jack45

Garmin Nuvi 465/465T Truck GPS

Guest BillAdams

There is a lot of feedback on many of the RV forums. Take a look around (search function). From what I have seen, most of the reviews are negative as it really is meant for truckers and not RVers. The Rand McNally RVND is the newest entrant into the game so take a look at those reviews as well.

Take a look at the Garmin Nuvi 560LMT which has a trucker OR RV setting. I have described my coach to mine, as an RV, and so far, it is doing well. I know that it will keep me away from low underpasses and roads which are too twisty for large coaches that are towing based on several hundred miles in western NC and eastern TN. LMT means lifetime maps and traffic updates at no extra charge.

We have one and love it. It saved us in Missoula, MT from a low underpass. We would like to know the difference between it and the one that has the RV option.

Bob

Appreciate the feedback and information; Sounds like the Garmin dezl 560 5-Inch GPS Truck GPS or the Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 5510 5-Inch GPS Unit may be the better way to go. However, both being fairly new, I’ll probably hold off a little bit and wait on more feedback on those units.

We have the Nuvi like it. I allows you to enter the length, weight, number of axles, height, etc. of your coach, and routes you away from unsuitable routes. You can set up different profiles for various vehicles (i.e., coach w/o toad, coach w/ toad, coach w/ boat trailer). I don't have much experience with competing units for comparison, but the Nuvi is working just as advertised for us.

Tim

What is the latest verdict on this Garmin nuvi 465?

Looking at the 465, wondering what folks are experiencing with this unit, now that it has been out for awhile.

I have a 465T and don't think I'd buy another one, not sure what I'd get but it wouldn't be a 465T.

It's OK for low clearances but it also doesn't route an RV off a truck route, there are a lot of RV parks off truck routes.

Guest BillAdams

That's what I have seen as the number 1 complaint. Trucks cannot take many road that do allow RV's so the routing will avoid the scenic routes that truckers avoid like the plague. A reasonable route from point A to B might take an RVer many, many miles in the wrong direction just to stay on a truck route which are required for them but not for RVers.

If you have any curiosity about the Rand McNally RVND units, I have one of the 5510 units. We bought it last October in New Jersey and used it during the trip back to Texas as well as a trip over to to Tampa and back last month. It is more RV friendly than the TND 500 I've had for a couple of years. (I now just use that one in the car mode.) I have found the RVND 5510 to be slow on recalculations and that's a problem for me in city traffic. Also the pronunciation of words/abrieviations on road signs is often laughable, if not unintelligible. The campground database and the Walmart database is not as good as the apps my wife downloaded to her telephone, and it seems that the phone GPS works a lot better and quicker in many circumstances. I just got a major update on the 5510 that I haven't had an opportunity to try yet. Several new features have been added. The 5510 does a pretty good job of advising locations of viable truck plazas, and rest areas stops, as well as dump stations and propane locations. There are still several functions that I've not investigated fully.

However, knowing what I now know I might just have opted for the data provided by my wife's phone and put the gps money in my fuel budget. I'm pretty good at reading maps and generally do a reality check before I head out anywhere using the GPS anyway.

Have fun and keep the shiny side up.

Guest BillAdams

The Garmin units seem to be going downhill with the whole pronuncation things as well. The most recent update has our Garmin pointing us to the local hamburger stand as "arriving at Berger King". They did manage to fix Wel-Mart to Wal-Mart and then decided that every hamburger was a berger. Just wait until you try to make a turn onto Laurel Canyon Road (shown on the road signs as Laural Cyn Road). That's putting way too much sin in the city. :o

Received the 465LMT on Monday, a day earlier than promised by Amazon. Setup initial locations, paired the Bluetooth to the Samsung, sound is sharp and coherent. downloaded address book automatically, outlines call history, missed calls, etc.

Will take a 200 mile trip this PM, will use on auto and transfer to truck option going and returning to check differences, warnings, weight stations, etc.

Interested to see performance in comparison to the previous Garmin with outdated maps.

The only problem is most of the trip up and back is by interstate.....The moral of the story is don't get married and have kids, oooops, tooo late.

Initial reaction, based on setting the Garmin up, and getting use to the new screen, functions, etc. is positive. Will see how and if it gets me there and back.

Have to get used to the slide option of turning on and off. Downloading new updated maps, adding pictures is a breeze.,,,,,ooops lost the address book on the Garmin, back to the drawing board.

We have been using GPS for 3 years, quite an education.

Truckers GPS (Rand 700) keeps us on proper size roads for our rig. Slow, but good for locating truck stops. Recently they said they have campground updates available.

Garmin is great to keep you in the right turn lane, faster locating sites but misses many. I agree they may be getting obsolete, even as I update them constantly.

