jhh4smh

GS Extended Service Plan

Our rig has served us well but is getting along in years. We are considering the "Gold" plan to help out if things start going downhill but had a bad experience with a warranty company on a car 15 years ago so are reluctant to support it full bore. Has anyone had bad experiences with this plan?

Coach Net is a roadside emergency company, not a warranty company. Coach Net does not pay for any repairs. It only pays for towing or bringing a service agent to the site of your breakdown. You have to pay for all labor and parts required. They do a good job of getting you off the road when you break down.

Warranty companies have contracts that should be read carefully before signing anything. Generally they require complete maintenance records with supporting receipts. They won't pay for things that wear out, only things that are defective and fail well before their expected life. If you have an older coach, there is little that hasn't performed for a significant part of its expected life. If you are thinking that a warranty plan will pay for things as they wear out, you will likely be greatly disappointed.

Sorry, I was thinking roadside assistance. I have Camping World extended warranty, use to be Freedom Care. They have paid 4 claims that I have had, but sometimes we have had to have lengthly discussions before they paid.

Thank you TBUTLER. I agree that the warrantee companies have an incentive to not pay. But this is the Good Sam Club Extended Service Plan and it might be a little different??? I have used their roadside emergency plan once and was favorably impressed. The salesman seemed to suggest that wear and tear was covered as long as the part in question wasn't abused. He went on to say that I only had to provide maintenance records from the time I sign up; that I would not be held to past maintenance. I am really looking for people who have been refused benefits (or not). There are so many systems on our rig that other than oil changes, etc., I don't know what I don't know.

I have had the Good Sams plan for about two years. Eighteen months I had it covering a fifth wheel and they paid 3 claims, had no problems. for the past six months I have had a policy covering a motorhome, they have paid one claim, this time it took a little bit of talking, and the claim was very small.

I should have mentioned that when we first started full timing we had just purchased a used motor home, a 1994 Monaco Dynasty. We signed up with GS for their extended warranty protection. After about six months I had a list of fix-its that I took to a dealer. I mentioned the GS warranty and they indicated that they had never had much luck with GS and dealing with repairs. I called GS and talked with an agent describing the problems. The first words out of the rep's mouth was, "You haven't had the policy long." We talked for a while but I never made progress in getting the items covered so I dropped the service. I consider the six months fees paid a valuable lesson. We paid for the repairs ourselves.

I guess to put this to bed, we were looking for someone who has used the Good Sam Extended Service Plan. We received no real answers about the plan. I did, however, talk to two RV service places and neither one suggested I join. They said it was always a hassle to work with the company and many times the problem could be fixed for far less than the cost of the plan (which to me was $1,400 annually). So that's where I'm going. Thank you anyway for those who responded.