KarenColeman

Satellite Service From Motorhome

We have a class A motorhome with Directv and a cell phone booster. Our question is what is the best way to get unlimited coverage as cheaply as possible.

We are retiring soon and want to be able to be on internet several hours a day without it costing a small fortune and have reliable service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

I should also mention that we have Verizon for cell service.

I am currently using a Verizon wireless MIFI that will connect 5 wireless devices. While it isn't unlimited, I have never gone over the 5gb per month. I use it a lot for surfing and emails, but do not download movies. When this contract runs out and since I have an iPhone with AT&T service, I plan to add their data service for $20/mo. The iPhone will work the same as my current MYFI. Possibly one of these two solutions will work for you.

Guest BillAdams

Unlimited is likely impossible but "a lot" of access can be quite affordable. Satellite internet is the most expensive option due to the higher upfront hardware costs but is the only service that will give you coverage everywhere in the US plus Canada and Mexico. Cellular hardware costs are minimal and average $50-$60/month for 5GB of data but the coverage is not as wide spread (certainly good, especially East of the Mississippi, but not available everywhere or outside US).

Free wi-fi is available in many places but then it's not only hunt and peck to locate but also questionable as to quality once it's found.

What's important to you will help guide you.

If you have a newer phone from Verizon, you can setup your computer and phone to allow your computer to get internet access by using your phones internet service. You can also connect up to five things on it. It is a little slower than Verizon's WiFi card, but with your booster it maybe fast enough for your needs. Call Verizon and check if your phone has the ability to do this and what your data plan is. You may have to upgrade your IE service a little.

What happened to Hughes net that you could carry with you.

A few years back a follow host at a campground had Hughes net setup with a portable dish. They carried it everywhere
they went and set it up themselves. Now you can only get Hughes net with an expensive automatic satellite system or have a permanent stick type address.

I use an Iphone with a mobile hot spot through Verizon...I have been very satisfied but I have never been in the situation of "no service"...Unless you want to spend big bucks there will always be a situation where you just have to talk to the spouse or yourself...lol