ronbrs

Towing Honda With Automatic Transmission

As you probably know there was a procedure that had to be followed to tow Honda's 4 down.

If it wasn't followed part of the transmission could be left in reverse and that could cause damage.

In 2006 as I recall Honda no longer allowed 4 down towing of most of their models.

The speculation is that enough people did not follow the procedure and there were so many resultant warranty claims that Honda decided to no longer allow it. I haven't seen that confirmed however and they still allow some models to be towed - CR-V,CR-V 4WD, and the Fit.

Actually it was in 2005 and we ran into it with our 2005 Ody. Honda paid us for the towing gear we had installed and we bought a dolly. Now figuring that there are owners towing their '05 Ody's so we are too. Only towed it a few hundred miles so far but no problems yet. Don't forget to release the parking brake though!!

I have been towing a 2005 Element for 2+ years now (approximately 10,000 miles) with absolutely no problems. After attaching the tow bar & while holding the brake down, I shift from park to drive one, then up to drive two, then slowly release the brake, then shift to neutral, let idle 5 minutes and then turn the engine off leaving the key in the number 2 (accessory) position.

I stop every 2 hours, start the engine, hold the brake down and shift to the lowest drive position and then slowly up through each gear to park and then back to the lowest gear, then up to drive two, release foot brake and then shift up to neutral, let idle for 5 minutes and then off I go for another 2 hours.

I also follow the Owner's Manual and don't exceed 65 miles an hour.

Would you clearly state what the procedure is for towing an Odyssey EXL 2006

I do not under stand why you have the battery disconnect switch and leaving the key in what position ( 0, I, II ). Position III starts the car.

Don't the wheels have to be locked straight forward key position (0)?

I guess I am just confused.

Your help appreciated.

I assume you are towing 4-wheels down? You do NOT want your front wheels (on towed vehicle) locked in the straight ahead position. The wheels must be able to turn left or right as the motorhome goes around a corner. Think about a child's wagon the you might pull behind as you are walking along. When you turn a corner, the wagon wheels turn to follow you. If they didn't, the wheels would be drug sideways. This is true of any car being towed with all four wheels on the ground.

I'm not familar with Odysseys, so can't answer question about battery disconnect. I am sure someone will answer that question.

The '04 Odyssey was approved by Honda for towing, the 2005 and newer are not. Honda paid us for the towing gear we had installed on our 2005 Ody. Luckily we got it in writing from Honda on Honda lettrerhead that it was towable before we bought it!

My 2012 Civic owners manual states it can not be towed 4 down. The part of the manual(emergency towing) states to get a sucker truck to pick up the car if you need to move it. There is no approved method of emergency towing. I haven't been brave enough to try 4 down, I got a tow dolly.

Bill

I've towed our 2004 Element ( AWD / auto trans) about 5000 miles so far with no problem. In the 2004 Owners Manual there is a procedure outlined to prep for flat towing. Its my understanding that in about 2005 or 2006, Honda stopped including this procedure in Element manuals, tacitly prohibiting the flat tow without a specific prohibition. But there was no technical change to the vehicle that would warrant such a policy change. It is the opinion of many owners that this was simply a move by the Honda USA legal department to try to sidestep any future potential liability. I know of several post-2005 owners who flat tow Elements with no problems, following the pre-2005 procedure.

is there anyone out there towing Honda Odysseys years 2010 to 2013?

Also, anyone towing an Odyssey that is the touring model? I understand the touring may have a more gear transmission.

Please call 772-569-8154 till 10:30 est or cell during daytime hours at 772-532-1799

or email me at LLONALD@AOL.COM

THANK YOU

LLONALD, VERO BEACH, FL.

I want to know if anyone has been brave enough to tow a 2011 Civic with an auto trans 4 down. The manual states you should NEVER tow / emergency tow, get a truck to pick it up. This could be just CYA from Honda. Looking for someone to try it out for me. I am currently using a tow dolly and would like to tow 4 down.

Bill

I recently upgraded my tow vehicle from a 2000 Honda Accord (towed four down) to a 2008 Honda Accord. This vehicle according to all the information I could gather should not be towed four down.

I purchased an Acme Tow Dolly to tow this car. It appears this will not be too much of a hassle except at my advanced age I find it difficult to lift the dolly to move it.

I purchased a regular boat trailer jack , but am unable to use it because the surge brake line runs under the tongue and this is a side mount jack.

If anyone has had this problem and solved it, I would be very interested in your solution.

Thank you

email wjpontiff@att.net