gorm50

Coach Net Disappointment

Extending my vacation following the GLASS rally in Berrien Springs while traveling S on US 31 experienced unfurling of awning during high winds. Slowed and pulled onto shoulder, limped to exit and found barrier behind trees to pull down awning and brace. Luckily, I incurred no damage to awning or coach. Was shocked as awning has metal cover over the fabric and arms are secured by velcro but STILL I had 3-4' of awning flapping in the wind.

Calling CoachNet I was immediately upset as agent persisted in gathering worthless information, ie size of coach, engine, transmission, etc, NOTHING that had anything to do with an unfurled awning!! Agent transfers me to tech, who in two sentences tells me what Coach Net will do, ie roll up awning and secure OR remove awning. They would NOT attempt to fix the problem. I expressed concern as storms were threatening and even higher winds were forecast.

Well, after waiting over two hours (In IN (RV capital of world), outside South Bend)I find I am unable to get timely service. Frustrated, I find I am able to retract the awning and secure it. Called and cancelled service call. As I am turning around in an industrial park the service provider shows up. He apologizes for delay as he got held up?? I stop and learn he knows NOTHING about awnings, was instructed to remove the awning - ONE GUY in high winds?? Told him I'd gotten the awning secure and wouldn't let him work on the coach as he admittedly knew NOTHING about awnings! He insisted on being paid for his time and mileage as Coach Net only paid for the service call. Was surprised I'd be paying as the guy NEVER got out of his truck.

Upon return home I called Coach Net to determine liability if any, complain about the delay in IN outside South Bend, and fact that ONLY one guy comes in high winds to remove a 23' awning and knows NOTHING about RV awnings. Was told I'd get a response within 24 hours. Still waiting that response. What is ironic I cancelled my Allstate coverage based on assurances Coach Net were RV experts, WELL, I'M NOT IMPRESSED!! Before I cancel and return to Allstate, what positive or negative experiences do you have to share, please?

Thanks,

Gorm

We had our automatic awning blown open on May 18 while driving through a wind storm in New Mexico. Went through exactly the same routine you went through with the CoachNet representative -- asking questions that had nothing to do with our situation. She wanted to know about mile-markers, which were not on that highway, and landmarks we could see, even though I told her we were exactly 5.6 miles south of Lemesa, Texas on U.S. 87, on the shoulder of the road facing north. She continued to ask such questions as color of coach, etc. as if there might be others on the shoulder of that highway with their awning unfurled. CoachNet was to call back, and we gave them two cell phone numbers and we made sure that at least one was available at all times. They never called back. It was getting late, and finally at 4:45 pm we called Billy Sims RV in Lubbock. They arranged for a mobile RV service to drive from Lubbock (65 miles one-way) to get our awning rolled into its metal encasement and secured. We made all arrangements ourselves, with zero help from CoachNet. We are platinum members. What a disappointment!! The next morning we got a call from "Jim" at Billy Sims RV to be certain we needed no additional help, but no feedback from CoachNet.

BKatMarks

Just had to call to have our auto towed to repair shop. Call took about 5 minutes. The Coach Net rep called me back in less than 10 minutes stating that the tow truck would be on site within 30 to 45 minutes. The truck picked up our auto in 26 minutes and was on his way to the service shop of my choice. Total time about 41 minutes, not bad. This is the 4th time I have had to use Coach Net, 3 times for auto and once for the coach. All were positive experiences.

We had our automatic awning blown open on May 18 while driving through a wind storm in New Mexico. Went through exactly the same routine you went through with the CoachNet representative -- asking questions that had nothing to do with our situation. She wanted to know about mile-markers, which were not on that highway, and landmarks we could see, even though I told her we were exactly 5.6 miles south of Lemesa, Texas on U.S. 87, on the shoulder of the road facing north. She continued to ask such questions as color of coach, etc. as if there might be others on the shoulder of that highway with their awning unfurled. CoachNet was to call back, and we gave them two cell phone numbers and we made sure that at least one was available at all times. They never called back. It was getting late, and finally at 4:45 pm we called Billy Sims RV in Lubbock. They arranged for a mobile RV service to drive from Lubbock (65 miles one-way) to get our awning rolled into its metal encasement and secured. We made all arrangements ourselves, with zero help from CoachNet. We are platinum members. What a disappointment!! The next morning we got a call from "Jim" at Billy Sims RV to be certain we needed no additional help, but no feedback from CoachNet.

