JacknKay

1994 Honda Accord (SE)

I was lucky enough to find a Blue Ox Aladdin towbar on Craig's List. It was hardly used and came with electric and safety cables. That's the good news.

Today I found out from Blue Ox that they do not make a baseplate for my Honda Accord. Seems mine is an SE, and that's why. Not sure what the difference is between an LE and and SE as far as the baseplate goes, but so be it.

I checked with Roadmaster and they do make tow bar attachment brackets (baseplates?). I would need an adapter between the brackets and the Blue Ox tow bar, and Roadmaster makes those, too. That should work.

I'm still considering the ReadyBrake system for supplemental braking. It seems so easy to deal with after the cable is installed. One problem for me is getting someone to install the brackets on my Honda. Has anyone installed their own brackets?

Thanks, I have that document. It doesn't look hard, but you do need to get the car up high enough to get under it. Sounds like I need to get with a shop with a lift.

Do you have the towing procedure for your Accord? If not I can give it to you.

No I don't and would appreciate it. The manual doesn't say much, so no help there.

Jack

No I don't and would appreciate it. The manual doesn't say much, so no help there.

Jack

This is a letter I got from Honda in 2002. I have towed my Accord over 75,000 miles with no problems. I think they changed the policy in 2005, perhaps because of warranty issues with people that did not follow the procedure. I have seen a number of posts from people that have towed late model Accords with no problems.

Although the letter said CR-V's can't be towed 4 down I think that may be allowed nowadays.

"02/22/02

(all models except CR-V)

Dear customer:

Regarding your inquiry on towing your Honda or Acura automobile behind a motorhome:

For your vehicle, the Owner's Manual advises against towing at more than 35 m.p.h or for more than 50 miles. However, this recommendation exists primarily because Honda has not conducted formal tests at higher speeds and for greater distances.

We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by motorhome towing of Honda/Acura automobiles with either manual or automatic transmission, so long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds.

Manual Transmission

When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.

• Release the parking brake.

• Shift the transmission to Neutral.

• Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY (1) position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.

Automatic Transmission

When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill.

If Honda/Acura automobile with an automatic transmission is towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing:

• Start the engine.

• Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1).

• Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off engine.

• Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (1) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures.

NOTICE:

The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the ACCESSORY (1) position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle.

CAUTION:

Severe automatic transmission damage will occur if the car is shifted from reverse to neutral and then towed with the drive wheels on the ground.

NOTICE:

Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be on a flat bed truck or trailer.

If you tow a Honda/Acura vehicle with automatic transmission, the fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Although experience has shown that the Honda/Acura transmission and powertrain are capable of being "motorhome towed", America Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator.

If you have additional questions, please call American Honda Motor Co. Inc. (National Consumer Affairs) at 800-999-1009. "

Manual Transmission

When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.

• Shift the transmission to Neutral.

• Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY (1) position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.

If you have additional questions, please call American Honda Motor Co. Inc. (National Consumer Affairs) at 800-999-1009. "

Thanks ClayL, I have a manual transmission. Thanks for the number too, might be handy to have.

Jack