Sign in to follow this  
jack45

Trip Routing Information

Question

I was looking for information and feedback for traveling from Estes Park, CO (Rocky Mountain National Park) to the Badlands National Park in South Dakota. I understand you can take US34 east out of Estes Park over to I-25 and then head north, but heard that parts of this route are very windy with some steep grades (the scenery is supposed to be very good). However, I understand the safe play route would be to travel out of Estes Park heading southeast on US36 and over to I-25.

I will be traveling this route Mid-August in a 40ft MH with tow vehicle.

Any feedback or information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jack Ricardo

5 answers to this question

Can't say which is best out of Estes, but I-25 is no major problem for a 40'MH. I have traveled I-25 to Rapid City and Sturgis a couple of times and will be doing it again in mid July and have never had any problems. Anytime you travel along the base of the mountains you can expect to get some winds, but I have never experienced anything that made me pull over and wait it out. As far as steep grades I have not experienced anything out of the ordinary.

Guest BillAdams

Every Interstate highway in the Country can be traveled in an RV without issue!! Yes, there are some ups and downs and yes there can be wind anywhere, but if it's safe for an 18 wheeler it's safe for you.

Thanks for the feedback; I probably was not too clear in my question; my main concern was traveling on US34 east out of Estes Park over to I-25 in an RV with tow. After a little more research, I understand that US34 east to I-25 is a scenic route (a little snaky without any steep grades) and good way to go.

Thanks for the feedback; I probably was not too clear in my question; my main concern was traveling on US34 east out of Estes Park over to I-25 in an RV with tow. After a little more research, I understand that US34 east to I-25 is a scenic route (a little snaky without any steep grades) and good way to go.

Get an Rv road atlas. Available at Campers World, it highlights all truckers routes. If it's highlighted you can travel, I'm 65 feet with tow and always looking for these traveled roads.

I live 30 mins from Estes Park and go over there (by car) very often. There is no significant difference between Hwy 34 and Hwy 36. 34 goes east through Loveland, CO to I-25 and 36 goes southeast through Lyons, then east on Hwy 66 to I-25. Once you reach I-25 from 66, you turn north and go back to Loveland. From this point on, it is the same I-25. Hwy 34 is more scenic but no more difficult to drive and a shorter route then going 36/66 to I-25. I see all kinds of RVs on that section of the road (34) all the time. In fact, there are several RV parks along hwy 34 between Estes Park and Loveland. The grades are pretty much the same on both 34 & 36. I guess what I am saying is that it is a no-brainer. If your objective is to end up going north out of Colorado on I-25, then take 34 from Estes Park. Only use 36 if you want to go to Boulder, Longmont, Lyons, Denver or points south. I have never noticed any difference in wind conditions between the two highways either. Where you may experience winds is after you turn north on I-25. Winds can be significant between Denver and Cheyenne, WY and maybe further north. Not usually a problem, but definately possible. The highway department turns on warning signs all along I-25 whenever winds are high. They state that high-profile vehicles should use caution.

Enjoy your trip.