Droid telephone (verizon navigation ap) is faster, shows terrain and a picture of the destination site which is great in new cities. Also there is an ap that lets you contact others on the same route and get traffic info. The drawback here is more no service problems in the mountains.

I find I usually have at least two in my lap while going down the road, One will tell what the other misses. Always, I get an idea of where I want to go on a map and then log info into GPS. If I had only one it would probably be the Droid phone, I love to keep the Droid watching the terrain and see what we are passing, lakes with campground, etc usually mean a good stopping place.

We also have a "Backtracker" which I find very good to find my way back to camp when out on the atv. When the sun dissappears we get lost. It also works in cities but we never have used it for that.

I really do not know how we could get around with out a GPS. Spouse did a short tour diving an 18 wheeler coast to coast and he wrote his route on the drivers window with a wax pen, sure glad we do not have to depend on that!

Used the 465LMT, traveling back from VA recently. Although I was driving the Jeep, I set it in Truck mode using an RV icon I downloaded.

What I like about the 465 in truck mode. Provides warnings about being off preferred truck route. I drove into a rest area and went to the car side, and received the warning. Also, when entering a shopping area, received a warning about not being a preferred truck route. Also received notices of, truck weight and inspection locations.

The traffic information was accurate when in an area receiving traffic notices.

What I especially liked was the icon listing the current speed limit on the route I was traveling. On one occasion it was wrong. It posted the current speed limit to be 55, actually it was 65. An error I can live with. I believe the reason for the difference is that the current location was on the fringe of the city, and the speed may have been recently changed.

Every other time in city or out, the speed logo changed almost as the exact location when the speed limit changed. I like this feature, now I don't have to ask, did you see what the last speed limit sign indicated.

I did enter a height advisory, and the 465 did not indicate a warning, however, the height I set for the RV was probably below the height advisory warning. I would have liked to have had the warning anyway.

The info is easily accessible. The dash mount from my previous Garmin 680 works for the 465, except the electrical connection, which is a different plug.

Bluetooth was easy to activate and sound was adequate. I have Bluetooth in the Jeep, so won't use it. However, bluetooth will be used in the RV.

Overall, I like the 465LMT, and the lifetime map downloads.

No major negative issues with the unit after this brief trip.

I have used my 465T for several years. Overall, I would give it a C.

It does some things well, and some things frighteningly bad. I just got back from a long trip. Several times, it routed me down roads I had no business being on because it was trying to avoid a "trucks not allowed" road segment I HAD to travel to get to the campground. This led to some very bad moments on very narrow streets with very low limbs in all of the cases. I have learned to ignore the warnings of being off a truck route and the weigh station warnings. The curvy road warnings are wrong more than they are right. I have never once received a height or weight warning, so I don't know if that part really works or not.

On the more positive side, it does calculate routes quickly, and adding my own points of interest is fairly easy. Overall, I would not buy a 465T. In fact, I'm looking for something else now - considering both the Rand McNally and the Magellan RV models.

That's what I have seen as the number 1 complaint. Trucks cannot take many road that do allow RV's so the routing will avoid the scenic routes that truckers avoid like the plague. A reasonable route from point A to B might take an RVer many, many miles in the wrong direction just to stay on a truck route which are required for them but not for RVers.

Does anyone know if this also happens on the Dezl 560?

thanks!

Paulo.

Over the winter downtime we traded our truck/rv Garmin dezl560LMT for the new Garmin RV760LMT. The 560 worked well for us overall, but I wanted the ability to get real-time weather information displayed on the same screen as our navigation, and the new RV760 does that and more in spades. It does require a link via smartphone/android to get the information, which meant I would have to enter the 21st century and upgrade my flip phone. In short, it was worth it. Like the dezl560, you can enter the specifics of your motorhome, weight, height, width, length, etc, and it will help steer you away from things like low underpasses and bridges that are not strong enough for your rig. One of the other features I like about the new Garmin is its' ability to display "what's ahead". It will show things like fuel, food, hotels and rest areas ahead on your route, that I find very useful. The new Garmin can also be operated via voice command so you don't have to remove your full attention from the task of driving. But wait, there's more! It also has a pretty comprehensive listing of campgrounds and rv resorts and the services they offer. You can put your rv requirements (minimum hookups) into the Garmin and it will filter the stored data to display only those places or all campgrounds, as you prefer. After getting used to all the stuff our Mercedes shows on its' navigation screen, I just had to have this new Garmin and have no regrets for getting one. Disclaimer: Never trust a gps of any make or model without backing up what it tells you with a good map and good sense.

Anyone try the TomTom VIA 1605 M RV?

We have the standard model that we are using in our class A and aren't sure if its worth spending the money on a RV specific model and if so which one.