jmgrigsby

How To Add An Air Hose Outlet?

My friend's motorhome has an outlet for connecting to an air hose(so he can air up his tires, etc). My motorhome doesn't have this. When they came to tow my motorhome, I noticed that they connected an air hose from tow truck to my MH. They removed one of the five(5) "half inch" allen-wrench nuts and screwed in an air hose adapter and connected their air hose there.

Has anyone added an outlet to connect your air hose to on your MH(so you don't have to carry an air compressor)?

Jim

Tap into the tank where the compressor regulator is hooked to. The reason for this is that if you use air from another tank, the compressor, because of check valves, might not come on when the pressure is lowered. Remember if you or anyone else changes the air system from the way it was manufactured you become the manufacturer in the eyes of the law. That makes you liable for any problems that might arise.

PLEASE, contact your chassis maker. Most fit an air manifold such as the one you mention that was meant to connect to things like an air chuck for filling tires.

Do NOT just tap into the air system-- that can both be dangerous and put you under real liability.

Brett

PLEASE, contact your chassis maker. Most fit an air manifold such as the one you mention that was meant to connect to things like an air chuck for filling tires.

Do NOT just tap into the air system-- that can both be dangerous and put you under real liability.

Brett

The air connection in the front of your coach is to connect the tow trucks air brakes to your air brakes. As Brett said DO NOT connect or cut into your air system. Look into all of your compartments for a air chuck. On our Dynasty the air chuck is in the front left (drivers side) compartment. It is also a access door for my fuel tanks. I am willing to bet you have one some place. You didn't say what coach you have. You should contact your coach manufactuer and ask if there is one. Until then go to your local or on the road truck stops to air up your tires.

Good Luck and Happy RVing

An outlet for air hose connection might not be as valuable as you think. While I did find it handier to use than going to a station for air, I have abandoned the use of mine. I inflate the front tires to 110 pounds. The air pressure system on our coach cycles between 130 pounds at cut-out, quickly down to 110 psi, the operating pressure. At 110 pounds, you can't get the last 3 or 4 pounds in the front tires and the pressure in the system doesn't drop enough to cycle so I have to manually drop the pressure by pumping the brakes or opening a valve. Then if I can catch the pressure between 110 and 130 before the air compressor cycles off again, I can get the last few pounds in to get one tire to pressure. Then on to the next tire! The rear tires are a little easier but at 100 psi they still take a while to get the last few pounds.

When we parked for the winter, I always tried to inflate tires to their maximum, 120 psi, but could never get that done for all six tires. It is almost impossible to get one tire to that pressure with the system described above.

I looked at many inexpensive air compressors and finally purchased an air compressor at Lowe's for a little over $100 on sale. It is larger than I would have preferred but it turns out to be just what I was looking for as far as function. It operates between 130 and 150 pounds which gives me enough pressure to quickly inflate all my tires. It saves me idling my engine for 20 minutes or more to make minor adjustments in tire pressures. Now when I park the motor home for the winter, all the tires are inflated to 120 pounds and I can adjust as necessary quickly and easily during the winter. It has also been handy for operating air tools at home. I hardly use my built-in air hose connection any more.