rrlowther

12 Volt Fuse Panel Location

Now before I share my issue, please know that myself and three technicians spent nearly an hour looking for the 12V fuse panel for the chassis, running lights, turn signals etc.

We have a 2000 Safari Zanzibar on a Magnum chassis. We took our coach in for repairs. Part of the scope of work was to install an M&G supplemental braking system. After having been told repeatedly that the coach had air brakes we learned that the coach in fact has an air brake for parking only and air shocks.

So we have to purchase and install and add-on device that works through the hydraulic brakes. We finally picked up the coach after a month in the shop and took it home. As per usual someone in a very small car pulled out in front of us without much notice. So I did what anyone would do and hit the horn a couple of time. Thing is nothing happened. I do know we have an air horn.

I turned around and went right back to the shop. They explained it was probably a fuse. So we started looking for the fuse panel. We found the 12V panel for the coach lighting, furnace ignition etc. But we were completely unable to find the 12V panel for the coach.

We went through all of the manuals but did not find anything on the location of the panel. We are taking our very first trip in the coach on Monday from Denver to Phoenix. I have done about 100 searches on the net and haven't found anything of use.

Does ANYONE have any idea where the fuse panel might be located?

Signed Clueless and Confused! :)

I'll be following this topic to find out where you finally find those fuses. Several years ago we were at Prospect Park in Wheat Ridge, CO. I had visited with a neighbor casually off and on during our stay. As we werepacking up and unhooking, preparing to depart, he was out working around his motor home. I guessed that something was wrong as he had run the generator several times for short periods. I started a conversation and told him that we were leaving. He asked me if I knew where the fuse panel for their coach might be located. I confidently assured him that though I wasn't familiar with his coach, I should be able to find it. After all, I've been poking through coaches at RV shows for years.

His coach was not from a manufacturer I had a lot of experience with. Even so, I began looking in all the usual places. One by one we eliminated locations. We looked near the batteries, under the drivers seat, all the basement compartments. Then we went inside the coach and began looking in cabinets, the closet, all the places I'd seen fuse and electrical panels in other coaches. I finally gave up and told him I was completely puzzled. There had to be a panel but I couldn't locate it. Be sure to let us know the results of your scavenger hunt! Good luck.

One thing you might try if a reply here doesn't help would be to call Monaco Technical Service. Monaco acquired Safari and Beaver around 2002 and even though they didn't manufacture your coach, they have records and techs from those manufacturers. The phone number is 877-466-6226. Give them a try Monday morning.

Here are a couple of pages from my manual. It's a Holiday Rambler so it may not be of any help (other than it's also in the Monaco family) but I thought I'd let you have them. My main compartment is the one below the drivers window, farthest one forward on the left side. Send me an email if the pictures are too grainy as I had to shrink them to get them on this reply.

Here is my email address: mikev@me.com

Monaco Chassis Electrical 23.pdf

Monaco Chassis Electrical 32.pdf

Safari owned Beaver in 2000. Also in 1998. I have a 98 Beaver, so things are likely similar. My 12 VDC panel is adjacent to the 120 VAC panel behind the outboard port side cabinet door above the bed. You need to unscrew the cover to see it.

Good luck finding the prize.

Safari owned Beaver in 2000. Also in 1998. I have a 98 Beaver, so things are likely similar. My 12 VDC panel is adjacent to the 120 VAC panel behind the outboard port side cabinet door above the bed. You need to unscrew the cover to see it.

Good luck finding the prize.

There is a 12v panel next to the breaker panel in the back over the bed. But the fuses in that panel are for interior lights, furnace ignition and the like. : (

UPDATE! I have been pouring through the my manuals and although the manual says the 12V panel is located on the drivers side shift console, I am still unable to find it. However, I did find the Breaker Boar list that shows the circut number, amps and function. Turns out the Horn shares a 20 AMP Fuse with the emergency flashers.

I tried the flashers and they are working. So I would assume that the horn has power as well. However, when I activate the air horn I get nothing....

Any thoughts on what the issue might be? Where the devil the air horn is even located? Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

Know that it's greatly appreciated!

