Sign in to follow this  
bairman

Canada Gun Laws

Does anybody know what the laws are in Canada for a U.S. citizen entering in a motor home with a handgun?

My wife and I went to Alaska in 2009 and declared a shotgun at Canadian Border crossing. It was a mod 870 Remington pump 12 gage with a slug barrel. Prior to making the crossing I researched on Canadian web site and downloaded the permit. In my research as I recall taking a pistol into Canadian was not a option. I took my shotgun for protection from the bears. When we were in Alaska just about every Alaskan fisherman was carrying a firearm. I was chased out of the river by a Grizzly who wanted my salmon more than me. So a firearm can serve for more than protection from other humans. My motto, if you have a firearm in your MH do not tell or brag to anyone about the firearm, and hopefully you will never it. If you out in an isolated remote area it can give you a comforting though!

Guest BillAdams

My wife and I went to Alaska in 2009 and declared a shotgun at Canadian Border crossing. It was a mod 870 Remington pump 12 gage with a slug barrel. Prior to making the crossing I researched on Canadian web site and downloaded the permit. In my research as I recall taking a pistol into Canadian was not a option. I took my shotgun for protection from the bears. When we were in Alaska just about every Alaskan fisherman was carrying a firearm. I was chased out of the river by a Grizzly who wanted my salmon more than me. So a firearm can serve for more than protection from other humans. My motto, if you have a firearm in your MH do not tell or brag to anyone about the firearm, and hopefully you will never it. If you out in an isolated remote area it can give you a comforting though!

Sorry, but this is horrible advice if you use the word firearm to include "any" firearm. Going into Canada with a handgun does not qualify under the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy. Taking a handgun into Canada is about as serious a violation as anyone can incur. Yes, shotguns and rifles are allowed but absolutely no handguns. Unless you are feeling like the luckiest guy/girl on the planet, taking a handgun into Canada is like playing Russian Roulette. You might get away with it but if not the consequences are extreme!

I have to add this one. We went to Alaska in 2006. Along the way, we stopped at many informational pull outs on the Alaska Highway. We were in Yukon when we pulled off at a roadside stop. I went to read the information boards. Louise saw a man coming out of the woods with a shotgun. She elected to stay in the motor home. The shotgun was broken open when he exited the woods. The gentleman was in the process of discussing the gun with another tourist when an RCMP patrol car went by, made a quick U turn, and lights flashing, pulled up to the gentleman with the gun. I heard him say to the officer that he had a permit. We packed up and left as the officer was entering the 5th wheel trailer of the gentleman with the gun. I don't know what came of this encounter but I suspect it was not good. I believe the one requirement for carrying hunting weapons into Canada is that they be out/in use only in the presence of a registered game guide (my terminology here may not be correct). The point is that if you decide to take a hunting gun into Canada be sure to read their regulations carefully. You don't want to be the person we saw. At the least, their trip would be greatly delayed. If he had the proper permits he might get off with a warning or a fine. I suspect a complete search of the trailer followed. Who knows where that led?

We saw many bears while in the US and Canada. We were always cautious and never had any problems even though in some cases we were amazingly close to where the bears were (Hyder, AK). We have never traveled with a gun and in 10 years full time have never felt the need for one. We haven't even ever wished we had one on board.

I don't get why you think meeting a bear requires the use of a gun. Seems to me that is what bear spray is for. No need to kill the bear just for being in your presence. I have been close to black bears and grizzly bears. Carrying a gun never occurred to me. Being careful did.

Also, in the States you may feel safer if you are the guy with the biggest gun. In Canada, nobody carries handguns except the authorities and the urban criminals. You won't get shot just for trespassing accidentally.

Bear spray is permitted in Canada but pepper spray is not. You can find details of Canadian Customs Laws at this Canadian Border Services web site. The Canadian Border Services web site home gives other information about crossing the Canadian Border including wait times at various border crossings.

