Sign in to follow this  
Gbritton

Retractable step, '99 Itasca 37' Class A On Ford Chassis

The retractable step on my '99 Itasca, 37' Class A motorhome on a Ford Chassis is spongy at the rear end of the step. The step itself is fine, whatever the step is fastened to is failing.

What am I getting into in order to stiffen up the mounting system or repair whatever has come loose?

The retractable step on my '99 Itasca, 37' Class A motorhome on a Ford Chassis is spongy at the rear end of the step. The step itself is fine, whatever the step is fastened to is failing.

What am I getting into in order to stiffen up the mounting system or repair whatever has come loose?

Gbritton, Welcome to the Forum. If you aren't a member of FMCA yet join now and try some of the chapters in your area. You will meet some great people that have lots to share.

Your step problem is in the bottom step. You may have more then one problem. The base of your step should be plywood layed on a metal platform. Hopefully only the wood has deteriorated. If so just replace the wood. However your wood may be fine and the metal frame attached to your coach may have broken. You will need a welder. However t :D his can quickly be checked by lifting your coach with the jacks and looking under the step. While under the coach, but not under the step, have someone step on the step and see where it gives. Hope that you are lucky and only find loose bolts.

I had to repair the steps on my Winnebago. They were spongy for awhile and then failed. A bolt broke leaving the steps held by the actuator arm and one bolt on the step assembly (motor,actuator arm and mounting bracket).

When I removed the step assembly from the main mounting bracket then I could see the heads of the three bolts. Two were broken at the head. Two had been broken for a long time - there was rust on the bolts where they broke. The one that had just broken had been cracked for some period of time.

I replaced all four of the bolts and found that the blind holes in the housing were not taped all the way to the bottom of the holes. The bolts were loose when they were screwed all the way in and that allowed enough slop to cause the bolts to break. I did not have a flush tap so I put two washers under the heads of the bolts and I was then able tighten them properly.

The metal bracket that the step assembly is bolted to and the pivot shaft holding the steps is connected to has been known to have problems. The bolts that mount it to the motor home come in from above. To remove it you would have to remove the bottom internal step. I haven't done that and am not sure exactly how to do it. I would call customer service and ask them if you need to remove it.

This picture shows the assembly and the main bracket:

Step3a.jpg

This what the step assembly looks like from the backside:

Stepa1.jpg

Gbritton, Welcome to the Forum. If you aren't a member of FMCA yet join now and try some of the chapters in your area. You will meet some great people that have lots to share.

Your step problem is in the bottom step. You may have more then one problem. The base of your step should be plywood layed on a metal platform. Hopefully only the wood has deteriorated. If so just replace the wood. However your wood may be fine and the metal frame attached to your coach may have broken. You will need a welder. However t :D his can quickly be checked by lifting your coach with the jacks and looking under the step. While under the coach, but not under the step, have someone step on the step and see where it gives. Hope that you are lucky and only find loose bolts.

Thank you for your reply. I am a member of FMCA and the bolts are all tight. I imagine there is a weld somewhere that broke. I was hoping so get a heads up on where and how I must access the break, without disassembling the entire door frame.

Gary

Thank you for the reply. I'm quite sure the step mounting system is at fault. Gary

I had to repair the steps on my Winnebago. They were spongy for awhile and then failed. A bolt broke leaving the steps held by the actuator arm and one bolt on the step assembly (motor,actuator arm and mounting bracket).

When I removed the step assembly from the main mounting bracket then I could see the heads of the three bolts. Two were broken at the head. Two had been broken for a long time - there was rust on the bolts where they broke. The one that had just broken had been cracked for some period of time.

I replaced all four of the bolts and found that the blind holes in the housing were not taped all the way to the bottom of the holes. The bolts were loose when they were screwed all the way in and that allowed enough slop to cause the bolts to break. I did not have a flush tap so I put two washers under the heads of the bolts and I was then able tighten them properly.

The metal bracket that the step assembly is bolted to and the pivot shaft holding the steps is connected to has been known to have problems. The bolts that mount it to the motor home come in from above. To remove it you would have to remove the bottom internal step. I haven't done that and am not sure exactly how to do it. I would call customer service and ask them if you need to remove it.

This picture shows the assembly and the main bracket:

Step3a.jpg

This what the step assembly looks like from the backside:

Stepa1.jpg

Thank you for your reply. I am a member of FMCA and the bolts are all tight. I imagine there is a weld somewhere that broke. I was hoping so get a heads up on where and how I must access the break, without disassembling the entire door frame.

Gary

Gary, We had a 98 Monaco Windsor that had the problem and it was just loose bolts. However my bro-in law had a Gorgie Boy that had a drooping step when weight was put on it. For some time he just put small screw jack support under the step. After much badgering from me, he was having some work done and had the shop take a look. Sure enough he had broken welds. They repositioned the step braces rewelded the supports. No more problems. He still uses the small screw jacks when parked and setup. I kid him that it like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time. OK with him.

What area are you from? Are you'll members of any chapters?

Hope this helps. :)