Sign in to follow this  
jack45

Amarillo, TX to Estes Park, CO

Question

Coming out of Amarillo is it better to work west over to hit I25 north and go thru Pueblo or stay north out of Amarillo and hookup with I70 W in Limon?

How the grades and roads?

I’ll be traveling in 40ft MH towing a vehicle.

Thanks, Jack Ricardo

8 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams

I am confused by your post and the suggested routes. The only route I can see from Amarillo, TX to Estes Park, CO is I-25. You have the choice of about 200 miles on 87N to I-25N or taking I-40W to 84N to I-25. The direct route will save you about 120 miles but the Interstate route could be faster/easier as I know nothing about 87N.

Google Map shows the route north to Limon and then west as 19 miles shorter with exactly the same drive time as taking 87 and picking up I25 at Raton.

The plus about the Limon route: avoids most of the mountains. The negatives: a couple of small towns and some not so good road surfaces (at least when we took it last summer on our way home to Texas from Redmond, OR). We often choose the less beaten path (fewer Interstates) and would probably repeat the route we took.

Brett

We just came through the route to Limon about a month ago. The rough road still persists south of the Texas/Oklahoma border. There are additional rough patches and some road work south of Limon. Still, we prefer the route for its shorter distances and lighter traffic. If you enjoy mountain driving and scenery, take the interstate.

Jack,

I didn't get whether you wanted scenic or direct. We travel to Cheyenne, WY to see our kids. We love the trip. We go out of Amarillo north to Dumas on 87/287. Then on into Dalhart on 87. To Texline to Clayton, NM. Across NM on 87 to Raton where we pick up I-25. North on I-25 to loveland, CO and west to Estes Park on Hwy. 34.

Along your way you will find a city owned RV park that is free in Dumas. Clayton, NM has a really nice downtown area. In Capulin, NM there is a national monument for the volcano. Raton, NM has a great downtown area with lots of shops my wife loves to visit. North to Trinidad, CO through Raton Pass is a nice WalMart on the south side of Trinidad that has lots of people parking there at night. The one place I always stop is in Pueblo, CO. That wonderful town has the Honor to have 5, FIVE, Medal of Honor Recipients from there. A record for any place in the world.

As you can see we love the trip up to Cheyenne. We have taken as long as 4 days to get there and as short as 23 hours (Grand Sons Birth). Go, take your time and enjoy the trip. :):):)

Herman,

Thanks for the information; I plan on following your recommendation.

I was thinking on stopping in Pueblo for the night, by chance would have any recommendation on a decent campground or good place to stop for the night?

Again thanks, Jack Ricardo

Herman,

Thanks for the information; I plan on following your recommendation.

I was thinking on stopping in Pueblo for the night, by chance would have any recommendation on a decent campground or good place to stop for the night?

Again thanks, Jack Ricardo

Just one. Do Not, I say Do Not stop at the KOA north of town. If you are going north on I-25 and you exit for the park, you must go under the Hwy. through a narrow, 1 lane, 13' hight tunnel. If you are going south and exit for the park, you must make a 180 degree turn that can not be made pulling a tow. The road in is in really bad shape. That being said, the people were nice and the park would be a 5 on a scale of 10. W stayed in Pueblo twice. once south of town in a mobile home park that had several RV sites, and once at that KOA. If we need to stay we would either Dry Camp at the large WalMart or check rvreview.com for recommendations.

But do go downtown the the Memorial for the Medal of Honor reciptants. :rolleyes:

We just came through the route to Limon about a month ago. The rough road still persists south of the Texas/Oklahoma border. There are additional rough patches and some road work south of Limon. Still, we prefer the route for its shorter distances and lighter traffic. If you enjoy mountain driving and scenery, take the interstate.

I agree with Herman, all roads to the mountains out of Amarillo lead to Raton :) the scenery is great, the road is good. Why punish yourself in Oklahoma and Kansas - get to the mountains as quickly as possible.

Wave

I agree with Herman, all roads to the mountains out of Amarillo lead to Raton :) the scenery is great, the road is good. Why punish yourself in Oklahoma and Kansas - get to the mountains as quickly as possible.

Wave

Wave,

Welcome to the Forum. As an old sailor and I see the word "WAVE", I think of the lady sailors. As a FMCA member I think of what I do when I meet another RV on the highway. Both are good.

Are you members of any chapters? What area do you reside in?

Good luck and Happy Traveling. B)