BKatMarks

Interesting that Coach Net "persistence" in gathering useless info continues - slow learners or answering agents with NO RV understanding.

Interesting that Dometic confirmed I was doing all I could do and ONLY way unit could have unfurled was lever had moved to "down" position and wind had opened the awning.

Interesting that Coach Net tech was unaware, and failed to offer a viable solution to me that might have resolved the exposure without delay.

Interesting that I was assured my complaint would get a response within 24 hours and it is now 5 days.

Strikes me they put far more effort into recruiting NEW subscribers than they do improving their processes and performance!!

Gorm

Edited by wolfe10

I was having my annual VA state safety inspection conducted the other day at a business that specializes in heavy truck recovery. I was taking to the owner about the difficulty in having a large coach towed or trailered. My coach, being 43 feet long, may be impossible to trailer tow legally. Apparently there's a maximum height limit of 14'2", although the company owner said this is commonly exceeded in the mid-west.

Our conversation included his opinion of the common towing service contract providers, Good Sam and CoachNet. He said he will no longer tow for either one of them. If I wanted to pay or if he was contracted to tow by Allison or CAT, no problem. He said that one of the two of these companies owes him quite a bit of money and that their contract rates are far too low. The other has unrealistic contract rates and never allows the right sized equipment to be dispatched first. I've heard similiar stories where a stranded coach had to wait for a 3rd or 4th tow vehicle and company to show up before a tow vehicle with sufficient capabilities showed up.

I guess I should not have been surprised given Good Sam and CoachNet are selling an insurance policy. Anyone selling insurance is in the business of limiting the cost of claims. Obviously, some companies do a better job at meeting the claims expectations than others. What was most discouraging with the conversation we had is to realize getting a tow may be very difficult in Northern Virginia given there are few heavy equipment recovery companies and this one is not going to help me out if I call my insured.

Gil

I have had good experience with Coach Net. They are not a repair service. They do the search for you and provide for tow service, thus they need to gather data about your coach to find the best service. It is not needless information they ask for.

This was a surprise to hear but I have only had to use them to open a locked door. And like others said, they are just referring to others to do the actual service. Hopefully things will go better when I need them someday.

My recent experience with Coachnet implies some changes have been made in their selection of roadside service personnel. Has Coachnet contracted out to Goodsam or Roadside America? The one looked at the my Coach & immediately proceeded to say they are all different. Then had trouble finding the AIRBAGS. They proceeded to disconnect the leveling valve in rear of coach, when the problem was FRONT PS airbag would't air up. He left to get some fittings, next morning I called him & cancelled his service. Next service came out looked around underneath then for some unknown reason front aired up, all along he is trying to broker a $1200. tow job. I chose to drive it to Gaffney FL Oasis. It is working now. Good Sam no better from experience.

Hi, I have used Coach net several times over the years and found them great. Once somewhere in the middle of nowhere in TX, on a Sunday our Rialta died. It was around 3pm, when I called Coach net they advised it would be awhile to get someone to us. By 6 a tow truck arrived, having traveled over 70 miles to reach us. Since the Rialta is based on a VW and it was a Sunday and we were in the middle of nowhere, Coach net could not locate a shop. What they did do is a) made reservations at the nearest campground B) had us towed to the campground. c)Next day at 10am, had another tow truck arrived to tow us 130 miles to a shop that worked on VW RVs. Cost for all this was the camping fee at the campground! We have also have used Coach net to help locate repair shops for general repair work and tire repairs. As for asking "useless questions", thats just part of the info sheet that the phone agent needs to fill out. They are attempting to help you from a afar. Also remember Coach net like all of the other Road assistance do not provide repairs, they locate a shop that should be able to help and arrange to get you to the shop, or have the shop send someone to get you going.

