Sign in to follow this  
drc@dbcunningham.com

Towing post-2004 Honda Odyssey

Honda sanctioned four-down towing on the Odyssey through 2004, then changed that stance starting with the 2005 models (and there is evidence that they did change transmissions that year). Some folks say the towing policy change was initiated by lawyers as typical corporate CYA; others say it was initiated by engineers, because there really is a possibility that RV towing will cause transmission damage, even if the proper Honda towing procedure (still dictated for "emergency towing") is followed.

Remco is no help -- their website says all Odyssey's through 2008 can be towed as-is, but on the phone they say their official policy is that the post-2004 versions are not towable.

Regardless of the official policy from Honda, some people are towing them anyway, so I'm trying to get a real-world progress report. If you've had experience towing a post-'04 Honda Odyssey four down, I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience. Have there been any transmission problems?

Thanks!

Denny

As I write this, my wife's '05 Odyssey Touring model is in the shop getting a new tranny. The service writier asked whether we had ever towed this vehicle. Told him we bought it used, but were told that the original owners had towed it behind a motor home, and the connections on the front of the vehicle would seem to bear that out. Now, it looks like we get to pay a $3400 repair bill! Not a happy camper here.

I don't know what kind of mileage is on the 2005 Honda that was mentioned in a reply but , but their Odyssey transmissions are only good for about 75000 miles. I towed a 2002 Odyssey. At 75000 driving miles the transmission went out. It was replaced under an extended warranty. At 153000 driving miles the transmission went out again. I always followed their 8 hour limit. The car has been towed 80,000 miles. I don't know how to equate driving to towed miles, but this has been my experience