mjrij

Bicycle Rack Recommendation

I am in the market to purchase a bicycle rack for my coach, installed on the 2 inch receiver.

Is there anything I should be aware of, as it pertains to towing a car from the same receiver some day in the future?

Thanks for any input on this topic, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mikie

Get a good bicycle rack for a 2" receiver. When you decide to tow a car, you can move the bicycle rack to the 2" receiver on your car. If you don't think the car will have a 2" receiver, go for a 1" receiver and use an adapter for the motor home. If your car doesn't have a receiver, you can always add one that will handle a bicycle rack. I wouldn't trust any bicycle rack as an in-between for the motor home and toad. There is an internet company, etrailer.com that has a very extensive product line of bicycle racks. You might find something that will work for you or at least some ideas of what to look for.

Thank you Mr. Butler for the info, I'll give that web site a try.

Like I said I'm not ready to tow a toad yet, but in the mean time

I do like riding and exploring in the mornings.

Thanks again,

Mikie

I too have been browsing for a good bike rack. The only one that goes on the 2" draw bar is a "Swagman" at Camping World, $229. It requires a minimum 10" drawbar. most are 8", so you are only extending your ball behind the coach by 2". It fits over the drawbar, rather than having its own receiver to extend back. Looks like the only one there is that fits that location. I have checked the Thule and Yakima outlets and they don't make one for that application. I have an old rack that rests on the bumper and ties back to the top of the door on my SUV. I will try it out on the back of the Beaver, as there is a tie back point on the top of the air grill. If that doesn't work, it is the Swagman for me.

I have been using the Swagman hitch mounted bike carrier for some years. (I just saw this 3 bike carrier on Google Products for $80.00.)

I do tow a car & one problem is to check the oil, water, etc for a diesel pusher, is that you have to remove the bikes. The other problem is if your tow bar is RV mounted, then when you disconnect you have to hang tow bar from the bikes, you wont be able to lock it in its stow position. Not a big deal just hang it with some bungee cords.

Harry

1997 Discovery, 116,000 miles

2006 Scion xB toad.

Saris makes more than one rack that will work in a 2" receiver. We use it typically in our toad, but also have used it in the motorhome directly. It is very secure and will fold up out of the way when the bikes are off it. Here is a link to the model we have, but there are others as well. Good quality products. Prices will vary, shop around.

post-952-0-16075700-1307107964_thumb.jpg

http://www.saris.com/bike-racks/vehicle-racks/hitch-racks.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=72&category_id=8

The Swagman is your best bet becuase it allows the bikes to be supported by the wheels rather than the frame. Also if you get off into the boonies, becuase of this support method, your bikes will sustain less damage than if supported by the frame

C J Vermeulen, Triple E Signature, 2002 Tracker ZR2

I also carry two bike when we travel. I purchased a double 2" receiver from Roadmaster. I use the bottom 2" for toad and the top 2" for bicyle rack. I was told many years ago to never put your bicyle rack on your toad, Always on the motorhome because it is more stable. Most bicyle shops will tell you not to travel with your bike on your toad. You can find a nice rack that will fit a 2" receiver at most any bike shop. Happy trails.

I too am one that prefers a bike rack that supports the bike from its wheels. We used the common frame hanging type with two bikes and no matter how careful I was I ended up with scrtaches on a nice new bike. I just bought the SportRack A30901 from Amazon for about $145.

I have been looking for a rack for my 2002 Roadtrek 190V. The Saris Thelma is a great rack.

The common problem I am facing is that almost every rack obscures the license plate which, by CA law, is illegal. In many states just a reason to pull you over and cite you.

Moving the plate is not really an option either as, by law, it must me illuminated, and at a specific height, etc.

I am about to depart across country and do not wish to be a target of opportunity with CA plates.

Any suggestions? Anyone had any issues with this?

Thanks,

Trapper

2002 RT 190V SEAHAG

I have been using the Swagman 3 bike towing rack for several years and I highly recommend it. In No

v. 2009 we were rearended by a fully loaded Gravel truck with a loaded trailer while towing our toad with 2 bikes on the rack behind the Motorhome. The Swagman stopped the toad from hitting the rear of the Motorhome. The tow bar broke in two, the drawbar was bent and the Hitch on the Motorhome was bent, but the Swagman received only minor damage & is still in use today.

I have included a pic of the front damage that was done by the Swagman bike rack to our toad a 1972 VW Beetle.

Mike

post-4462-0-88364200-1307167306_thumb.jp

Has anyone had problems with law enforcement because their bike racks obstruct the rear license plate? Almost every hitch mount does.

I want to avoid issues with small town police, etc as I travel the country and do not wish to call attention to myself.

Would appreciate some insight before I spend a lot of money on a bike rack :)

Thanks,

Trapper

Roadtrek 2002 190V

San Diego, CA

Swagman XTC4 for four bikes. It's the best, very easy to load and unload. No bike movement or damage during use. Overbuilt. Bought mine @ Amazon but have had good luck with etrailer.

Has anyone had problems with law enforcement because their bike racks obstruct the rear license plate? Almost every hitch mount does.

We've traveled over 100,000 miles in all 49 continental states and all of Canada except Newfoundland and Nunavut. We have never been stopped or questioned regarding our bike rack. We have a Draftmaster which holds the bicycles so they and the bike rack partially obscure our license plate.

I have a reciever hitch and pull a car I got a bike rack and welded it onto the hitch. sorry I dont have pictures but after pulling 5000 miles it works great doesnt interfear with the toad or block the licence when we arent pulling the car.

If you don't now you can't you can do anything you want. :rolleyes:

We have the bikes on a fork mount on the roof of the Tow'd, why? so we can take the bikes with us when we explore. Good news, no problems in 7 years and 70k miles. Bad news, Alaska roads, Hyder in particular were so rough that the swaying snapped the dropouts on my Cannondale. The roof top fork mount has two rails, one is Thule and the other is Yakima. Just because I could!

Have a receiver mount that I used once. We don't travel with out the Tow'd.