I tracked down a memorandum which distinguishes between bear spray and pepper spray. Go to memorandum page 11 (Adobe Reader shows this to be page 12) near the bottom of the page is the letter of the law.

Sorry, but this is horrible advice if you use the word firearm to include "any" firearm. Going into Canada with a handgun does not qualify under the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy. Taking a handgun into Canada is about as serious a violation as anyone can incur. Yes, shotguns and rifles are allowed but absolutely no handguns. Unless you are feeling like the luckiest guy/girl on the planet, taking a handgun into Canada is like playing Russian Roulette. You might get away with it but if not the consequences are extreme!

It is a serious offense to possess an unregistered firearm of any kind in Canada these days; plans are underway to scrap the long gun registry but all can be taken care of by phone and fax; visit the Canada Firearms Centre online for full details. Try visiting http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm.

For $25 and ten minutes of your time you can obtain a permit and registration for up to three non-prohibited weapons, good for two months and renewable without charge by a simple telephone call.

Have a look around the site. If you are a regular visitor to Canada you may wish to get a proper long term permit and register your handguns, obtaining ATT's for them (authorization to transport). As an American I have all of the above along with a long term ATT that permits me travel throughout the country and to border points to/from the USA.

This is my first visit to this site and I am pleased to be able to clear up some misinformation. You should also take the time to read up on legal transportation and carry of handguns (NOT permitted to be carried without a specific ATT given for protection against wildlife). And while you are at it, with the Remington 870 12 guage, I highly recommend having a look at the latest in defensive rounds by Dduplex at their website. Expansion to 1.5" of rotating steel fanblade coming out of the barrel and impact with such high energy as to liquify the innards of the bear that wants you for lunch. Imagine what an off-the-mark hit to an intruder might do? Nudge, Nudge. Wink, Wink.

What's this about Orlando hitting the top ten most violent cities in North America? The home of Mickey? I had an attempted carjacking last time I was there. Bumped from the back, driver walks to my window and taps on it with the BIGGEST honkin' revolver I ever did see from the wrong end of the barrel. He was high as a kite, so the minute the lights turned green we floored it, pedal to the metal and were lucky he did not open fire. My last trip to Florida unarmed.... I saw him coming from 35 feet away but could not get away due to cross traffic. We will be buying a place in FL this fall so will take up residency there for half the year. And get a permit to carry as soon as humanly possible.

No worries about traveling through Canada with handguns or long guns; just know the rules and get your paperwork in order for $25 in advance by fax or mail.

Happy Travels!

I don't get why you think meeting a bear requires the use of a gun. Seems to me that is what bear spray is for. No need to kill the bear just for being in your presence. I have been close to black bears and grizzly bears. Carrying a gun never occurred to me. Being careful did.

Also, in the States you may feel safer if you are the guy with the biggest gun. In Canada, nobody carries handguns except the authorities and the urban criminals. You won't get shot just for trespassing accidentally.

Sorry. Hate to correct you but last week, if you check the papers (google) a couple were EATEN by a Black Bear out west. Make no mistake that Canada is getting worse all the time as far as the bad guys are concerned - having a Remington 870 loaded with 12 guage Dduplex rounds IN the RV at night is probably not a bad idea; during the day you have to transport unloaded and locked up... read up.

Forget the bear spray and the pepper spray.... you have obviously never seen a Black bear or a Grizzly on the trot. They can cover 21 feet faster than any human can and when they reach you it is game over. You will never have a chance to use the bear spray.

A few years ago the Department of Natural Resources gave a seminar on Black Bear defence. Wear those little sleigh bells so as not to startle them and carry bear spray (and hopefully it doesn't blow back into your eyes). And how do I know if there are bears in the area so I don't have to walk around with bear spray in my hand all the time? I asked. It is very simple.... keep your eyes open for Black Bear feces on the ground. And how to recognize same? Easy again! It smells like pepper and has shiny little wee bells in it.

Whatever. I'm going with the 12 guage. The bear wants to attack me it is going to be seriously screwed if I have time to get a shot away.