Here are a couple of pages from my manual. It's a Holiday Rambler so it may not be of any help (other than it's also in the Monaco family) but I thought I'd let you have them. My main compartment is the one below the drivers window, farthest one forward on the left side. Send me an email if the pictures are too grainy as I had to shrink them to get them on this reply.

Here is my email address: mikev@me.com

Mike,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, they didn't help. I did determine that the hazard lights share the same fuse as the horn. The hazard lights are working. So I'm working under the assumption that the horn has power. I'm now attempting to locate the horn itself. Let's just say that's not proving to be any easier then locating the chassis fuse panel! LOL

I knew it was at best a long shot...if you can find the horn actuator, usually it is a solenoid like device that is activated by electrical power to allow the compressed air to travel to the horn- then you will know if there is electrical power getting to it, also if there is air getting to it. You were originally having work done that may have affected the air system on the coach, it could be your air supply is restricted... Find the solenoid and you will find which is missing. Good Luck

You can trace the air line from front air plenum up to the horn solenoid or from the horns down to the solenoid. After you determine how it works (whether the horn button supplies the GROUND (more common) or 12 VDC positive to the solenoid, you can disconnect the wire from the horn button and apply ground/12 VDC positive.

That will quickly tell you if the solenoid is bad or if there is problem in the wiring, horn button or steering column.

Brett

Your comment above indicates you have not located the air horn. If you have air horns, they are almost always located on the roof of the coach at the front end. You can't miss them; they look like a pair of trumpets. Just like you thought you had air brakes but didn't, you might not have air horns either.

If you do have air horns, there will usually be main components. First the control button on the steering wheel. That sends power to a solenoid/actuator (the second component). The solenoid/actuator opens an airway to send air to the horn trumpets (the third component).

Let me suggest you check your rooftop first. If you don't see air horns (usually two), then you may have electric horns which would typically be located somewhere in the front of the coach, and are often behind a grill or vent of so the sound can escape. Electric horns come in a variety of shapes; they could be trumpets, circular, or small boxes.

If you find air horns on the roof, there will be small air hoses leading to the solenoid/actuator which is sometimes under the roof above the upper front cabinets or console. It should have two wires attached. Place a voltage meter across those wires and have a helper push the horn button on the steering wheel. If you don't find power, the culprit may be the steering wheel horn button. If you do find the power going on and off as you press and release the steering wheel switch, the solenoid/actuator would appear to be the trouble.

If you don't find air horns on the roof, the test is the same, except you need to find the electric horn and test with the two wires coming into it. If there is no power, check using a separate ground and see if that works. If you don't get a reading either way, then the trouble is probably the switch on the steering wheel; but it could be failed wiring also.

Find the horns and let us know where they are and what type they are. Then we can help you get to the bottom of this issue more quickly.

Good luck,

Tim

C&C:

Also try opening the shift console to look for the fuse panel. It is held in place by only a few easily removed screws. (an invitation to exploration)

If you have air horns, don't bother pressing the horn button unless your air is charged. The air pressure gauge on the dash will tell you.

Your brakes are most likely the same as mine (98 Beaver). These are hydraulic brakes that are assisted by air, not vacuum, as your car. That is why you need to wait for the air to build before you put her in gear, as without that air charge, no assist on the brakes. The yellow button is only for the parking brake, which is set by releasing the air that holds it off. The parking brake is no substitute for the air assist, if you do put the coach in gear before your air has built.

I am surprised your M&G required an air assist. Do you have an air bleed back in the service area? If so, you definitely have enough air for the M&G, without adding anything. (mine is plumbed for M&G, by tapping off an existing air line in the braking system)

If you have "air shocks" I think you are talking about the air bag suspension. My magnum chassis has 8 air bags. The amount of air required to keep these inflated properly is sufficient to supply air for the other things, brake assist, horns, close out, air chuck in the service bay, M&G, did I miss any?

Your chocks are most likely hydraulic. Look under, you should see the air bags, 10" dia, 8" to 12" tall, depending on when you look under, and the shocks, they should look like the ones on your car, only bigger.

We finally found the chassis fuses. They are located on the wall of the battery compartment. The 12V fuses for the coach are in the bedroom in the overhead cabinets...