Sign in to follow this  
connitaylor

Glacier National Park

Question

We were thinking of going on the Going-to-the-Sun road through Glacier. But after looking at cams online, it looks like a narrow two-lane road with narrow shoulders. We will be driving a 26-foot motor home with no toad. Any advice, yea or nay, on the road?

8 answers to this question

I'd say this is a definite Neah for that size MH. We've done it in a Jeep, and it's worth seeing. We'll be there again this summer. I'm not even sure that length MH is allowed.

Suggest you try to find another way to do the highway. Be Safe.

Hi Connitaylor,

Go to http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm This is the NPS web site for Glacier NP

To answer your question, this is an excerpt from the above mentioned web site:

Are there vehicle size restrictions on the Going-to-the-Sun Road?

Yes. To help reduce congestion, vehicle size restrictions are in effect. Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet(including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking.

The bottom line is your coach is not allowed on the Road. There are a couple of alternative arrangements, inside the park, to still travel the Road. The above mentioned web site details the alternatives.

I've been there before and will be back again this summer. I like hiking the park. If you are so inclined, there are trails for those of all different abilities.

From looking at a map, guess we will have to skip the road through. The only other one I see is around and, hopefully, it will be almost as scenic.

Thanks for the help.

Yep,

There is the Shuttle bus, fully enclosed and HVAC controlled. There is also a red bus that is open top. Depending on the weather, your choice. Each comes with its' own experience.

Don't miss the Going to the Sun Road. We rode motorcycles across, and while it was an adventure, the chill, even in July, and the absolute focus it requires to navigate the road kept us from really "sightseeing" along the way. The red cars are the original Fords from earlier days, totally refurbished, with older local guides that we heard were really engaging. You can enjoy the view and the narrative. We've done Beartooth, South Dakota, and other "bucket list" rides, but there's been nothing like Going to the Sun. We like West Glacier better than East Glacier. If you're there the first weekend in August, there's a quilt show in Eureka. See Kalispell; go into Canada. It's a great trip.

From looking at a map, guess we will have to skip the road through. The only other one I see is around and, hopefully, it will be almost as scenic.

Thanks for the help.

There is no way that any other route will be close to as scenic so don't pass up the trip along Going to the Sun Road. Just leave the rig parked and enjoy the view on one of the tour buses or cars. For a route around, any other road will give you great scenery, you are going through the Rocky Mountains, but it won't equal the amazing views of glaciers (small in those hanging valleys) and the waterfalls from the hanging valleys to the main valley floor. Pick a day when the weather is clear, the high portion of the road is sometimes clouded (fogged) in and you'll miss some of the spectacular views on cloudy or foggy days. If you have children with you they will want to stop and play on some of the snow fields along the road or at the visitors center on the continental divide. Check to see if your tour makes stops along the way.

Because you will be seeing some of the best examples of glacial erosion on Going to the Sun Road, I would recommend that you do a little reading on valley glaciers and the erosional features they leave behind when they melt. The main valley is a classic glacial valley (very straight, only a slight bend) with hanging valleys, waterfalls and cirques all visible from the road. To really appreciate the features it helps to understand how they were formed. When you do that, you can visualize the system of glaciers that filled and formed the valley you are viewing.

It will be our first trip there in late July and early August and looking forward a great time. Plenty of camp grounds in the area.