A tow dolly is a short, two-wheeled trailer that transports the towed vehicle with two of its wheels off the ground. Things to keep in mind before using a tow dolly:

Weigh your towable, hopefully with separate weights for each axle, so you'll know that you're not exceeding the tow dolly's rating.

Tow dollies are fairly universal, but there are different options available.

Know the dolly's weight capacity, but unless you're going to tow a Suburban, a loaded minivan or something in that neighborhood, the weight shouldn't make much of a difference.

Tow dollies are adjustable for width, and some of them articulate in the corners.

When considering a dolly, remember that they absolutely cannot tow a vehicle backward. For that reason, tow dollies are not applicable to rear-wheel-drive vehicles.

You should not consider a tow dolly without brakes or without an emergency breakaway device. And for safety's sake, you'll also need additional auxiliary lights on the towable even if the tow dolly has lights.

If you're considering buying a dolly, I would suggest renting one first and trying it out on a trip before buying one. You might not like using one.

Hi Jim,

As you can see by my signature, I tow both ways. I towed a car, back-wards for over 10 year, with no problem.

Good suggestions Jim. We started with a tow dolly. After one year we abandoned it. Problems we ran into included having a low front end on our toad which required we carry some wood blocks to raise the ramps so the front of the car wouldn't scrape on the dolly. The dolly had surge brakes (the weight of the car coming forward during a stop caused the brake cylinder on the dolly to activate its brakes) but the mechanism that activated the cylinder had to be replaced several times. Finally we had a flat tire and try as I might, I could not find a replacement tire for the tow dolly. I had to purchase one on a rim from a representative of tow dolly manufacturer. That was the final straw and I gave it up. We currently tow four wheels down. I would love to use a trailer to protect my toad but the hassle of dealing with a trailer in campgrounds is one that I am not willing to accept.

Hi Jim,

As you can see by my signature, I tow both ways. I towed a car, back-wards for over 10 year, with no problem.

Hi, Gary.

I'm sure you have, but that doesn't make it safe. In every towing seminar I've hosted, tow dolly manufacturers have stressed that towing backward is unsafe and shouldn't be done.

Hi jimbrightly,

I've been to all those seminars too. When attending a manufacturer's seminar it may be a good idea to consider questioning the presenter on the engineering data that supports their presentation. The attendees can make their own decision. Being a retired engineer (mechanical), I do not blindly parrot what presenters have said. If a presenters view is different than mine, I dig into the data behind the presenters view. In this case, what I have found (off line of course) is it comes down to the company attorney not allowing any statements coming close to saying a dolly owner could consider towing a vehicle backward. It has nothing to do with engineering data. I've heard all the stories about front end alignment, front end being too close to the ground, etc. Those excuses are unique to each vehicle. At the macro level, the only safety factor an owner towing backward must be sure to complete is the steering wheel must be secured, rigidly in place. The front wheel can not be allowed to turn.

I've done it, with multiple vehicles. When a process is followed for over ten years, with multiple vehicles and there has been only success, that is pretty sound information. I have no hesitation to tow backward again. It sounds like you have no experience with this and are relying on seminar presenters statements. For me it is no more or less safe than dolly towing with the vehicle facing forward. There is a difference between knowledge and skill. Readers can believe what they want. I'll listen to the person with years of success.

In my opinion, if the dolly manufacturer says not to tow backward (and they all do!), and rental agencies such as U-Haul tell you not to tow backward, there's no need to investigate further. If they could sell more dollies for those folks who wish to tow backward -- without fear of liability lawsuits -- they would okay it. I've been flat-towing vehicles for over 40 years (I even had auxiliary brakes on my '74 CJ5) without an incident. I continue to flat-tow my '07 JK, as you've probably seen in test coach photos, while I trailer my CJ7 (its tires are too expensive to flat-tow and the transfer case doesn't allow it). I've also used a rental dolly when forced to do so. In one case, my son loaded his '68 Jeep Commander on a dolly backward, secured the steering wheel, and almost rolled it when traffic suddenly stopped in front of him. He had loaded it backward because it had free-wheeling hubs on the front. He pulled off the freeway and called me to tell me what happened. I told him to turn it around, put the engine's weight on the dolly (as the weight distribution is supposed to be for a trailer), which he did and he finished towing it home without an incident. I suppose it would be safe enough to tow a rear-engined car such as a VW bug or a Porsche backward, but I still wouldn't do it.