination and roll?