Sign in to follow this  
johnf

50AMP Service Home Installation

Howdy All,

I'm going to have a 50AMP outlet installed at home and I'm looking for info to ensure the installation is done correctly. Why? My neighbor had a 30AMP service installed and when he plugged in it blew every thing in his RV and was very costly to repair. Schematics, diagrams, voltage requirements 120/240 and test procedures would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Happy Trails,

JohnF

2008 Bounder Diesel 38F

Texas

Here is a source of information about 30 Amp and 50 Amp service for RV's. RV Electric Service If you aren't comfortable working with the electric, consult an electrician and use this site for your reference in discussing the installation with the electrician. Don't assume that they understand the requirements for RV's. Unless they have experience working with RV's, they may not understand what is required for a safe RV service.

I installed my own 50 amp service last year and it was not that difficult. First let me tell you that I normally pull the main fuse just to change a light bulb, because I don't like electrical systems, because I don't understand them. I was very lucky that I found a retired master electrician at Home Depot and he walked me through the whole process. I already had a sub panel coming off my main and this also made it very easy. You can buy everything you need at Home Depot or Lowe's including the 50 amp box with lid. The most expensive part is the wire. My 50 amp box is about 40 feet from the sub panel so I dug a trench and used conduit vs direct burial due to cost and did the job in one day. Also check in that some cities require a permit to run new service.

Guest Wayne77590

I had mine installed according to the diagrams give above. Then, before I plugged anything in I metered according to the diagram to make sure everything was correct.

Check, double check, and check again.