BrianB

CAT 3126 Turbo Wastegate Stuck Open

The wastegate on my turbo is frozen in the open position.

Anyone know how to free this up?

Anyone have a picture of the wastegate?

Anyone ever remove and replace their turbo?

Yes, I have removed a turbo. it is not that hard. There are usually four bolts that old it onto the exhaust manifold, the exhaust output connection and the air inlet connection and two oil lines, one being a high pressure line usually on the top of the center housing and one large oil drain on the bottom. I would find a truck turbo rebuilding place close by. They are there and you just have to find them. Take the turbo off and take it into them. I bet it can be fixed without replacing the center core of the turbo because ot is all on the exhaust housing side. It is very hard to get the housing off yourself without nicking or damaging the turbines. The turbo shop can pull them apart easily. The turbo shop can also get you the new gasket for between the turbo and the manifold and one for the bottom oil drain. You should probably also consider using new grade eight nuts when you install the turbo. Make sure you torque those four nuts/bolts holding that turbo on or they will come loose. I always check them for tightness after a couple of hundred miles.

Soak it in Kroil and let it set approx. 20 min. then spray it again, unhook the pin connecting the lever, gently tap it. This usually breaks it loose.

Roger

2006 Beaver Monterey

Soak it in Kroil and let it set approx. 20 min. then spray it again, unhook the pin connecting the lever, gently tap it. This usually breaks it loose.

Roger

2006 Beaver Monterey

Got some PB Blaster from a hot rod friend and am trying it tonight. If I can get it freed up I should get some boost from the turbo that I have been missing all along.

I am afraid to take the circlip off the linkage as I will never get a tool much less my fat fingers into that tiny space to reinstall it. My linkage is actually frozen in the wide open position. The pressure actuator is fuly extended and the wastegate lever needs to be tapped (pulled) down to release it. I will use a bent nail inserted into my slide hammer and see if it will break free.

Some of the guys have said that the wastegate will open at only 18psi and they have left theirs in the closed position so they have more boost.

I have used a product called Super-Lube to keep items free. Spraying the Exhaust gate, Exhaust brake, VGT and areas where moving parts get very hot.

I do this about every 6 months just to keep things moving.

The lube has a temp. Range of -45 to +450 degs F.

It’s also! The only lube that I have found that is food safe for use on oven door hinges and other food areas where there is heat.

D.M.