Brian Ellis

F373554

Have had Coachnet for a while and thankfully have not had any occassions of need so can't comment on services BUT... just traded coaches and considering Blue Sky insurance with full roadside assistance... any one have experience good or bad by comparison to Coachnet ?

The problem we had with Coach Net?

After a five state trip and 400 miles from home,

had a blowout just outside of Mt Shasta on I-5.

My coach has it own onboard spare tire.

We were about 30 miles from Redding,CA, and Coach Net asked the same crazy questions,

and over four hours to get a truck out.

On top of it, the driver tried to "fleece us" for a $25.00 service call

over four hours to get a truck out.

On top of it, the driver tried to "fleece us" for a $25.00 service call

Jaaybird, Welcome to the Forum.

I am sorry that Coach Net had to ask you so many questions, however they need to know the information to get the closest service to you. I am sure they are also sorry that they don't have service companies every 10 miles along every route in the USA. As for the driver trying to "fleece us", this was not Coach Nets Fault. I am sure that if your brought this to their attention that that service company would be dropped from their call list.

I believe that Coach Net did just what they needed to do to get you service as soon as was possible. The name you should be expounding on should be the service company that tryed to Fleece You. There are a lot of RVers out there that would like to know who to avoid.

Good luck and are glad that you had the spare tire so you didn't have to buy one from the company sent to service you. By the way did the company sent out call you to check on your location? Did Coach Net keep in touch with your to asure you were taken care of? They have always followed up when I needed them.

Jaaybird, Welcome to the Forum.

I am sorry that Coach Net had to ask you so many questions, however they need to know the information to get the closest service to you. I am sure they are also sorry that they don't have service companies every 10 miles along every route in the USA. As for the driver trying to "fleece us", this was not Coach Nets Fault. I am sure that if your brought this to their attention that that service company would be dropped from their call list.

I believe that Coach Net did just what they needed to do to get you service as soon as was possible. The name you should be expounding on should be the service company that tryed to Fleece You. There are a lot of RVers out there that would like to know who to avoid.

Good luck and are glad that you had the spare tire so you didn't have to buy one from the company sent to service you. By the way did the company sent out call you to check on your location? Did Coach Net keep in touch with your to asure you were taken care of? They have always followed up when I needed them.

to all of your questions.... no

Coach Net is not a repair service. They do the leg work to provide service. If you didn't understand that when you signed up then I suggest you read what you sign up for. They provided what they were supposed to for two flat tires and an air pressure regulator problem. They ask the questions to determine your situation. They do provide for tow service when required.

I have had to use Coach-Net twice. Both times they asked all of the above questions, some I felt they needed and others not so much, but that is their job. Both times I needed a tow and they called back to confirm a towing company was coming and when. The last time was on a weekend and they couldn't find any service (I was in a very rural area) so they towed me to a safe place to stay (RV Park) and then arranged for a tow on Monday morning. Bright and very early on Monday they called to say that the tow truck was on the way and they also called and arranged for quick service at the dealer I was going to.

I feel they did the job I signed up for.

Did some of the above phone Coach-Net and ask for the "technical assistance" or "roadside emergency dispatch"? A few of the above posts suggest a wrong routing of their call. Over the years I've called and talked with a qualified service technician who helped me trouble-shoot several issues over the phone. This is a distinctly different service from the "roadway emergency dispatch" feature.

If you call with an emergency, you will get an information-gathering operator; expressly trained for fact-finding. On the other hand, a service tech call will get you a Dometic [or other brand] knowledgeable tech. who can get into the guts of the problem & help resolve the issue.

I had C-N with my former coach & renewed with current coach, now 8 years strong. Also experienced two emergency breakdown calls with instant response.