josephszabosr

Rust on Rotors

We park for extended periods near salt water, often a year at a time. The motor home is started, jacks retracted, slides retracted and a little forward and backward motion once a month is our routine. Rust still begins to form on the rotors even if we go for a longer ride with the coach. Has anyone tried coating the rotors with brake clean, ospho rust reducer, just sanding, light silicone coat?

When we park for extended periods of time, particularly near the ocean, we disconnect and drive someplace like a winery or some other attraction which keeps the rust from becoming a problem. We also hose the salt off the coach surfaces which also takes care of the bird droppings. Spraying a barrier on exposed metal brake surfaces is generally not a good idea since it diminishes the adhesion between the rotor and the pad. Moving the tires is a great idea. I would extend that nicety to the rest of the coach to keep the salt air from intruding into the coach through open windows, ceiling fans, and engine. Suggest while you are enjoying the view you wipe down a section of the outside surfaces with Protectall or, better yet, 303. Don't fall off the roof.

All rotors and drums will show rust. The only area to be concerned about is where the pads make contact. I live on long Island and fight salt all the time and rotor's have never been a problem. I would be much more concerned about protecting the rest of your M/H. If your rotor's come in contact directly with salt water, just wash with fresh water. That's all. Any surface rust that forms on your brakes will come right off after you use them a few times. My boat trailer has rotors and after it goes into the salt water, the maker of the trailer also states just to wash with fresh water. My trailer is used only two times a year and the brakes will show rust but will clean right up with just a little use.

Couple of points. First, surface rust does appear on rotors. Yes, it will appear quicker if exposed to salt air. And it is NOT good to start an engine and only drive a few feet. Better for everything (engine, transmission, wheel bearings, rear axle, brakes, all seals, tires, etc) to drive at least 25 highway miles if you start the engine. You want the engine OIL, not just coolant, to get to operating temperature for long enough for moisture in the crankcase to evaporate. Brett