mkenway

Routing North East

Question

I travel from Newfoundland to Florida in January. I have a 36 ft. Suncruiser with a toad. I have taken I 95 to I-90 and then I-84 west to I-81 south. The highway East of Scranton, PA and south of Scranton is very rough, so I was wondering if someone might have a smoother route. I would prefer to stay away from the large cities on I-95.

I was wondering if 84 west to 287 south and then I-80 or I-78 West to I-81 would be a smoother ride. I was hoping not to have too much mountainous highway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MKenway

3 answers to this question

Guest Wayne77590

I have traveled from Texas to Massachusetts about 5 times in the last 3-1/2 years. My preferred route is:

From Mass:

I-84 to US-209 (US-6 into Milford, PA. There will be a sharp left turn in Milford, but I made Sharp right hand turn going North)

US-209 to Stroudsburg continuing to PA-33S.

PA-33S to I-78W

I-78 (Short ride on I-81) to US-15 into Gettysburg. (Artillery Ridge a good place to stop. Passpoert America Park) If you have never toured Gettysburg, and have the time, it is a facinating piece of American history.

We stay on US-15 all the way to US-17 and come out at

Fredericsburg, VA, missing all the major cities, except Richmond.

If you did not want to do I-78 you could take US-222 to US-30 to Gettysburg.

Happy trails.

Thanks for your suggestion! It looks like a good option. I looked at that route before, but was afraid it wouldn't be the best option for winter driving. I will take a different route this winter.

Thanks

MKenway

Thanks for your suggestion! It looks like a good option. I looked at that route before, but was afraid it wouldn't be the best option for winter driving. I will take a different route this winter.

Thanks

MKenway

The route through Pt Jarvis/Milford (US209) is what years ago used to be called by truckers "The Ho Chi Mihn Trail". The Delaware Water Gap area is very pretty, but I am not sure I would count on it in January. At least you have an alternative and can always go the I-84, I-81 route, you can be sure that will be one of the first cleared in the event of snow.