rdjl972

Generator (Onan 10K) Starts But Won't Stay Running

Hello Everyone,

We recently took our 2008 Monaco Camelot with a 10K Onan generator out of storage. Everything works fine except the generator, which starts and runs for 15 minutes or so, then shuts down. The blink code is "1" which indicates overheating. In checking the coolant overflow tank we found it cracked and Onan was nice enough to supply a new part as old one was just out of warranty (217 total hrs on genset). After the tank was replaced, same thing ... it shuts down.

I'm thinking air filter and possibly an obstruction in the exhaust somewhere (it was not plugged during storage). I will be checking those two items later this morning.

I'd certainly appreciate any help. We're on our way to West Yellowstone Montana and sure could use the generator. Does anyone else have any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, I had the same problem 3 weeks ago and after changing fuel filter, I contacted Onan and my local Cummins dealer and decided to change the fuel filter in the bottom of the fuel pump which did not fix the problem so I changed the fuel pump. In my case that was the problem a weak fuel pump.

It is really easy to change, after you clear the supply line of fuel from the main tank. Mine did not have a shut off valve in line so I disconnected the inlet line at the fuel pump and put the hose in a fuel container then went to the fuel tank and took the line loose, gravity cleared the line. After the pump is changed, leave the outlet hose loose, in order to prime the new pump, I disconnected the small control wire(either one) from the starter solenoid, pushed the start switch, which will allow the pump to work without turning the starter. The prime is very quick. Connect the outlet line from the pump and look over the connections one more time, start generator and check for fuel leaks.

My Monaco Dynasty is a 1995 model that I have owned for 12 years. My generator does not have any type of codes that I could use so I had to start somewhere.

As always work in a well ventilated area.